Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Have you seen the price of electricity? In these parts it has been increasing well above the inflation rate for at least 10 years. Not to mention that where the kitchen of my youth had a fixture with two light bulbs in the middle of the room and maybe another above the sink... now it has like 10 pot lights, a few spots and a bunch of under cabinet lighting.
I'm outraged that the cost of electricity around here has gone from 4.8 cents/kwh to 6.95 cents/kwh in the past 9 years.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #222

We aren't much above that off-peak (8.8) which is where 90+% of our usage is but rates have still gone up well above the inflation rate. As suggested by Nemo2, this may have had something to do with some questionable decisions made by the usual suspects.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #223
Confused about dryer sheets

Use the Mcdonalds app. It saves me a few bucks every week. It's worth it.
jimbob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #224
Recycles dryer sheets

I despise mowing! Haven't owned a mower for 5+ yrs. We moved the fence within 5' of the house and let the stock do the mowing. We do own a weed eater though.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #225
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
We aren't much above that off-peak (8.8) which is where 90+% of our usage is but rates have still gone up well above the inflation rate. As suggested by Nemo2, this may have had something to do with some questionable decisions made by the usual suspects.

Our top tier is .40 kwh, avg .23 kwh.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We spent time to analyze our bank fees, including things like MERS on our various sheltered and unsheltered accounts. The review included monthly bank fees and even credit card admin fees on foreign transactions.
I wasn't this thorough but at one point I realized we were paying over $400 in annual credit card fees. (I know they can get as high as $400 on one card now, based on the glossy mailings I get for the ones that include airline lounge memberships.) I'm now down to two: the Fidelity 2% cash back Visa with no fee and the Marriott Visa, which does have an annual fee but has the longest history. I may churn the Marriott card at some point if a good sign-on bonus is offered elsewhere and would love to avoid Fidelity's FX fee. I left the country 3 times this year so that's starting to add up.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:39 AM   #227

What do I do to save money?

this may sound sarcastic, but probably the most effective thing I do is to look at an item before I buy it and ask myself:

How many times will I actually need this?
How long will it be before I put it in the corner and wish someone else would take it away?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Our top tier is .40 kwh, avg .23 kwh.
I pay ~0.24, for production + (mostly) transportation.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
What do I do to save money?

this may sound sarcastic, but probably the most effective thing I do is to look at an item before I buy it and ask myself:

How many times will I actually need this?
How long will it be before I put it in the corner and wish someone else would take it away?
+1

The other thing I have learned is that, despite commercial advertising, there are very few purchases that are urgent. I avoid "impulse" buying... I'll just add the item to a "wish list". I might review the list every 3-4 months, and find that 1/3 to 1/2 the items on the list I no longer have that much of an interest in.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #230
Recycles dryer sheets

The cost of electricity is interesting. We will be moving into a new home in several wks (hopefully). We built it ourselves and I'm asinine about insulation. Our current home we remodeled and our electrical use is maybe 1 1/2 times the basic charge. Elec cost is about $60 a month total for 8-9 mths. A hot mth might be $90. -30 below mths have hit $110. We've been raped on homes we've had propane in the past and I refuse to ever get propane again. NG is slightly better than propane but the installation cost are so high we'd most likely never recoop those cost. We installed total electric in the new home so really want to see how it works out. We do have a wood FP in the new home also. WO basic charge and tax elec is aver .061 kwh. With is .103
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #231
Give me a forum ...

We make sure our car gas tanks are filled on Wednesday or Thursday. Gas always increases in price on the weekend, even more on holiday weekends.

True to form it went up by about six percent last Thursday, The price has been slowly going back down since Tuesday (Monday was a holiday).

We buy our gas from Costco or from our local co-operative association.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I'd like to see some real world data since I am skeptical that lowering or raising the target temp by more than a few degrees would save money if you're just gone for the usual 8-10 hours. The system has to work extra to bring the house back to the target temp.
The local power utility claims that this is an urban myth. They state that elevating the target AC temp when you're not in the house saves money regardless of the duration, so that's what I do. If I'm going to be gone more that 10 minutes, I put the temp at 85F, effectively shutting off the AC. If I'm going to be gone more than a few hours, I put the temp at 82F so the AC runs enough to keep the humidity down. All of this fiddling with the thermostat probably saves me no more than a couple of bucks on the monthly bill, but it's a habit I've gotten into. My bill maxes out at around $80 / mo in deep summer for a 1700 sq ft Florida ranch. In winter, the bill is half that. YMMV.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I pay ~0.24, for production + (mostly) transportation.
From the BC Hydro website:
Step 1: $0.0858 per kWh for first 1,350 kWh in an average two month billing period (22.1918 kWh per day).
Step 2: $0.1287 per kWh over the 1,350 Step 1 threshold.

Rate comparison graphic is here https://www.bchydro.com/news/conserv...s-compare.html
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
+1

The other thing I have learned is that, despite commercial advertising, there are very few purchases that are urgent. I avoid "impulse" buying... I'll just add the item to a "wish list". I might review the list every 3-4 months, and find that 1/3 to 1/2 the items on the list I no longer have that much of an interest in.
I do this too. Amazon's wish list is very useful.

Another thing I do is to critically appraise even small purchases in the final days of my credit card billing cycle. It means I often have a "spending holiday" of several days every month. When the new cycle begins I often find that I no longer "need" the items whose purchase I had postponed.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Just ordered a foil and cutter on Amazon for my Braun shaver. No rush as it is for my second razor. $59.95 at the local London Drugs store. $34. on line, delivered to my home.

Did exactly the same (buy on line) this past two months for a king size bed frame, lamps, leather recliner, etc. Even higher percentage savings on those items.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #236
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoy making our own powdered laundry detergent. With just two of us, a batch will last almost a year as it only takes 2 tablespoons a load. We know what's in it and it works very well.
I also use diluted vinegar to clean. Bought a batch of blue microfiber clothes at Sam's Club and use them often for cleanups which cuts down on paper towels, and works better.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Don't go out to eat very often. My wife only buys things on sale when grocery shopping.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Have you seen savings in your monthly bill? By how many degrees do you raise/lower the temp when you're not at home?

I'd like to see some real world data since I am skeptical that lowering or raising the target temp by more than a few degrees would save money if you're just gone for the usual 8-10 hours. The system has to work extra to bring the house back to the target temp.
There is plenty of real world data, and it's also simple physics...the closer the inside temperature gets to the outside temperature (for both heating and cooling), the less energy is needed to maintain that temperature. Therefore, by lowering or raising the temperature, the savings immediately begin and continue for the entire time. It also takes less energy to return to the pre-setback temp that it does to maintain the higher or lower temp for that entire time.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Tell us a few little things you do to save money
Old 08-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

Tell us a few little things you do to save money

Ditto on YouTube for repairs. I fix everything myself, mainly appliances and kitchen & sewing gadgets my DW buys.

My most recent savings:

My 2006 Ford F-150XL pickup truck drivers side door control buttons (windows, locks) quit working.
Dealer estimated $800+ to replace the wiring harness.

While researching, I watched a goofy looking kid's YouTube video. He explained how to repair.

I opened the wiring sleeve cover at the door hinge. Ground wire was broken. Goofy kid was right!
It was so obvious- Ford used 8 strand ground wire in the harness, prone to high cyclic fatigue from door opening and closing.

I soldered in a scrap piece of electrical wire and had it fixed in about 30 minutes. My cost was literally pennies in material for the repair.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote