Join Early Retirement Today

Tell me about Albuquerque, NM
Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tell me about Albuquerque, NM

DW and I are heading there on Thrusday. * Any pointers, pro or con?* I will use it as a base for Taos and Sante Fe.* Maybe do the Enchanted Circle. Hope to get out of this Texas heat a few days before the Cowboys start pre-season.* I'm bringing my own wine.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Tell me about Albuquerque, NM
Old 07-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The city museum, botanical gardens and the US Atomic Museum are pretty nice for a town of that size. Be sure to ride the Sandia Peak tram. Le Chantilly in Hoffmantown Shopping Center (the 2 or 3rd that went up in ABQ in 1951) at the intersection of Menaul and Wyoming in the NE Heights is a wondddddderfulllll pastry shop with tasty lunches. We probably eat there more than anywhere else when we go to ABQ to visit friends/relatives. Right behind Hoffmantown is the Prospect Park public library that has a very nice rose garden.

ABQ has grown/sprawled a huge amount since I moved away after graduating from UNM in 1976. Places that I used to go dirt bike riding are miles within the suburban housing developments. Eat lots of real New Mexican food - it isn't hard to find. Sadies out on North 4th is a possible location, but it was very busy the last time we went there. Powdrells has good BBQ.

cheers,
Michael

Old 07-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
Be sure to ride the Sandia Peak tram.
There are some trails up there if you are so inclined. If you are not, then the restaurant has a pretty good view.

The old Spanish town is a tourist trap, but worth an hour or two IMHO.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:41 AM   #4

IIRC you're a Texan, and personally I think it's important for Texans to be briefed on chili vs. chile when going to NM. NM puts red chile (hotter) or green chile (milder) on everything; this is a chile pepper stew/sauce and has no meat in it. Good stuff, just don't get your mouth set for chili.

Santa Fe and Taos are closer than ABQ if you're coming from Texas...why start there?

I just came back from Sapello, near Las Vegas NM which is NE of Santa Fe. It's hot up there, too, but not as hot, and it actually cools down at night! Had a bear in a tree 10' outside my window, though. It was thin and eating birdseed...poor thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20060713-NM-Bear.jpg (37.7 KB, 135 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb 20060713-NM-Bear.jpg_thumb (38.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dunno about ABQ, but we much preferred Taos to Santa Fe. Make sure you see:

- the Millicent Rogers Museum
- Taos Pueblo
- the Enchanted Circle (very pretty)

I didn't have the time/freedom to do so, but I am told that there is excellent fishing in northern NM.

If you/your DW is into hot springs, try Ojo Caliente, between Taos and Santa Fe.

Be prepared to deal with the altitude. When we took the King's Road (at least I think it was called that), there were a few spots where we were quite uncomfortable because living at sea level then going to 11,000 feet of elevation is ugly.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #6

Eagle, I really liked the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center in ABQ. I'd also recommend taking what they call "The High Road" between Santa Fe and Taos. Folks in either place can give you diirections. Parts of it are like stepping back in time.

Coach
Old 07-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach
I'd also recommend taking what they call "The High Road" between Santa Fe and Taos. Folks in either place can give you diirections. Parts of it are like stepping back in time.

Coach
In a convertible, weather permitting.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mrs. Zipper's Aunt and Uncle live in Albuquerque.

They are retired and have lived there for ~ 30 years.

They say the crime rate is among the highest in the U.S.

Why would that be??
Old 07-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #9

Eat at Sadie's!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Mrs. Zipper's Aunt and Uncle live in Albuquerque.

They are retired and have lived there for ~ 30 years.

They say the crime rate is among the highest in the U.S.

Why would that be??
Where did they get their data? Spot checking a few cities with comparable populations, Albuqueurque doesn't look too bad compared to, say,* Cleveland or Tampa, not to mention Washington, DC.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #11

Thanks for all the inputs. We're off early in the a.m. First stop is Amarillo, where you can buy, I am told the cheapest gas in Texas. DW needs to be there thru Saturday, so I will check out Palo Duro Canyon and the Cadillac Ranch, etc. Then, on to New Mexico. Dunno when we shall return, but hey, I'm retired, no hurry!

Old 07-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

West Texas: Miles and miles of miles and miles...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Have a great trip.

heh heh heh
Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

You might think of staying a night or so in Red River, it's one of my favorite places in New Mexico. It's always cooler in the summer. It has a small town, unspoiled, western feel about it still. There are plenty of places to stay and lot's of great food. The Sundowner has the best NM style mexican food in town. There is a place called the Lodge that we also like. And of course it's on the enchanted circle and just a few miles from Taos. My husband has to stop in Eagles Nest, NM as we pass thru on the drive from TX. There are some great little hole in the wall places there.

You might check out the town of Cimmaron also. Lots of history there. The old St. James hotel is a fun stop.

We are planning a short trip to Red River in August. These 100 plus days here in N TX are getting a little old....

Have a great trip.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Eagle, since there isn't much else to do in "Yellow" Texas, you might drop by the Big Texan Steak Ranch for their free 72-ounce top sirloin steak dinner. Of course to get it free you have to eat all of it (including a baked potato, salad, dinner roll and shrimp cocktail) in under an hour. If you don't, the meal is a mere $72.00.

Impossible? According to their website, 8000 people have done it, including a 69 year old grandmother and an 11 year old boy. No information is available on how long they survived after the meal.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #16

My skinny butt would have trouble eating a 16 oz. steak. But, I might drop by to watch the victims (er diners) try it.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
Where did they get their data? Spot checking a few cities with comparable populations, Albuqueurque doesn't look too bad compared to, say, Cleveland or Tampa, not to mention Washington, DC.
Very true. We researched this each time we moved and always came away perplexed. Some of the most secure-feeling places we have lived had high crime rates, and vice versa. I think it has to do with how crime is localized within the city.

For example, we learned that car theft is quite high in our zip code, only to discover after moving here that there are two giant shopping centers within 3 miles, and virtually all that car theft occurred in their parking lots. If you wanna steal a car, I guess you go where the cars are.

Same with burglary and violent crime: predominantly in areas that are generally known to be high crime neighborhoods. Years ago we lived in Milwaukee which had a very high murder rate for quite a while, yet it had a reputation for safety. Later information confirmed that, being a highly segregated city, almost all the murders occurred in two well-known, poor, mostly black ghettos and was usually black-on-black crime. Tragic to be sure, but added little to our personal crime risk.

Seems that personal crime risk in areas like that are a matter of choice of locale.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Years ago we lived in Milwaukee which had a very high murder rate for quite a while, yet it had a reputation for safety. Later information confirmed that, being a highly segregated city, almost all the murders occurred in two well-known, poor, mostly black ghettos and was usually black-on-black crime.
This is often true in highly segregated cities. Years ago, when DC was "the [per capita] murder capital of the nation", the murder map had a few dots in the predominantly white quadrant and one big blotch in the ghetto area.

There is usually some spillover, but it can be quite limited.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Just spend 4 days in Albuquerque last week and had a blast! Even though 2 of those days were spent on the Cummins Rocky Mountain service lot. (1 day annual enginge/chassis service, 2nd day due to oil leak found - fixed under warranty).

It's a really nice city. Tons of nice restaurants. Good grocery shopping (Whole Foods Market!). Reminded me of Austin.

Awesome eats!
New Mexican style Breakfast and El Charrito on SW Central Ave (I think). So good had to go back another morning.
Awesome New Mexican food and very romantic restaurant - Casa Benavidez (sp?) on 4th street near Paseo Norte.
Old town in the downtown was fun too. Had supper at the Seasons - upper terrace. Very nice.

Drove up the back side of the Sandia Mountains - cool and lovely. Did some hiking. Only went as far as the turn-off to NM 165 which is a gravel mountain road and really fun going down.

We're in Moab now - having a blast in spite of temps hitting 106 by mid-afternoon.

Audrey
Old 07-20-2006, 12:06 AM   #20

Last minute warning: Last week there were two or three really smelly stretches along 287 and 40. I guess it's time for cattle slaughter or something else that gets them to gather all the cattle in one spot and stink up a few miles of highway.

I'm not sure what's practical to be done about it, but at least you're warned.