Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
but then I found IBC Diet Root Beer. I think IBC is infinitely better than all of the others.
IBC is quite good, but expensive. Sprecher is based here in Milwaukee and they make a GREAT root beer.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Heck, I have two Hondas in my driveway now, I like rice...... One of my college buddies had an old 900S turbo, that things really screamed.......

I'm front a different era, I like to stand by the exhaust and listen to the music of a big block not a sewing machine.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I heard they're keeping the K-Mart name and phasing out Sears, presumably some/all Sears stores will become K-Marts. Sounds backwards to me, K-Mart is a less favorable brand than Sears IMO, but evidently I'm part of a minority.
I must be part of the minority too. Sears feels like an outdated retailer, but k-mart is downright IMO.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

For the root beer aficionados in this thread, comprehensive if not definitive Great American Root Beer Showdown

Thought this was a clever quote too
Quote:
To build Hires' awareness, Hires became the first U.S. businessman to aggressively advertise his product, subscribing to the principle that "doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark: you know what you are doing, but nobody else does."

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I'm front a different era, I like to stand by the exhaust and listen to the music of a big block not a sewing machine.
Looks like someone posted a short clip of you enjoying yourself...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #26

Nope, not me, this is more of what I had in mind.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Saab would be a shame, love those quirky cars, even if they do eat oil and turbos..........
My favorite Saab story (get it?) was a buddy of mine who owned an early 60's Saab which had a 3 cylinder 2 cycle engine (oil mixed with gas). He ran out of gas, but kept trying to start the engine. Because there was no fuel, there was no oil on the cylinder walls. He burnt the engine up.

Shortly after replacing the engine, he was sitting in a class and suddenly, the thought occurred to him "A tree has just fallen on my car." He left when class was over and discovered to his dismay that he had some psychic ability which had never manifested itself before.

My thinking on current Saabs (in general) is that when they are good, they are very, very good, but... etc. etc. etc. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My Saab story is that the heat adjuster got stuck and it cost $1,000 to fix it (in today's dollars). That car was very expensive to repair. Luckily we had a multiple-thousand dollar repair coming up but our house burned to the ground with the Saab in it before getting it done. The last I saw that car it was less than one foot high.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #29

Sorry about the house Al but I think that the Saab cars are designed ignite and self destruct at some point.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Well, my HS car was a 67 Chevelle SS 396 convertible, I suppose that counts. Of course there was that L82 Stingray and a couple other Impalas. Today, I want reliability, and more than 8mpg.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Well, my HS car was a 67 Chevelle SS 396 convertible, I suppose that counts. Of course there was that L82 Stingray and a couple other Impalas. Today, I want reliability, and more than 8mpg.......
Hey, I get it, you're in the accumulation phase, just be carefull you don't slip on the rice. It'll be tight living off SS disability.

Would you rather stand behind a Saab or a big block Chevelle to listen to the music. I'll bet you'd love to have a Saab Sonnet, remember them?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #32

Now this should turn you on! Here is a Saab 2 stroke engine, I think the guy wants to put it on his lawn mower.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My Saab story. I bought DW a used BMW 325e from a private owner in 1988 and I took it to a large dealer for pre-sale inspection. The dealer sold new BMW, Nissan, Saab & Maserati.

They had 24 service bays in their shop. They invited me out to show me what they found on my prospective BMW (almost nothing). I noticed as I walked through their shop the bays were all full. There was 1 Nissan, 2 BMW's and 22 Saabs being serviced. If I ever wanted to own a Saab, that cured me for life...

I also had a buddy who bought a used Saab Turbo a few years later, I kept my opinion to myself. In less than 6 months, the engine was blown, it cost him a fortune to fix. After he fixed it, he sold it right away.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #34

Hmm - I do like A&W root beer - as for Sears - wow - they were the first store who offered a house by catalog. They had built one of the most effective logistics supply-chains for the time. Sad to see it go, even if just for the history.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I must be part of the minority too. Sears feels like an outdated retailer, but k-mart is downright IMO.

+2
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was young Sears was a great store to buy quality goods at reasonable prices. Dad's overalls and jeans for the brothers even clothes for me a real working family store. K-Mart was cheap so if you wanted a cheap plastic table cloth it was the place to go.

I used to respect Sears and Kenmore and Craftsman brands until they lost my trust. We bought Craftsman major tools like a rototiller then when it needed blades they didn't sell them the same with a wood chipper. Repair shops wouldn't work on Craftsman products so I will never again buy craftsman tools except maybe hand tools and never buy Kenmore. They moved the furniture to another building named Sears Furniture and declared bankruptcy cheating people and companies that trusted the Sears name. I now don't trust them at all so when I wanted appliances this summer I got Maytag, Jennaire and Electrolux and only my old sewing machine is Kenmore.

Kmart is still a place to get a cheap plastic table cloth but will never be the store Sears was 60 years ago.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No more Corn Pops? They were right about 2012. The world is ending.
+1

Corn pops are awesome and one of my very favorite diversions is caramel covered corn pops with pecans - sort of a twist on cracker jacks.

What's next? Cheetos can't be far behind. Perhaps we need to start a puffed corn withdrawal support group.....
Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #38

Quote:
You could always come back.... My 2001 corvette averages 24mpg and 30 highway. And it's reliable.

As for Sears. I'll miss them if they go away. Maybe they can find a way to keep their Sears Hardware stores open. I like their hand tools.