Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Telescoping Ladder: Brands? Prices? Cautions?
Old 11-24-2017, 06:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Telescoping Ladder: Brands? Prices? Cautions?

A new topic that has nothing to do with financial planning...

Telescoping Ladders are on my radar screen as I look for ways to downsize and simplify my garage. Does anybody have one? Likes/Dislikes?

I'm interested in changing out my 19 foot Louisville extension ladder and buying a 12.5 foot or 15.5 foot telescoping ladder. The traditional extension ladder is very cumbersome to store in the garage and I very seldom use it beyond it's 12 foot (non-extended) size. I mostly use the ladder to access the roof of my RV and once in a while trim a branch or clean the gutters on the house.

I've become enamored with two brands: 1) Telesteps and 2) Xtend & Climb, but I'm open to researching other brands. I want a Type 1 (250#) or 1A (300#) because I think it will have added stability and I don't mind a few extra pounds of weight for the ladder.
Attached Images
File Type: png telesteps.PNG (54.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: png xtend&climb.PNG (231.3 KB, 83 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

I have the Xtend and I love it. It is easy to store, easy to move around and very handy.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #3

When we bought our current home a couple of years ago, I watched our home inspector use the Extend & Climb 12.5 foot ladder. I was so impressed I went out and bought the same one. Have used it at least a dozen times in the last two years and very happy with it. Takes hardly any space (I hang it on a hook in the garage) and extremely stable. I'd recommend it without reservation.

I got the 780P model, which is Type 1A.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have to get one of these. The toughest part of cleaning my gutters is getting my extension ladder down from the garage ceiling brackets.

ETA - ordered 12.5 extend & climb from Amazon. I'll be using it Monday.

Thanks for posting!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used to use a version of that style ladder - it was long enough to just xtend past a first story gutter and collapsed to stow behind my driver's seat in the car. Was just enough and not too much - perfect for my drive-around landlord needs. Serious stuff got a serious ladder. Stability was not as good as a conventional ladder - it twisted as I was mounted several times. In time it got sticky when collapsing it and silicone spray only helped a bit. Then it decided to lessen it's extended length by a few rungs while I was aboard. Twice. Then it got retired. Was a valuable tool for a number of years, probably got greater than homeowner use, but has limitations to be aware of.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I don't have an extension ladder but my neighbor has and I have used his. It folds and extends and is awesome ladder. No brand name for you but also can be used in many other functions.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have one of those multi position ladders. It can be a regular ladder, a step ladder, and can be used on stairs. The ends flair out wider to provide more stability. 19' at full extension and folds down to less than 5'. There are larger ones that go to 21' and smaller ones that go to 13'.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Nvestysly, I gather from your signature line that you are in your late 50's. Frank and I are older, in our mid to late 60's, and we don't climb ladders any more at all, for safety reasons. Not only do we feel like we might be more likely to fall, but also older people have more fragile bones and the cost of medical care isn't getting any cheaper these days. At some age (and I don't know what that will be for you) you might feel the same way.

I am glad I didn't spend any money on a ladder five years ago, when I was inclined to do so. We just hire someone to help out if/when necessary; much cheaper than medical bills.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH bought one last year to clear first floor gutters. Works great and so easy to store.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Whenever anyone asks whether vanilla or chocolate ice cream are tastier, someone had to warn against the evils of eating ice cream.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nvestysly, I gather from your signature line that you are in your late 50's. Frank and I are older, in our mid to late 60's, and we don't climb ladders any more at all, for safety reasons. Not only do we feel like we might be more likely to fall, but also older people have more fragile bones and the cost of medical care isn't getting any cheaper these days. At some age (and I don't know what that will be for you) you might feel the same way.

I am glad I didn't spend any money on a ladder five years ago, when I was inclined to do so. We just hire someone to help out if/when necessary; much cheaper than medical bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Whenever anyone asks whether vanilla or chocolate ice cream are tastier, someone had to warn against the evils of eating ice cream.
Well.... I did put the word "cautions" in my thread title so the warning is not out of line.

I decided to order the Xtend & Climb 785P via Amazon. This ladder extends to a total length of 15.5 feet. I typically only need to reach the 10 ft height of the RV roof but the extra few feet will provide a handle/railing to use during the transition from ladder to RV roof and vice-versa.

On a related note - it was nearly 20 years ago that an extension ladder (the same Louisville ladder I still own) slipped out from under me and I tumbled down on the wood deck and ended up with a broken hip and dislocated shoulder. Significant injuries considering I was only three or four feet off the deck when the ladder slipped away. For years I could see the trail of my fingertips on the gutter of the house - trying to grab something to break the fall! I've since learned quite a bit about ladder safety and realized that slow and methodical is the way to approach ladder use as well as ensuring the ladder is at an appropriate angle.

DW and I volunteer with the Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner program and help build houses around the country. I've become more comfortable and capable using ladders but also realize my limitations and refrain from performing certain tasks.

I'll let you know my opinions of the Xtend & Climb 785P when it arrives next week.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Glad you are thinking about safety, Nvestysly. You probably have at least a few years of safe ladder climbing ahead of you, especially since you are being careful.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
On a related note - it was nearly 20 years ago that an extension ladder (the same Louisville ladder I still own) slipped out from under me and I tumbled down on the wood deck and ended up with a broken hip and dislocated shoulder. Significant injuries considering I was only three or four feet off the deck when the ladder slipped away. For years I could see the trail of my fingertips on the gutter of the house - trying to grab something to break the fall! I've since learned quite a bit about ladder safety and realized that slow and methodical is the way to approach ladder use as well as ensuring the ladder is at an appropriate angle.

.................................................. .....
Just to reinforce your lesson........I used to waterproof our deck w/ a silicone coating.. Used the extension ladder to clean out the gutter for some yrs before one yr when the ladder slipped out from under me. Fortunately no injuries but I was rattled by the incident. No more deck waterproofing and no more extension ladders on the deck.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #14

In my 70s and climbing a ladder doesn't seem like much of an issue for me. I really don't like working up on the roof though.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Note the rounded foot of the telescoping ladder vs the flexible foot pad on a conventional ladder - ground contact is at a point vs a 1 1/2" x 4" foot. They sure do get small though! Be smart and have care; you'll be fine.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Funny you should mention this. I normally do not have ice cream in my fridge, but a month or two ago saw Blue Bell ice cream mentioned here on this site. When I saw that the local market had a sales, I went to get some.

Oh man, I only ate ice cream two nights that week, and I do not know if it was coincidental but my weekly self-administered blood glucose test jumped up to 111. I told my wife I would finish that gallon of ice cream then no more.

Last two weekly blood tests: <100. Other than ice cream, no change in diet. Coincidental? Should I buy another gallon to test out the theory?

Back on ladders, I do not have the telescoping type, but a couple of folding Werner ladders. They work great.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I have one of those multi position ladders. It can be a regular ladder, a step ladder, and can be used on stairs. The ends flair out wider to provide more stability. 19' at full extension and folds down to less than 5'. There are larger ones that go to 21' and smaller ones that go to 13'.

I have one of these also, but the ladders the OP referenced seem to be even better for an extension ladder.... getting the folding ladder to be extension means you have to extend both legs to full length and then unfold the thing so it is straight... now you have a heavy ladder that is 19'....

I do like the versatility of the folding one since you can have one leg straight up and down and put the ladder close to a wall without leaning it on the wall...

I will keep looking at this thread and maybe buy one in the future..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have one of these also, but the ladders the OP referenced seem to be even better for an extension ladder.... getting the folding ladder to be extension means you have to extend both legs to full length and then unfold the thing so it is straight... now you have a heavy ladder that is 19'....
You can unfold it before extending the legs, but yes, they are heavy. But, the way I look at it...when I reach the point where I can't put up a 40 pound ladder, then I shouldn't be climbing it.

As previously mentioned...decks and ladders are a dangerous combination, especially if the ladder has hard plastic feet. I solve this by screwing down a scrap of 2x4 between the deck boards (hitting the joists) so that the ladder can't slip.

When using a ladder on the ground that has pivoting grips, I flip them up and dig them into the ground rather than relying on just the grip of rubber or plastic on grass/dirt. They are designed that way specifically for that purpose.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
You can unfold it before extending the legs, but yes, they are heavy. But, the way I look at it...when I reach the point where I can't put up a 40 pound ladder, then I shouldn't be climbing it.

As previously mentioned...decks and ladders are a dangerous combination, especially if the ladder has hard plastic feet. I solve this by screwing down a scrap of 2x4 between the deck boards (hitting the joists) so that the ladder can't slip.

When using a ladder on the ground that has pivoting grips, I flip them up and dig them into the ground rather than relying on just the grip of rubber or plastic on grass/dirt. They are designed that way specifically for that purpose.

My folding ladder does not have 'feet'... just the end of of the ladder... there is some non-slip something or other, but not a something that pivots...

All the ones that I look at online now seem to have a cross bar that look like they keep the ladder more secure...

Opps... I was wrong... found this at Lowes.... not my brand, but the feet look the same...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-17-f...adder/50398354
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My folding ladder does not have 'feet'... just the end of of the ladder... there is some non-slip something or other, but not a something that pivots...
I don't think many of the multi ladders come with pivoting feet. This is what I was referring to. You can see that one end of the feet have a spike to allow it to be set into the ground:

ladder2.jpg