Teen in U.S. charged in death of family hamster

How many would call the authorities on their kid for this - knowing just the facts in the article, or irregardless of the particular facts? Would it matter if you knew felony charges would be brought? As mortified as I would be, I just cannot think I would do that.

A felony count for killing a hamster? Wow, I hope they never find out what happens to rodents I find in my house. I might get the death penalty.

Kinda reminds me of my nephew. When he was about 5 there was a huge toad hatch near a lake and we pointed out to him a beautiful, delicate little tiny toad and showed him how it was perfectly formed miniature of an adult. When we set it down, he stomped on it. He is now 42 years old, homeless and toothless. Coincidence? Maybe.

Story time. I know a woman so sensitive she could not even step on a bug, and still cannot. Moles in her yard get to stay totally unmolested. She is as sweet and gentle as it would be possible to be, especialy toward defenseless animals, though she can kick the crap out of a man when she cares to.

She is 58, managed to get almost no money from a divorce from a very successful man, blew through a good sized inheritance from her parents mostly spent on her kid and her pets, and today she is broke looking forward to a low level job for the rest of her life. She is too idealistic to use the one outstanding skill she has - to find some hapless guy to take care of her and her causes.

Coincidence? I think not!

Ha

How many would call the authorities on their kid for this - knowing just the facts in the article, or irregardless of the particular facts? Would it matter if you knew felony charges would be brought? As mortified as I would be, I just cannot think I would do that.

I would not call the authorities on my kids for that but after they received my punishment they would probably have wished I had chosen the authorities.

I would not call the authorities on my kids for that but after they received my punishment they would probably have wished I had chosen the authorities.
Not anymore, IMO. I doubt your punishment, "harsh" as it may have been, would leave a permanent record and put a scarlet letter on their foreheads marking them as unemployable for life.

Reported in the New York Post:

March 12, 2011
Authorities are dropping all of the charges against the Brooklyn teen arrested for murdering the family hamster -- and the brother who dropped a dime on her couldn't be happier.

"I called the ASPCA on her for spite. I didn't think they'd go this far. I thought she'd do community service or get a fine," said Aaron Smith, 25.
Instead, his hot-tempered sibling Monique Smith, 19, was cuffed and hauled off on Tuesday and charged with felony and misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty, as well as endangering the welfare of a child.

Smith allegedly murdered Sweetie, the tragic hamster, in a fit of rage by twice slamming the critter to the floor.

I think the dad is an idiot. It is like parents asking the police to help with their kids' drug problems. Prosecution on a felony charge is undoubtedly not what dad had in mind. There are better ways to deal with problem kids than calling "the authorities."

I'll bet dad is paying the lawyer for this fiasco.

Perhaps... but maybe not!

Some sort of intervention could be the best thing to happen to someone that is leaning toward going down the wrong path.

You are thinking like someone of means... what if you are uneducated and poor?

In this situation... apparently a sibling called the authorities.

9-Year-Old Called ASPCA About Sister's Hamster Slaughter: Gothamist

March 12, 2011
Authorities are dropping all of the charges against the Brooklyn teen arrested for murdering the family hamster -- and the brother who dropped a dime on her couldn't be happier.

"I called the ASPCA on her for spite. I didn't think they'd go this far. I thought she'd do community service or get a fine," said Aaron Smith, 25.
Instead, his hot-tempered sibling Monique Smith, 19, was cuffed and hauled off on Tuesday and charged with felony and misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty, as well as endangering the welfare of a child.

Smith allegedly murdered Sweetie, the tragic hamster, in a fit of rage by twice slamming the critter to the floor.
Good, sanity prevails.

Some sort of intervention could be the best thing to happen to someone that is leaning toward going down the wrong path.

You are thinking like someone of means... what if you are uneducated and poor?

In this situation... apparently a sibling called the authorities.
Well, it turns out it was an angry sibling who was shocked by the reaction. Common sense ultimately prevails.

But I don't see how my belief that it is dumb to turn your kids in for things like this or drug use is less true for poor people than those with "means." Quite the contrary - at least someone with money may have the means to rectify the situation when then realize the consequences of their act might ruin their child's future. The uneducated and poor would be totally at the mercy of the system - not a good situation.

But I don't see how my belief that it is dumb to turn your kids in for things like this or drug use is less true for poor people than those with "means." Quite the contrary - at least someone with money may have the means to rectify the situation when then realize the consequences of their act might ruin their child's future. The uneducated and poor would be totally at the mercy of the system - not a good situation.

I did not mean to imply it was dumb. I understand what you were saying. In general I agree with it... especially if it were minor. For example: what parent would call the cops on their kid if they found them in possession of a small amount of marijuana? Probably not many. They would seek some other form of intervention.

Drugs... if they are an addict on the road to ruin or death. might be the only way.

Violence... that is a tough one. It might take strong intervention at early signs of adult violence.

They threw a lot of charges at her.. I think that is common... they wanted to make sure that at least one of the charges might stick if it goes to court.

If this person has no prior record... it will likely be reduced it in some sort of plea agreement.

Hopefully this person gets some help with anger management (basic life coping skills).

They threw a lot of charges at her.. I think that is common... they wanted to make sure that at least one of the charges might stick if it goes to court.

If this person has no prior record... it will likely be reduced it in some sort of plea agreement.

All charges have been dropped.

March 12, 2011

The media types whose coverage of this pathetic situation was both inaccurate and sensationalistic should, however, be water-boarded until they confess what degenerate examples of human life they are.

Just saying.........

The media types whose coverage of this pathetic situation was both inaccurate and sensationalistic should, however, be water-boarded until they confess what degenerate examples of human life they are.

Just saying.........
The media is great at that. Yesterday the CNN web page had a link to a "nuclear explosion" at one of the power plants in Japan. It was an explosion at a nuclear power plant not a nuclear explosion.

But I don't see how my belief that it is dumb to turn your kids in for things like this or drug use is less true for poor people than those with "means."

I did not mean to imply it was dumb. I understand what you were saying.
Don't worry Chinaco, I was arguing with you, not complaining that you were dissing me :) If you will look back at my original quote I wasn't saying you thought I was dumb (although you very well might :D) I was saying I thought it was dumb to report the kid.

Hopefully she learned something from this experience besides "how to get away with murder" :(

Me too Westie. You know I'm an animal rescuer at heart. However, I sure don't want to see a young girl's future compromised. I hope the experience taught her a lesson without ruining her future.

Peace:flowers:

This might be confused with the poor little thing committing suicide, so I vote for Hamurderster. :blush:

(I'm making light of the attempt at the english lesson.....not the incident of poor Sweetie's death)

Just heard on the news that the Funeral Home handling the arrangements was broken into and the body stolen. Authorities suspect the hamburglar...:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom