Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy with the Sentry blocker that I own.

But those scammers are ruthless. During last week, I was helping my brother as he was in the hospital after surgery. I got this call from around the same area so I picked up thinking maybe the call was from the hospital. Ended up was someone on the other line (with a very suspicious sounding voice.. not polite or professional at all) asking for one of my nephews saying it was a credit monitoring service. I went "Is this the hospital?" The caller when "I'm looking for <nephew's name>, do you know him?" I said "Don't know the person" as I would give that out if I did. I hung up and then another day the number called again. Now, I've added that number to my block list

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I just use Caller ID to screen calls. If don't recognize the number then I usually just don't pick up. Sometimes, even when I do recognize the number, I don't pick up.
+1
I thought I was the only one who did that.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
... I got this call from around the same area so I picked up thinking maybe the call was from the hospital. ...
I think this is similar to the way the spammers are getting around NOMOROBO - they just fake their caller ID with a random local number, or maybe even a number no one would want to block.

IMO, the crux of all this is that the DNC list has no teeth. If violators were put in jail and heavily fined, it would stop.

-ERD50
Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
The issue I had was apparently related to having a relatively old telephony capability on my cable modem. Time Warner updated the firmware and then made the auto-answer services available in our area, and presto! Nomorobo worked. <snip>

I'm still lobbying with DW to just get rid of the landline since we never use it for anything. She just likes to have a number other than her cell to give out to people she doesn't actually want to talk to.

I tell her, "Just give them a fake or old number and proclaim ignorance later." She's too ethical for that...
Thanks! We have Time Warner and recently updated everything so it should work for us.

When I'm forced to give out a phone number (typically filling in an on-line form where it's mandatory) it's our area code plus 867-5309.

For those of you who miss the reference,

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...fr=mcafee&tt=b
Old 03-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post

I'm still lobbying with DW to just get rid of the landline since we never use it for anything. She just likes to have a number other than her cell to give out to people she doesn't actually want to talk to.

I tell her, "Just give them a fake or old number and proclaim ignorance later." She's too ethical for that...
Simple solution for that trouble....create a Google Voice number. You can forward the calls to your "main number" or can create any number of rules to block unwanted calls and/or allow other callers to go through.

I also use Google voice that I give out to anyone I am doing business with. My primary cell # was my original Google Voice number (I had two) for a couple of years and eventually ported it to Ting after I had assured myself that it was "spam free" and hadn't belonged to someone else first. Now I use the second "business" number in conjunction with Google hangouts so I can make Wifi calls with it.

Something else that I like is the blocking feature on the cell phone (older Samsung Galaxy 3). From the hours of 10PM to 8AM, it will not beep/ring/flash for any messages at all and will only ring the phone for numbers in my contact list.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I just use Caller ID to screen calls. If don't recognize the number then I usually just don't pick up. Sometimes, even when I do recognize the number, I don't pick up.
This is my approach too. My phones also speak the caller ID info, so I don't even have to look for a phone, just listen.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #27

Perhaps if we learned the office phone number for our Congressperson and gave that out, something might be done about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Perhaps if we learned the office phone number for our Congressperson and gave that out, something might be done about it.

Along those lines, my spam-block list is forwarded to the FCC DNC complaint line.

Quote:
For Group TeleMarketers forward to 8882255322
It's just a menu system, so calls don;t take up anyone's time. I'm tempted to find a live person # in the department, and use that.

-ERD50
Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #29

Short youtube clip on how sit-com character Ally Mcbeal handles telemarketers.

Sad thing, I'm sure the telemarketers hate calling us even more than we hate the calls.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

If you ever have the "experience" of walking through a call center you will see the other side. That does not excuse the behavior, just puts a human face on it.

We have a special ring tone for friends and family and ignore all others.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think this is similar to the way the spammers are getting around NOMOROBO - they just fake their caller ID with a random local number, or maybe even a number no one would want to block.

IMO, the crux of all this is that the DNC list has no teeth. If violators were put in jail and heavily fined, it would stop.

-ERD50

Yes, the dreaded U.S. Pharmacy robo callers do exactly this. Even with my Ooma community blacklist and Nomorobo, calls get through. I answer and put the phone on the counter, or pretend to be hard of hearing.

The callers for U.S. Pharmacy are probably (definitely) offshore, in calling center sweatshops. No way will they be jailed or fined... and a job's a job.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesWannabe View Post
Yes, the dreaded U.S. Pharmacy robo callers do exactly this. Even with my Ooma community blacklist and Nomorobo, calls get through. I answer and put the phone on the counter, or pretend to be hard of hearing.

The callers for U.S. Pharmacy are probably (definitely) offshore, in calling center sweatshops. No way will they be jailed or fined... and a job's a job.
I have noticed (looking at the call list/voice mail on Google voice) that Express Scripts has called using about 4 different numbers. Thankfully, they have my "spam" number so I never get those calls.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I have noticed (looking at the call list/voice mail on Google voice) that Express Scripts has called using about 4 different numbers. Thankfully, they have my "spam" number so I never get those calls.
Interesting... When I was at Megacorp, Express Scripts handled the mail order prescriptions for our insurance plan. It would be really (ahem) inconvenient if the spammers used the same caller ID name...ugh.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorcarver View Post
If you ever have the "experience" of walking through a call center you will see the other side. That does not excuse the behavior, just puts a human face on it.
I know- they're just trying to make a living. If/when I do actually speak to someone I just politely tell them, "thanks, but I'm not interested" and hang up.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesWannabe View Post
Interesting... When I was at Megacorp, Express Scripts handled the mail order prescriptions for our insurance plan. It would be really (ahem) inconvenient if the spammers used the same caller ID name...ugh.
I think Express Scripts is a HUGH MEGA pharmacy. They do all the mail order Tricare scripts and I imagine MANY, MANY, MANY other commercial insurance plans.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

You might start by putting her number on the do not call registry, to see if that lessens the sales calls.

https://www.donotcall.gov/
Old 03-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I know- they're just trying to make a living. If/when I do actually speak to someone I just politely tell them, "thanks, but I'm not interested" and hang up.
I see no reason to be polite (but I just don't answer anyhow). They rang my phone, and disturbed me when I am on the DNC list. They are breaking the law. I do not need to be polite to law breakers.

Occasionally, I'm waiting for an important call, and the spammers can be tying up my line, so the call I'm waiting for goes to voice-mail, creating inconvenience and maybe worse if I call back and miss the person (or now they are on another call, another round of voice-mail tag ....).

Nope, that's like saying shop-lifters are 'just trying to make a living'. They are all breaking the law. The heck with them (insert more colorful language).

-ERD50
Old 03-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
You might start by putting her number on the do not call registry, to see if that lessens the sales calls.

https://www.donotcall.gov/
Have been on the no call registry for years. Does reduce the call volume some IMO.Has to be renewed periodically.

Many domestic telemarketers blatantly violate the law, and offshore firms don't have to comply. Lot's of loopholes.

This is compounded , IIRC by the availability of every number on the no call list by simply purchasing the no call data from the government , knowing these are "good" phone numbers.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Does your mom use a land-line or a cell?

We use a land-line phone with a standard voice-activated answering machine. As soon as our electronic butler comes on, 95% of telemarketers and robocallers hang up. After 4 rings, genuine callers begin to leave a message, and one of us picks up (if we recognize the caller ID screen, we'll pick up before the message is left).

In your instance, your Mom would simply wait until your beloved voice begins to speak, and then she'd pick up.

Amethyst
Old 03-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
As soon as our electronic butler comes on, 95% of telemarketers and robocallers hang up. After 4 rings, genuine callers begin to leave a message, and one of us picks up (if we recognize the caller ID screen, we'll pick up before the message is left).
This is decent partial solution but you have to be someplace near the phone so you can hear the message if you want to pick up. I agree, though- few spammers leave messages.