Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I had a kid, they would be getting a job if they wanted to drive and they would pay their own insurance as I did when I was that age.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Am I ever glad those days are behind us. Youngest is now 24 and has caused 7 accidents since she started driving. One involved not seeing her mother sitting at the end of the driveway in a small roadster and backing into her, knocking her across the road. The good news in that situation is when two of your insured vehicles are involved in an accident together, the deductible is waived.

Surprisingly, we were never cancelled and the umbrella policy increased but remained affordable. We paid out of pocket for repairs for some of the accidents, which probably helped keep us insurable as a family.

My advice would be to delay putting a teen behind the wheel as long as you can and get them off your policy the minute possible.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:27 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In Wisconsin at least rates go up just about as much for the second one as for the first. Have twins and I got them a decent used car for them to both use in high school but then go the other one a nice used car when they both went to college. I didn't get them "beaters" because I want them driving a reliable vehicle. And I got them each a car because they have to pay for half of their education. It's hard to get a job without a vehicle.

They only have to put in the gas. But both have been warned that if they get into an accident which was their fault or get a traffic ticket, then they will pay any increase in rates.

Both are good students and get a discount, but it's not that much (maybe 5%)
Old 09-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Depends on the state I'm sure. When I added on my daughter to my policy they didn't want to insure her on any of my sports cars (but would have for a price), so I just added her to "one" of our daily drivers we had at the time.

I also took out an umbrella policy at the same time and have kept that. I don't recall the cost but it seemed to be reasonable to me. Not sure if adding a male teen driver is more costly, but in my personal experience, it should be. I know when I was that young, they put me in a high risk insurance pool, which was justified in my case.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #25

I consider driving a vital life skill, and teaching/ enabling my daughters to drive just another parental responsibility. Kids are expensive and parenting is not for the faint of heart.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #26
gone traveling

We pay our kid's insurance, but they are expected to get the 'good driver' and 'good student' discount, and pay the difference if they don't. They're also responsible for any tickets, or increases in insurance due to tickets/accidents.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:10 PM   #27

My DGF's nephew just bought a 1999 Corvette for his first car. He is a sophomore in high school, but had a part-time job. The kid bought it before he even got his driver's license. He had to use the Grandparents as a co-signer. it's the worst car ever for Minnesota. Rear wheel drive.

His parents are not wealthy at all. I am not sure how much the insurance went up, but I have heard that it's not that bad. Only a few hundred a year.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:25 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Here in Texas you are supposed to list all licensed drivers in a household on your policy...

Our DS moved, but is on our policy... just added another car and the rates went up... calculated the DS is costing $2,200 per year more for all 4 vehicles... he is more than doubling the premiums...

I have having him price out policies just on his car since he is not living at home anymore... we will gift him the car if we go this way...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Here in Texas you are supposed to list all licensed drivers in a household on your policy...
I had forgot about that. My DW hasn't driven in almost two years (by choice) so I talked to my insurance company about dropping her from my policy. The answer was no. I guess I could tell them she's moved out (for whatever reason) and see if my policy rates would drop.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #30

So I'm an NYC gal, born and bred in Harlem. we didn't have a car until my older brother got one when I was maybe 17, so the only reason why I got a license was because I went out of state to college and my parents thought it would be good for id purposes.

Now my sons were shall we say "late bloomers" in the responsibility category, actually they were pretty smart cookies, they quickly figured out that childhood/teenage was the best gig they would ever get and adulthood was way overrated. In my sons twisted mind, flooding the basement with soap bubbles and tying the dogs onto a sled because you just saw something on the Iditarod was a brilliant idea !

Needless to say, we thought in the interest of public safety they should not drive at 16.

while both kids worked, we wanted the emphasis to be on school work. My oldest is an Asperger kid so we definitely did not want to tie paying insurance onto being able to drive. He definitely would have neglected his school work in order to get more hours.

My youngest is still on my insurance. It really would be unaffordable for a 22 year old in center city philly to get insurance on his own. He graduates this year and the nano second he gets that diploma I'm getting him out of my pocket.

ps. lol, people have said I'm delusional but I need hope
Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #31
gone traveling

I bought my son an old vw bug and taught him to drive it. his liability only.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The OP already said his child is anxious to drive, so the younger generation doesn’t care to drive isn’t applicable.

And for those suggesting don’t let the kid get a license or make them wait - would that have been OK when you reached driving age? I know I would have been more than a little “disappointed.” Most kids are going to drive sooner or later - they might be better off learning while they’re still under your roof, and you at can least observe/supervise some, than off on their own. It’s a parental responsibility to send their kids into the world as a responsible driver IMO.

And for those suggesting they can pay if they pay/offset the insurance premium hike - a little more hardcore, but not unheard of. My Dad made me pay what I could for insurance and gas (IOW have some job income), and he took care of the rest.

Tying grades and/or or what they drive to a license certainly seems reasonable to me, my Dad tied almost every privilege to grades from kindergarten thru college. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I had forgot about that. My DW hasn't driven in almost two years (by choice) so I talked to my insurance company about dropping her from my policy. The answer was no. I guess I could tell them she's moved out (for whatever reason) and see if my policy rates would drop.
Probably not.... women drivers are safer than men...

I can go online and do any kind of modeling and see what happens to rates... maybe you can also.... or just call your agent and ask..
Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #34

Hey, my oldest totaled a car on his way to work ten days after getting his driver's license in Queens, New York. (No alcohol involved.)

My friend's son (very responsible, straight A student) totaled a car two weeks in. My friend told his son, now there is a very dangerous intersection, the other cars can't see you coming over the hill, don't drive to school THAT way. So, or course, son drove to school THAT way. Obviously that was the father's fault for telling him NOT to do it.

I only know about car insurance where I live, and it is pricey to add a teenager to the policy. (In any event as soon as the insurance company finds out you have a teenager with a license, UP go your rates.)
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The OP already said his child is anxious to drive, so the younger generation doesn’t care to drive isn’t applicable.

And for those suggesting don’t let the kid get a license or make them wait - would that have been OK when you reached driving age? I know I would have been more than a little “disappointed.” Most kids are going to drive sooner or later - they might be better off learning while they’re still under your roof, and you at can least observe/supervise some, than off on their own. It’s a parental responsibility to send their kids into the world as a responsible driver IMO.

And for those suggesting they can pay if they pay/offset the insurance premium hike - a little more hardcore, but not unheard of. My Dad made me pay what I could for insurance and gas (IOW have some job income), and he took care of the rest.

Tying grades and/or or what they drive to a license certainly seems reasonable to me, my Dad tied almost every privilege to grades from kindergarten thru college. YMMV

When I was growing up we had drivers ed in high school.... IIRC you had to be a senior to take it... I actually owned a car before I got my license... and I got it around 18 1/2 or so... I was the youngest of 6 kids and my parents were poor so they would not let me drive at any age... they did not care either... heck, the first time I drove one of their vehicles is after my dad passed...

Now, my DS wanted to drive when he was 15... I made him wait until 16 to start to learn... I taught him and he did very well... got it and took over grand mom's car after she stopped driving... drove to school for 2 years...

MY DD is already asking about learning to drive and she is only 13!!! DW is saying she needs to learn ASAP.... I say NOOOOO.... a problem we have now is I just bought one of my sister's 'old' car and now DD is saying mine is now HERS.... I heard her tell a friend 'I now have a car'!!! I am telling her no she does not...

Sometimes I think kids do not know how good they have it compared to others or even their parents....
Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
So I'm an NYC gal, born and bred in Harlem...
I worked on 135 street 7-8th aves for many years. Did you live on Striver's Row? They had beautiful Brownstones.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Great discussion on this thread! Though there doesn't look like any 'trick' to keeping the insurance costs down other than the good student / driver's ed / clean record discounts.

Some feedback; my insurance rates haven't increased at all while my son has his learner's permit. Our state law requires that he have the learner's permit at least 6 months and that he completes at least 100 hours of supervised driving (50 hours if you complete driver's ed). This wasn't the rule back in my day and I think the change is good. It allows us to get a good feel for how he's driving before we sign off on the timesheet he needs for his license. The other thing that is heavily stressed with our son is that driving is a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT. So if things start to go bad we can take it away (but in reality it might not actually be so easy to do).

Regarding shared responsibility for the cost increase; our agreement is that he will pay half of the insurance rate increase (which I'm hoping is actually feasible with his very limited income). I think this may sway him into getting a part time job which I encourage. On the other hand, he's an excellent student and is taking very difficult classes (AP Chemistry, AP History, and Calculus as a Junior!) - so I hope this whole job / driving thing doesn't change his focus..

I guess one other positive thing that has come out of this driving urge has been that we've spent more time together. As an engineer, I'm a total gear head that loves to DIY for *everything* - especially car related. Usually I'm in tinkering in the garage alone. However, since he's going to get access to an older 4Runner he's been eager to get it fully up to spec. We've spent three weekends together upgrading the suspension, replacing a failed axle seal, changing the oil, and replacing the rear brakes. It's been a good way to do something together and give him a better appreciation for how a car works.
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
So if things start to go bad we can take it away (but in reality it might not actually be so easy to do).
State laws will vary of course but in MD the parent(s) can do that. One of the parents had to sign a form accepting responsibility for the antics of the offspring until they turn 18. The parents can rescind that acceptance of responsibility and if they do the state revokes the little darling's license.

In practice the juveniles have been known to forge a signature on that form, which can (and has) gotten them into a lot more trouble dealing with the criminal charge of uttering a forged document.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
Great discussion on this thread! Though there doesn't look like any 'trick' to keeping the insurance costs down other than the good student / driver's ed / clean record discounts.

Some feedback; my insurance rates haven't increased at all while my son has his learner's permit. Our state law requires that he have the learner's permit at least 6 months and that he completes at least 100 hours of supervised driving (50 hours if you complete driver's ed). This wasn't the rule back in my day and I think the change is good. It allows us to get a good feel for how he's driving before we sign off on the timesheet he needs for his license. The other thing that is heavily stressed with our son is that driving is a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT. So if things start to go bad we can take it away (but in reality it might not actually be so easy to do).

Regarding shared responsibility for the cost increase; our agreement is that he will pay half of the insurance rate increase (which I'm hoping is actually feasible with his very limited income). I think this may sway him into getting a part time job which I encourage. On the other hand, he's an excellent student and is taking very difficult classes (AP Chemistry, AP History, and Calculus as a Junior!) - so I hope this whole job / driving thing doesn't change his focus..

I guess one other positive thing that has come out of this driving urge has been that we've spent more time together. As an engineer, I'm a total gear head that loves to DIY for *everything* - especially car related. Usually I'm in tinkering in the garage alone. However, since he's going to get access to an older 4Runner he's been eager to get it fully up to spec. We've spent three weekends together upgrading the suspension, replacing a failed axle seal, changing the oil, and replacing the rear brakes. It's been a good way to do something together and give him a better appreciation for how a car works.

Are you having him pay when he is in HS?

I paid 100% until he started college, so that was even after him turning 18... I thought it was my job to provide for him until he was an adult... the only thing I made him buy was the gas... OH, and I also made him keep it clean... he could pay for a car wash or do it himself... he mostly did it himself...

BTW, I am actually still paying, but it is coming out of his money allocation I made for his college... there is a fixed amount I will spend and he has to fund everything else with work or loans... so far he is doing both...
Old 10-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Are you having him pay when he is in HS?
Yes! Don't want to sound like one of those crusty old bootstrappers; but I paid for my own insurance, car, gas, and everything else when I got my license. That was in Idaho where I actually got it at 14 1/2!! Like others here, my dad helped me fix up a $50 junker...

Of course DW's parents paid for her car / gas / insurance / etc. so we came up with the 'pay half the increase' compromise.

On the positive side, my son is an excellent saver and has managed to squirrel away a tidy sum. So I think he can pull it off and it's better than the other plan he has for his money. He wants to build a 'Gaming Computer' (which is a powerful PC with high end Graphics). My 14 yo built one with his odd job and x-mas money and now we have to constantly drag him off the damn thing to make him do his homework.
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote