Join Early Retirement Today

Tempurpedic - vs - Serta iComfort
Old 02-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tempurpedic - vs - Serta iComfort

I'm in need of a new mattress and heard good things about Tempurpedic. I have some old back issues stemming from my military days and really need to buy something of quality. I laid on both the Tempurpedic and Serta iComfort and truly could not tell a difference. Both of them were extremely comfortable. The Tempurpedic has been around for awhile now and supposedly the Serta is its closest challenger. The sales person was pushing the Tempurpedic hard which happens to be TWICE as expensive as the Serta. Anyone have any inputs/experiences?

Thanks
Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Mike,
I have a Tempurpedic. When I got it I did not have back issues. I do now but I hurt my back separately and I'm sure the years of sitting at a desk working on a computer is one of primary reasons and not the mattress. Nevertheless, I do find that the Tempurpedic sometimes feels better and sometimes does not. The problem is it just isn't as firm as a very firm mattress and sometimes the ever so slight sinking of my back/hips/legs is enough to bother me. My other niggling complaint is on very hot days the Tempurpedic does feel a little hot. This used to be a bigger problem with memory foam and they have gotten much better but they still can't compare to a regular mattress in terms of heat dispersion. So if you are one of those sleepers that prefers a cooler environment it can be enough to bother you.
2015maybetheyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never slept on either, but I do have opinions on choosing a mattress.

I think testing the mattresses out in the store was a good idea and probably should be one of your main sources of information for this decision. Did you stay on each of them for at least 10 minutes? Was it the same day, so that you could remember how the other mattress felt?

It's hard to focus on how a mattress feels with the salesman yammering at you while you are testing, sometimes.

If you are certain that they both feel the same, and that your test was long enough, then that is some good information to have.

The most comfortable mattress I ever had was one I chose after a long test like that, and without the slightest idea of what kind of mattress would work for me. A few years later, I bought another mattress which was slightly less satisfactory (I'd say a B- instead of an A+); I didn't test it for as long, and also I had the pre-conceived notion that I was looking for a soft mattress so I got one that was a little too soft.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We got a new mattress about a year ago. Tried both Tempurpedic and iComfort and got the iComfort. I found the iComfort a bit less warm though I think both are warmer than a standard mattress (that could be a good thing or a bad thing for you...I run hot when I sleep). I also found that the TempurPedic got softer the longer you lay in it whereas the iComfort did not. Supposely this is due to some difference in how they are made with the iComfort being pressure sensitive and the Tempur heat

The iComfort is very nice and compared to our way too old mattress my back thanks me
Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have never slept on either, but I do have opinions on choosing a mattress.

I think testing the mattresses out in the store was a good idea and probably should be one of your main sources of information for this decision. Did you stay on each of them for at least 10 minutes? Was it the same day, so that you could remember how the other mattress felt?

It's hard to focus on how a mattress feels with the salesman yammering at you while you are testing, sometimes.

If you are certain that they both feel the same, and that your test was long enough, then that is some good information to have.

The most comfortable mattress I ever had was one I chose after a long test like that, and without the slightest idea of what kind of mattress would work for me. A few years later, I bought another mattress which was slightly less satisfactory (I'd say a B- instead of an A+); I didn't test it for as long, and also I had the pre-conceived notion that I was looking for a soft mattress so I got one that was a little too soft.
No I didn't lay on them for 10 mins or longer. Actually, I was having a hard time believing that I was even considering paying $4000 for a mattress!

Both of these mattresses have a 120 day in home trial period.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
We got a new mattress about a year ago. Tried both Tempurpedic and iComfort and got the iComfort. I found the iComfort a bit less warm though I think both are warmer than a standard mattress (that could be a good thing or a bad thing for you...I run hot when I sleep). I also found that the TempurPedic got softer the longer you lay in it whereas the iComfort did not. Supposely this is due to some difference in how they are made with the iComfort being pressure sensitive and the Tempur heat

The iComfort is very nice and compared to our way too old mattress my back thanks me
That would be a problem for me. Currently my wife wears her flannels covered by at least 2 blankets and I am laying there in just my boxers sweating.

Mike
Old 02-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
No I didn't lay on them for 10 mins or longer. Actually, I was having a hard time believing that I was even considering paying $4000 for a mattress!

Both of these mattresses have a 120 day in home trial period.

Thanks
Mike
Yeah, but I think that is partially a sales gimmick. If it's only a little bit less comfortable, I'd think one would be less likely to return it during that 120 days. I wouldn't get around to it.

At least for me, I'd rather be sure that the mattress I am spending that kind of money on, is the best mattress available for me right from the start.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the best site I've found for comparing mattresses. Many search options on the left side.
Top Rated Mattresses 2015 : Unbiased Reviews and Ratings : Best Bed Brands Research : Consumer Reports

Seems like I recall the i-comfort has a cooling gel added.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've had the iComfort and have been happy with it, although we might not be the most sophisticated mattress critics. We sleep well and have no complaints.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

have had the icomfort for 2 years now and love it. DW has some back issues which have seem to improve.

tried them both before we went with the icomfort. We probably laid on both for 20-30 minutes in the store before making our decision
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

There was an interesting mattress at Costco a few weeks back, but it's not there now, and I don't see it on their site, and I didn't catch the name of it, and my web searches didn't come up with it.

It was different - let's see if I can describe it:

Imagine a mattress that is 'hollowed out' - so it looks kind of like a shallow, empty box w/o a top. The sides are firm, probably ~ 3" of a stiff foam. Then a foam mattress topper goes on top.

Inside the 'box' was what was interesting - a bunch of foam cylinders, a bit taller than a toilet roll, but about the same inside/outside diameters. The foam cylinders were set vertically, and were the 'springs' of the mattress. What was cool was - there were three different colors of cylinders, and each was a very different stiffness. So you could mix/match these cylinders to adjust how firm it was, with different firmness levels in different spots.

It looked interesting, and probably easy to move, but since I'm not in the market I didn't catch any more details.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
have had the icomfort for 2 years now and love it. DW has some back issues which have seem to improve.

tried them both before we went with the icomfort. We probably laid on both for 20-30 minutes in the store before making our decision

What firmness did you get and after sleeping on it for awhile did you think you made the right choice?

A coworker of mine bought the extra firm and said he thought he made a huge mistake initially, but either got used to it or actually thinks it may have softened up a little over time.

thanks
Mike
Old 02-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe it is the 'firm' not extra firm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
What firmness did you get and after sleeping on it for awhile did you think you made the right choice?

A coworker of mine bought the extra firm and said he thought he made a huge mistake initially, but either got used to it or actually thinks it may have softened up a little over time.

thanks
Mike
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
I believe it is the 'firm' not extra firm

Thanks

Mike
Old 02-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

$4000? That's nothing!

A few years back, I was at a high end electronics retailer who had a $30,000 bed for sale. It was OK, but I don't get it. Not sure why they were selling these beds, but I guess they were targeting a certain demographic.

This is the company. Beds from $20k to $60k. You don't just buy it. You contact an ambassador to introduce you to it.

Vividus : the Most Luxurious Bed in the World
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #16

I own a Tempurpedic and I love it. I always had neck pain in the morning and decided to try it. It took quite a bit of getting used to but in the end it relived the neck pain.

Also, I can say that it was definitely not a placebo effect. I was not on board with getting one but gave in. Glad I lost that one...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
There was an interesting mattress at Costco a few weeks back, but it's not there now, and I don't see it on their site, and I didn't catch the name of it, and my web searches didn't come up with it.

It was different - let's see if I can describe it:

Imagine a mattress that is 'hollowed out' - so it looks kind of like a shallow, empty box w/o a top. The sides are firm, probably ~ 3" of a stiff foam. Then a foam mattress topper goes on top.

Inside the 'box' was what was interesting - a bunch of foam cylinders, a bit taller than a toilet roll, but about the same inside/outside diameters. The foam cylinders were set vertically, and were the 'springs' of the mattress. What was cool was - there were three different colors of cylinders, and each was a very different stiffness. So you could mix/match these cylinders to adjust how firm it was, with different firmness levels in different spots.

It looked interesting, and probably easy to move, but since I'm not in the market I didn't catch any more details.

-ERD50
Perhaps it was like the ones shown in this article - Dormeo Octaspring promises to shake up industry with aggressive plan to market unusual foam spring mattresses | BedTimes
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a tempurpaedic going on 15 years now and it still feels great to me, though as pointed out it can be a warm mattress. That is good on these very cold nights however.

I can't say I would have gotten it for $4,000 however. In my case my Ex used to work at Brookstone and for a few years at least they had a promotion for good workers that stayed with them for at least a year *and* made it through their Christmas season. For 2 weeks in I think it was January (or maybe February?) they could buy one tempurpaedic mattress and boxspring for $400 delivered. We got two of them, and each kept one in the divorce.
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We've bought two different mattresses from Denver Mattress Company and been very pleased with them. The one we got for the motorhome was the Dr. Choice.

Their own brand mattresses test really well compared to the name brands and are better value. They carry the name brand mattresses like Serta, Sealy, Beauty-rest and Temper-pedic as well, so you can try them all and compare.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The dense memory foam mattresses are a real problem for my LBYM sensibilities here in the American South. We let it get a little warm in the house in the summer. This has been an impediment from me trying one.

I've slept on one in a guest room of a sibling, and I like it. But even in winter, I sometimes wake up with fake night sweats.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote