Teen in U.S. charged in death of family hamster

MasterBlaster

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Crime doesn't pay.

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) – A U.S. teenager has been charged with a felony, and could face a two-year prison sentence if convicted, for killing her family's pet hamster, authorities said.
Monique Smith, 19, of Brooklyn was arguing with a family member in June when she reached for the hamster, choked it and threw it outside the house, police said on Wednesday.
She was arrested following an investigation after Smith's father contacted the America Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, according to the society's assistant director Joe Pentangelo.
Smith is charged with one felony count of aggravated cruelty to animals.
"Sadly, very often, pets find themselves in the middle of these situations," said Pentangelo. "A family will have a disagreement and unfortunately the animal is the recipient of misdirected or redirected rage."
The hamster died from blunt force trauma, liver damage and a brain hemorrhage, he said.

Good for the dad for calling the police!

Good for the dad for calling the police!
I think the dad is an idiot. It is like parents asking the police to help with their kids' drug problems. Prosecution on a felony charge is undoubtedly not what dad had in mind. There are better ways to deal with problem kids than calling "the authorities."

I'll bet dad is paying the lawyer for this fiasco.

I did get the police involved in my son's drug problem. It is what finally woke him up.

It is like parents asking the police to help with their kids' drug problems.

No it isn't. A drug problem affects the kid bodily and no one else (until they physically act out). Once the kid has become violent toward someone else or their property, it's time to call the police.

I don't see any drug references in the posted quote.

Treating an animal cruelly is surely a sign of some greater problem, though.

I don't see any drug references in the posted quote.

Treating an animal cruelly is surely a sign of some greater problem, though.

As a kid, did you ever do the sun and magnifying glass on ants ?

Or As a kid, purposely step on a snail ?

Once more is ER.org to the rescue! There is no problem that we can't weigh in on, no matter how little we know.

Why don't they just fire those pesky Supremes (note to 73, not the Supremes that you are so fond of), and poll us on any issues that come before the court. We'll save a lot on salary and pension and benefits, and very possibly get better decisions. No matter what, we will enjoy our work!

Ha

Once more is ER.org to the rescue! There is no problem that we can't weigh in on, no matter how little we know.

Why don't they just fire those pesky Supremes (note to 73, not the Supremes that you are so fond of), and poll us on any issues that come before the court. We'll save a lot on salary and pension and benefits, and very possibly get better decisions. No matter what, we will enjoy our work!

Ha

It's called ER Entertainment...and by gosh it is free!:D

Ha

He, of 14,000 posts, notes....:cool:

The hamster died from blunt force trauma, liver damage and a brain hemorrhage, he said.

An autopsy was done on the hamster? :confused:

Poor little guy.

Not to be insensitive, but suppose, God forbid, the family cat had gotten the hamster instead. Would there be charges against the cat? Charges against Dad for reckless endangerment or criminal neglect or something. Just wondering, obviously I have nothing better to do tonight.

Not to be insensitive, but suppose, God forbid, the family cat had gotten the hamster instead. Would there be charges against the cat? Charges against Dad for reckless endangerment or criminal neglect or something. Just wondering, obviously I have nothing better to do tonight.
I would say that there should also be charges against child protective services for not pre-emptively putting this child in a better home that would certainly prevent the development of this wanton criminality.

Ha

Yes, I know most people eat meat and wear leather. And cats, dogs and other animals eat other, smaller animals. This is not usually done done for pleasure, laughs or to make a point with someone they are upset with.

Those who like to watch or directly inflict pain and suffering on helpless life forms are very distrubing to me.

i say lock this sob up now before he hurts someone. it is a well known fact that people that are serial killers abused, tortured and killed animals, it only escalates. i'd hardly compare a hamster to ants or snails! a cat killing the hamster would be a totally different situation than what happened.

i say lock this sob up now before he hurts someone. it is a well known fact that people that are serial killers abused, tortured and killed animals, it only escalates.
This is an excellent statistical analysis! You should become an expert witness!

Uh, not when I was 19 years old and surely not on a hamster. :nonono:
Agreed.

It was another time (1967), but I left "home" (no, it really wasn’t) when I turned 19 and never returned. When you're in the position of being an adult (even though it was considerd age 21 in those days), you act as one.

Today's "kids"? They don't measure up at all in the "responsibility" category, IMHO.

I applaud the parents in what they did, in this case.

I applaud the parents in what they did, in this case.
Can't you think of a better way to help your kids than subject them to a potentially life destroying felony charge for an obnoxious teen-aged action? I grant that this was cruel but does it merit destroying her future? That is why I compared it to parents calling the cops when they find a stash of drugs in the kid's drawer. It strikes me that there are better ways to deal with things like this than relying on authorities who do not have your best interests or your child's in mind.

Can't you think of a better way to help your kids than subject them to a potentially life destroying felony charge for an obnoxious teen-aged action?
This was not a prank, and not knowing the entire story I would venture that there were previous actions that precluded this occurrence (yeah, been there). It probably did not just start/stop with one occurrence (such as rumbling of a volcano before it erupts).

It could be because of my age, and my upbringing. My parents followed the guidance of "spare the rod and spoil the child" - the same "rule" that was followed in school by my teachers, the penguins (sorry - nuns). Neither "spared the rod". How can we raise our children without setting expectations and limits on their actions? It's the same as if you have a tomato plant but fail to attach it to a stake (e.g. "norms of normal manners/expectations") that it falls to the ground, and the tomatoes rot? Without expectations and rules, we cannot expect our "children" (regardless of their age) to flourish.

I stand by my comment. If you don't agree? Well, you are entitled to your opinion. I’m not about to change mine...

Yes, I know most people eat meat and wear leather. And cats, dogs and other animals eat other, smaller animals. This is not usually done done for pleasure, laughs or to make a point with someone they are upset with.

Ever seen a cat "play" with a catch for pleasure? Its not a solely human attribute.

Those who like to watch or directly inflict pain and suffering on helpless life forms are very distrubing to me.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom