Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post

Some sort of intervention could be the best thing to happen to someone that is leaning toward going down the wrong path.

You are thinking like someone of means... what if you are uneducated and poor?

In this situation... apparently a sibling called the authorities.
Well, it turns out it was an angry sibling who was shocked by the reaction. Common sense ultimately prevails.

But I don't see how my belief that it is dumb to turn your kids in for things like this or drug use is less true for poor people than those with "means." Quite the contrary - at least someone with money may have the means to rectify the situation when then realize the consequences of their act might ruin their child's future. The uneducated and poor would be totally at the mercy of the system - not a good situation.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
But I don't see how my belief that it is dumb to turn your kids in for things like this or drug use is less true for poor people than those with "means." Quite the contrary - at least someone with money may have the means to rectify the situation when then realize the consequences of their act might ruin their child's future. The uneducated and poor would be totally at the mercy of the system - not a good situation.
I did not mean to imply it was dumb. I understand what you were saying. In general I agree with it... especially if it were minor. For example: what parent would call the cops on their kid if they found them in possession of a small amount of marijuana? Probably not many. They would seek some other form of intervention.

Drugs... if they are an addict on the road to ruin or death. might be the only way.

Violence... that is a tough one. It might take strong intervention at early signs of adult violence.

They threw a lot of charges at her.. I think that is common... they wanted to make sure that at least one of the charges might stick if it goes to court.

If this person has no prior record... it will likely be reduced it in some sort of plea agreement.

Hopefully this person gets some help with anger management (basic life coping skills).

Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They threw a lot of charges at her.. I think that is common... they wanted to make sure that at least one of the charges might stick if it goes to court.

If this person has no prior record... it will likely be reduced it in some sort of plea agreement.
All charges have been dropped.

Reported in the New York Post:

March 12, 2011
Authorities are dropping all of the charges against the Brooklyn teen arrested for murdering the family hamster -- and the brother who dropped a dime on her couldn't be happier.

"I called the ASPCA on her for spite. I didn't think they'd go this far. I thought she'd do community service or get a fine," said Aaron Smith, 25.
Instead, his hot-tempered sibling Monique Smith, 19, was cuffed and hauled off on Tuesday and charged with felony and misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty, as well as endangering the welfare of a child.

Smith allegedly murdered Sweetie, the tragic hamster, in a fit of rage by twice slamming the critter to the floor.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

The media types whose coverage of this pathetic situation was both inaccurate and sensationalistic should, however, be water-boarded until they confess what degenerate examples of human life they are.

Just saying.........
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The media types whose coverage of this pathetic situation was both inaccurate and sensationalistic should, however, be water-boarded until they confess what degenerate examples of human life they are.

Just saying.........
The media is great at that. Yesterday the CNN web page had a link to a "nuclear explosion" at one of the power plants in Japan. It was an explosion at a nuclear power plant not a nuclear explosion.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
But I don't see how my belief that it is dumb to turn your kids in for things like this or drug use is less true for poor people than those with "means."
Quote:
I did not mean to imply it was dumb. I understand what you were saying.
Don't worry Chinaco, I was arguing with you, not complaining that you were dissing me If you will look back at my original quote I wasn't saying you thought I was dumb (although you very well might ) I was saying I thought it was dumb to report the kid.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
All charges have been dropped.

Hopefully she learned something from this experience besides "how to get away with murder"
Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Hopefully she learned something from this experience besides "how to get away with murder"
Me too Westie. You know I'm an animal rescuer at heart. However, I sure don't want to see a young girl's future compromised. I hope the experience taught her a lesson without ruining her future.

Peace
Old 03-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Who did she murder?
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #70
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionfinder View Post
Who did she murder?
Sweetie...
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sweetie...
Murder is the killing of a human with malice. OJ got away with murder. This person got away with killing an animal.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #72
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionfinder View Post
Murder is the killing of a human with malice. OJ got away with murder. This person got away with killing an animal.
Hamstercide, to be exact...
Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Hamstercide, to be exact...

This might be confused with the poor little thing committing suicide, so I vote for Hamurderster.

(I'm making light of the attempt at the english lesson.....not the incident of poor Sweetie's death)
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #74
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
This might be confused with the poor little thing committing suicide, so I vote for Hamurderster.

(I'm making light of the attempt at the english lesson.....not the incident of poor Sweetie's death)

Just heard on the news that the Funeral Home handling the arrangements was broken into and the body stolen. Authorities suspect the hamburglar...