Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Does your mom use a land-line or a cell?

We use a land-line phone with a standard voice-activated answering machine. As soon as our electronic butler comes on, 95% of telemarketers and robocallers hang up. After 4 rings, genuine callers begin to leave a message, and one of us picks up (if we recognize the caller ID screen, we'll pick up before the message is left).

In your instance, your Mom would simply wait until your beloved voice begins to speak, and then she'd pick up.

Amethyst

We do almost the same as Amethyst, except we turned the ringer off on our landline phone, and our answering machine greeting (which we likewise do not hear at our end) requests the caller to please leave a message.

Like Amethyst, probably around 95% of the calls we receive hang up without leaving a message; we only notice those if we happen to see the incoming call indicator on our phone/answering machine console light up (and boy, there are days when it lights up a lot). If we don't happen to be in eyeshot of the machine, we're blissfully unaware of the intrusion.

We have the volume turned on to hear the caller's message, so, on the rare occasion it's a call from someone who bothers to leave a message and with whom we'd actually like to speak, we can usually answer it before the caller finishes the message, or, simply call him back. If it's not, we just hit the delete button after the message finishes recording. Easy-peasy.

(Granted, this might not work in the OP's situation, a disembodied voice might be startling for her. Unless maybe he could program the phone to ring only w calls from specific numbers?)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I see no reason to be polite (but I just don't answer anyhow). They rang my phone, and disturbed me when I am on the DNC list. They are breaking the law. I do not need to be polite to law breakers.

-ERD50
Sounds like you subscribe to the "What are you wearing?" to get them to hang up. Just don't get carried away and call them back saying that

My mind is now trained with my call blocker that 1 ring then intercepted means unrecognized caller. More than one, then the caller is someone I previously allowed. Now I can brush me teeth without dropping everything on a first ring and acting like Pavlov's dog.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Does your mom use a land-line or a cell?

We use a land-line phone with a standard voice-activated answering machine. As soon as our electronic butler comes on, 95% of telemarketers and robocallers hang up. After 4 rings, genuine callers begin to leave a message, and one of us picks up (if we recognize the caller ID screen, we'll pick up before the message is left).

In your instance, your Mom would simply wait until your beloved voice begins to speak, and then she'd pick up.

Amethyst
It's a landline. Cell phone would fix 98% of the issue.

See is from the pre wwII generation , very tech adverse . My older brother tried to get her to use a 'jitterbug" cell phone, she wouldn't touch it.

She just lets all calls go to an answering machine, most robo call systems know it's an answering machine just hang up, and call again in the future . The political candidate recorded messages (spam) always leave a message . She doesn't review them for days.

I'm sure I will be even more stubborn if I make it to 85.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
It's a landline. Cell phone would fix 98% of the issue.

See is from the pre wwII generation , very tech adverse . My older brother tried to get her to use a 'jitterbug" cell phone, she wouldn't touch it.

She just lets all calls go to an answering machine, most robo calls just hang up, except political candidate recorded messages (spam). Doesn't review them for days.

I'm sure I will be even more stubborn if I make it to 85.
Well, at least she has an answering machine. For some, even that is too techie .
Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #45

Thanks again for the Nomorobo idea, nash031! I set everything up but was concerned when I called our home number from my cell phone and got a busy signal. I reversed everything (very easy). A few hours later I tried again and this time I allowed some time for the new settings to work their way into the system, and incoming calls went through fine. Last night we got a call from Hilton Vacations. It rang once and then disconnected. I think we've got it!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I just use Caller ID to screen calls. If don't recognize the number then I usually just don't pick up. Sometimes, even when I do recognize the number, I don't pick up.
Ditto. I rarely use the landline myself. It is handy for me for occasional calls in cases where I do not want to share my cell phone number.

We get a fair number of robocalls, always ignored. The most persistent ones he will answer and tell them to remove us from their calling list.

Our land line is still existent only for the free long distance and Mr B's tax service clients to leave audible messages and for his frequent faxing needs. It is a low cost part of the Time Warner bundle we have for internet, cable and home security. I added his name to the account so he can deduct a portion of the landline and internet cost as a legitimate business expense.

If I want quiet in the living room area, I will turn off the ringer on the kitchen extension. His office extension stays on audible ringer 24/7.

Low tech solution
Old 03-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I use a call blocker on my landline which can be set up to only allow certain phone numbers (whitelist), and by default screen calls not on the whitelist.

You could put in your "Presidents Red Phone" numbers as the whitelist to ring through. All other numbers get screened.

Amazon.com: SENTRY (V2.0, NEW) Dual Mode Call Blocker. Block 100% Robo Call, Spam Calls. Great improvements over SENTRY Original: Electronics

The way I got the blocker set up is if accepted/whitelisted number, the phone rings as usual. Otherwise, rings once and the Sentry blocker takes over.
The Sentry 2.0 is fantastic. It just started getting sold on Amazon a few weeks ago. $50 (don't get the previous one for $40).

We went through our cell phone contacts and Ooma call logs and made a list of legit inbound numbers. I entered those numbers into the whitelist (tedious, but not horrific).

If a legit someone that's not on the whitelist calls, they hear a message to press zero. If they do that, the Sentry box "rings" (not your phone, so your answering machine can't take a message).

Every inbound call is logged and tagged as a whitelist number, a blacklist number or not tagged. For the non-tagged, it's simple to add the number to either the whitelist or blacklist.

I have it connected "serially", so my phone is completely silent unless the caller is on the whitelist, and then the phone rings normally, the answering machine works normally.

When the phone rings now, I run over and pick it up because I know it's someone I know.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #48

I had a Verizon land line for many years, but the last few years I had it I got a spam call at least once every fifteen minutes, day and night. I finally got rid of it and switched to a free Google Voice phone number. The only thing I had to buy was an Obitalk box for about $40.00. Other than that, the service is completely free. And, I haven't had one spam call in two years now.

If I did eventually begin to get some spam calls on the line, all I would have to do is change the phone number and start over again. It's really a fantastic solution.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #49

a cell phone allows one to program different rings for different people. If she had a cell phone with a ring just for you, that would be the only thing she would have to answer.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The Sentry 2.0 is fantastic. It just started getting sold on Amazon a few weeks ago. $50 (don't get the previous one for $40).

We went through our cell phone contacts and Ooma call logs and made a list of legit inbound numbers. I entered those numbers into the whitelist (tedious, but not horrific).

If a legit someone that's not on the whitelist calls, they hear a message to press zero. If they do that, the Sentry box "rings" (not your phone, so your answering machine can't take a message).

Every inbound call is logged and tagged as a whitelist number, a blacklist number or not tagged. For the non-tagged, it's simple to add the number to either the whitelist or blacklist.

I have it connected "serially", so my phone is completely silent unless the caller is on the whitelist, and then the phone rings normally, the answering machine works normally.

When the phone rings now, I run over and pick it up because I know it's someone I know.
The Sentry 2.0 does it right for screening out the robo, telemarketing calls, but letting the legit ones come through.

Connecting "serially" do you still get caller id? I know some brands seem to work and pass the caller Id, while others do not. My case is the latter do I connect "in parallel" got get the caller Id, but one ring.

Funny, this very moment as I type, I just got a one ring call
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The Sentry 2.0 does it right for screening out the robo, telemarketing calls, but letting the legit ones come through.

Connecting "serially" do you still get caller id? I know some brands seem to work and pass the caller Id, while others do not. My case is the latter do I connect "in parallel" got get the caller Id, but one ring.

Funny, this very moment as I type, I just got a one ring call
The callerid does not go out to the phones. The number (not name) shows on the Sentry device.
I don't mind that callerid is missing on the phones, since I know the caller is legit. And we don't have any family or friends that we want to avoid talking to. But if we did, we could let the answering machine pick up, and screen as they left a message.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The callerid does not go out to the phones. The number (not name) shows on the Sentry device.
I don't mind that callerid is missing on the phones, since I know the caller is legit. And we don't have any family or friends that we want to avoid talking to. But if we did, we could let the answering machine pick up, and screen as they left a message.
This sounds like a really good solution for you.

I do wish the Sentry device had a backlight. Especially now with a battery backup. But still, I really can't complain
Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #53

Very surprising and happy update. Mom showed me an ad for a smartphone, says she wants to be able to text .

She read an article about telephone communication after an earthquake ( we had a few small shakers on a very dangerous fault this week). The article said" to send text, not cell phone calls".

I have little confidence in the cell system infrastructure after a major quake , but this sure fixes my everyday problem . Ordered a LG vx9200 , full large button keyboard, after doing a search of best text phones for seniors.

Might just get a second one for myself.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #54

We switched Comcrap for Phone. We already had TV and Internet with them. Got upgraded to HD with HDMI feed to TV. Previous box was composite video out. DW is SCIFI TV addict and wanted recording feasture. Actually total cost is now chaper than before with phone on Verizon. As a plus the remote works via RF, so the cble box is hidden behind the TV, less clutter to look at (a special bugaboo of DW).

As some bonus the number of robocalls have dropped to about two or three a day from 6 or more. Plus they give us Caller ID as part of the package, which verizon wanted extra $ for. And all the nickel and dime surcharges adding up to about $25/month are gone as well. We had it for a month now so far so good. WIll activate nomorobo in a few days. I got a caller id box at goodwill for $2.50 for my phone. Tried the Comcrap caller ID program on the PC, it was modtly NFG. Deleted it.