Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm sure 50% of those texts are one or two word dumb things like, "huh, yeah", "hehe", "duh" and "cool."...do those count? =b
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I'm sure 50% of those texts are one or two word dumb things like, "huh, yeah", "hehe", "duh" and "cool."...do those count? =b
Well, they count for billing purposes!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I had to google some of these... POS may mean "parents over shoulder" to texters, but to me it means something entirely different...
Let's go with Parents over shoulder, since I know what you were thinking.

I've found that the average cell phone coversation may last about a couple minutes while txting can last for hours. Funny thing is........ultimately, the point of the message is the same. But then I shouldn't judge right.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Well, yeah.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

"Text your survey answers to..."

Quote:
Holy Toledo! What happened to... talking? Is it too 20th century?
Recently texting overcame talking as a means of cell phone communications.

Our kid's school requires them to turn off their cell phones and not talk on them during class time. So how else do they get around that?

When her group is planning a get-together they'll easily eat up 50 texts figuring out where & when. 200 texts/month is durance vile for her. 400/month is about right. The next increment up from 200 on her iPhone contract is 1500, but that's her funding problem.

Quote:
I had to google some of these... POS may mean "parents over shoulder" to texters, but to me it means something entirely different...
"Point of sale", right?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

"Point of sale", right?
Yep, you got it...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #27
Administrator

Several years ago in my small town a few citizens lodged a complaint against city council members and some city employees for texting during council meetings saying that they were strategizing via text to control the flow of the meeting and various parliamentary actions. They went so far as to file a public records request for phone records pertaining to meetings. Turns out the council members also had teenage kids and sitter issues, etc. (just like the rest of us) and were managing family issues during long meetings via text.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it's an addiction/sickness for some. Example, I was at a dance recital for my daughter this weekend and when the lights dimmed, probably close to half in attendance had there cell phones out texting,surfing,gaming,etc. Between scenes, phones light back up and it all began again. Sad in my opinion.
flpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
In other words, you wouldn't make a phone call to say. "ILY", "POS", "LOL", or would you?
Maybe POS.

Ha
Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Technically speaking, posting here on FIRE is a text message... non-verbal, non-visual.
Well...ok, if you want to get technical about it.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Thought you quit smoking...
Every once in a while, I burst into flames...
Old 04-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have to ask people, "you do text, right?" Texting is soooo much easier than the phone calls (that I can barely hear the other person!) that makes no sense. Texting keeps the point focused (meet u @ 2 in cafeteria) No conversational b/s that only belongs in my social conversations. (how are you, what's going on, blah blah blah - I like that stuff with my friends - or when I physically rendzevous with the person at the other end of my texting. Age 40, and I average 400 texts per month.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Me, too!

(...this thread is USELESS without photos...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1466847756_349a169ca2.jpg (134.4 KB, 0 views)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Typical texts:

"OMG"

"U R bad"

"Am not"

"LOL"

"Wha"?

"IDK"

"Sup"?

"IDK"

"Hez POS"

"YUP"!

"OMG"!

"YUP"

"BYE"

"C YA"

100 a day seems on the low side with that kind of communication going on........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I don't see any real difference between texting and the primary form of communication used back when I was employed - IMs. They do sort of allow you to multitask and give you a little more control over when to respond (vs. telephone conversations). Of course, since multitasking in general has been proven to decrease productivity it's probably not that great an idea. Personally, I think each form of "new" communication (email, IMs, texting) has made actual communication and productivity less effective, at least in the work environment. But then, I am a bit of a luddite myself.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't see any real difference between texting and the primary form of communication used back when I was employed - IMs. They do sort of allow you to multitask and give you a little more control over when to respond (vs. telephone conversations). Of course, since multitasking in general has been proven to decrease productivity it's probably not that great an idea. Personally, I think each form of "new" communication (email, IMs, texting) has made actual communication and productivity less effective, at least in the work environment. But then, I am a bit of a luddite myself.
Forty years ago we all probably figured the future was the 'picture phone'. Now kids are almost back to Morse Code. When do we get those flying cars?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #36

Well, I technically don't "text" but I do "IM" my DH quite a bit (around 20x/day). Does that count?

I just find it much more convenient since if I phone him at work, someone usually drops by his desk and he has to hang up on me .
Old 04-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

My older son texts all the time. We do have an unlimited text plan. Younger son texts a moderate amount. I occasionally text mostly when I want to tell DH something when he is at work but don't want to call him when he might be with other people and know he won't necessarily read emails
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Forty years ago we all probably figured the future was the 'picture phone'. Now kids are almost back to Morse Code. When do we get those flying cars?

-ERD50
A couple of years ago, Letterman had two teens texting compete with two geezers sending morse code on his show. The morse code guys beat the texting kids by a wide margin. Definitely faster to use Morse.

When I communicate with other amateur radio hobbiests around the world with Morse, we send at about 150 characters per minute and use abbrevations similar to texting. Can't come anywhere near that speed pushing keys on my cell phone, especially when you throw in some numbers and punctuation.

Of course, it's a lot easier to carry a cell phone along than a whole shortwave radio station!

This is one of my favorite telegraph keys from my small collection. Made briefly in Ohio during the 1960's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orgFYO.jpg (10.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 04-21-2010, 05:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Come to think of it, I did hear you're "Hot".
Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Come to think of it, I did hear you're "Hot".
Well, I will say this....it's best to have these...umm...on hand....