Join Early Retirement Today

Temporary phone numbers - free Craigslist app?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Temporary phone numbers - free Craigslist app?

This is pretty cool: create a free temporary phone # that will forward calls to your home #. I recall some thread in which some people said they wouldn't respond to a Craigslist ad if it didn't include a phone #. Thing is, maybe you don't really want the world to have your home phone #.

Inumbr will create a temporary number for you (available area codes across the US). You can choose to create a message, have it take messages, forward calls to your home, have the calls follow you if you aren't home, have calls held between 9pm & 8am, have the phone number expire whenever you want, lots of options.... then just create a new # when you wish!

inumbr:: Auto expiring. FREE anonymous phone numbers for online safety.

Worked quick and easy when I tried it. Makes me feel like Mr. Phelps. This number will expire in five seconds: 5,4,3,2

Young women need a phone number they can pass out at the bar, then regret and nuke the next morning?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What does it cost?

Free to canoe

Old 10-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

i'm way too thrifty. how much to canoe?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #4

Free is good enough for me.
I am sure that this is a service of some value that I will use someday.
I am not ready to now, however and didn't want to give them all of my info just to find out.
Hard to believe it is free. How can they never reuse the numbers?

Free to call
Old 10-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #5

This thread made me think of Google Voice. It's been mentioned a few times in the forums. I got interested enough a few weeks ago to give it a try. It's kind of a permanent phone number alternative.

You get a phone number from Google Voice. You can then set that phone number to ring multiple phones -- like your home phone and cell phone. Whichever phone you pick up gets the call. If you don't pick up the call, it goes to voice mail.

As you can imagine from Google, it is infinitely configurable. You can set hours when each of your phones can get called. You can customize your voicemail greeting by groups of callers or even individual callers, including directing specific callers/unknown callers/blocks numbers directlty to voicemail. You can record phone calls. You can set it to email your voicemails, or transcribe them and email them or text message them.

You can make domestic (USA and Canada) long distance calls for free using your google voice number.

If you're a gmail user, it integrates with your gmail contact list.

It's free.

It's only available by invite, and I'd heard it can take a long time to get an invite, so I ended up buying an invite on ebay for 99 cents.

I've just been experimenting, but so far I am very impressed. Call quality seems just fine.

Coach
Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Administrator

Coach, that is so good it sounds like science fiction! Maybe some day I'll try it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
This thread made me think of Google Voice. ... It's only available by invite, and I'd heard it can take a long time to get an invite, so I ended up buying an invite on ebay for 99 cents.
There is an Invite available here -- at the time I wrote this. (It has been posted for several hours, however.)

Anyway, Google Voice is the best thing ever.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Can you get a number with any area code??

How about if you have a distant person you want to call -- if they get a google number that's local to you, then you get free long distance, yes?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

How about if you have a distant person you want to call -- if they get a google number that's local to you, then you get free long distance, yes?
You have to live in the area in which the number is assigned. I believe, however, all calls are local but I will have to check --that would be tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Just got an Inumbr with an area code for Washington DC that will forward to me in Oregon. Good for the next hour: 202-360-4694 x 227

There are only a dozen or so area codes supported I see in further inspection. Don't see Alaska or Hawaii.

But oughta cut down on long distance for the contiguous states.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The more I think about the Long Distance thing... It would probably work as before -- in the normal way. The only thing that would change would be the "all phones at once" aspect. (I haven't thought about Long Distance charges since getting a cell phone several years ago.)

The "help" page for Google Voice is located here: Google Voice Help

Among the extensive data is this:

Google Voice Basics: How it works

With Google Voice, you get all your calls through a single number. Just add your other numbers to Google Voice and then make your own rules for how your phones ring. Click the Settings link on the right side of the page and click the Phones tab to change your phone settings and add the numbers you want to forward your calls to.

You can access and make calls from the phone and the Web, block annoying callers at will, and record custom greetings for different callers or groups of callers.
With Google Voice, you'll get all your voicemails in one place, saved for as long as you want. If you don't answer a call to your Google number, your callers will be sent to your Google voicemail. You can check messages by calling your Google number, by signing in to Google Voice, or by opting in to receive notifications.

You'll also get more handy features that work across all your phones:
  • ListenIn as callers leave you a message
  • Record calls on the fly so you never have to fumble for a pen again
  • Switch phones mid-call without your caller knowing
  • And more...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
There are only a dozen or so area codes supported I see in further inspection. Don't see Alaska or Hawaii.
Remember this is pretty new. In fact, it is actually in the Beta stage and participation is by invitation only. I have used it for a month or so now and they have made great strides in that time. (I should quickly mention that I am not a "Beta Tester" in the normal sense but only a "user.") I suspect when they open it up to everyone these little kinks will have been worked out.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
then you get free long distance, yes?
Upon further review... There is a page full of Q&A on the Long Distance aspect located here:

Search results - Google Voice Help
Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Another google voice user here. I got in early on the beta months ago (with a real invite directly from google! ). I mainly use it as a backup number and a number I can give to people if I just want a voicemail. Also good for craigslist ads, since for some reason some craigslist buyers assume I will be conscious at 1:30 am.

Another way I plan on using this is to give it out as my cell #, then use my throw away tracfones I get for free with it. The phone number stays the same, but the cell phone is new every 2-5 months.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Just got an Inumbr with an area code for Washington DC that will forward to me in Oregon. Good for the next hour: 202-360-4694 x 227
Did anyone call you?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
then use my throw away tracfones I get for free with it.
We get free tracfones? How did I miss that? Where do I apply?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
We get free tracfones? How did I miss that? Where do I apply?
You pay tracfone $16-20 for a 90-day airtime card and it comes with a free phone. DW uses the airtime card, I use the free throw away phone. It is free for me in the sense that I can't find the airtime cards cheaper anywhere else so I am paying nothing extra for the free phone.

Come to think of it, tracfone may market the phone as $20 and the airtime card as free. Can't recall right now exactly how it was worded.

The "free" phones have 2 months of activation and 20 minutes talk time. Works for me as a "glove box" phone.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did anyone call you?
Nope - guess no DC members wanted to try it out in that narrow window. I've only tried it using my cell to call the house phone. It worked, I thought it was cool.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
You pay them...

Come to think of it, they...
Google Voice?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Google Voice?
Nope. Tracfone. Earlier post edited to clarify that.