Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome back CFB! Looks like you have been experiencing "life", both good and not so good.
Hope to see more of your posts regularly, as I always enjoy them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back. Sorry about the divorce and accident, but sometimes in life you get to eat a **** sandwich or two.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a few rough years but managed to come out in good shape. Hoping you'll stick around!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Adding my "welcome back", CFB. I recall you as one of my ER heroes when I was only a lurker. Sorry to hear of your rough patch.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome back.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I missed that witty CFB voice. Sounds like you haven't lost that even with all of your travails. I hope you decide to stick around for a while and join in the fray at your previous level.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, CFB, one of us really early one returns! Sorry to hear about your luck, I've never had a big piece of cr*p fall on me but I have been through a divorce. Just one thought, in Mass, there is a law that even though you are divorced, you can allow the other person to stay on your health insurance, as long as you pay the difference in the premiums. Even if you put this in the divorce, you don't have to allow them access to it, it's just something you can do. If your soon-to-be ex and you can get along well enough to look into this, maybe you can stay on her health insurance.

As for me, I was off for about 2 years, now back to work. Hoping to get out by 45 if all of the FIRE stars align.

Good luck and hope to see you around the place more.
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #28

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the wringer you've been through but it sounds like you're on track to recover well in all regards.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Welcome back. Heard lots about you - mostly unbelievable. The last 10 years sound like quite a story.
All of the stuff you heard that sounded good was a lie, everything else was the truth.

Quote:
Better other kids in your house that your children somewhere else?
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Video game room, basketball court, every sports ball in existence, every skateboard/scooter/bike/hybrid rideable, puppies, a candy bowl and a freezer full of frozen pizza = you won't ever wonder where your kid is, and neither will the parents of any other kid in the neighborhood.

It was funny because a new family moved in with a couple of kids in the right age range (which is pretty liberal, like 5-15 at this point) and within two hours both kids were playing with the usual crowd, and my driveway looked like a bicycle junkyard. I sent one home to report their whereabouts, but apparently that didn't get communicated and I had worried parents at the door an hour later, alerted only by the bicycle 'marker buoys' outside.

Its actually easier to have 5 kids in the other room than just Gabe. They keep each other busy, I break up a disagreement once or so an hour, and lob a pizza onto the table every 4 hours.

However, looks like I have to keep an eye on the boy. He lured the 14 year old girl from across the street up into his room to watch a movie and came down asking me to cut up some strawberries for her. This after he got me in trouble at 3.5 for kissing on some 5 year old at the park.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
As for me...not a damn thing. It's just later the same day...

Whew...you've been through the wringer. Sure is good to know that you have not only survived all the 'fun', but are beginning to flourish.

Welcome back darlin'.
Good to be back. Not sure for how much or how long, but when stuff is changing all around you, an old pair of shoes can be comforting!

Things aren't so bad, at least not yet. We'll see how it goes. I expect a lot of aggravation for a while until we fall into a new routine and straighten everything out, but this too shall pass.

Time to blossom again...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Time to blossom again...
Welcome back, fartblossom...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

[
However, looks like I have to keep an eye on the boy. He lured the 14 year old girl from across the street up into his room to watch a movie and came down asking me to cut up some strawberries for her. This after he got me in trouble at 3.5 for kissing on some 5 year old at the park.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, you will have your hands full with him!
Welcome back
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Welcome back, fartblossom...
Sorry, its all the split pea soup I've been eating the last few days. Note to self: stop making full recipes for families of six.

Nice though, I grilled some smithfield ham steaks over charcoal, made a nice basic green split pea soup with chicken stock, carrots, onions, garlic, italian seasoning and a large chunk of cajun spiced tasso seasoning ham, which at the end of the cooking got diced up, as did the ham steaks.

One of my dieting secrets...I found a little local charcuterie up the road with a monthy membership club. I get rabbit confit, duck pastrami, specialty sausages, all sorts of pate's, rillettes, and some nice condiments like whole grain mustard and apple ketchup. Most items are made from locally raised grass fed meats and the produce from her husbands family farm. Price is right too. Smaller amounts of delicious things makes for a very satiating diet.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All of the stuff you heard that sounded good was a lie, everything else was the truth.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Video game room, basketball court, every sports ball in existence, every skateboard/scooter/bike/hybrid rideable, puppies, a candy bowl and a freezer full of frozen pizza = you won't ever wonder where your kid is, and neither will the parents of any other kid in the neighborhood.

It was funny because a new family moved in with a couple of kids in the right age range (which is pretty liberal, like 5-15 at this point) and within two hours both kids were playing with the usual crowd, and my driveway looked like a bicycle junkyard. I sent one home to report their whereabouts, but apparently that didn't get communicated and I had worried parents at the door an hour later, alerted only by the bicycle 'marker buoys' outside.

Its actually easier to have 5 kids in the other room than just Gabe. They keep each other busy, I break up a disagreement once or so an hour, and lob a pizza onto the table every 4 hours.

However, looks like I have to keep an eye on the boy. He lured the 14 year old girl from across the street up into his room to watch a movie and came down asking me to cut up some strawberries for her. This after he got me in trouble at 3.5 for kissing on some 5 year old at the park.
Word to the wise: be careful about maing sure there are never any misunderstandings. Your kind of set up is of course completely harmless, but a divorced guy with "free candy" in the house and lots of kids running around raises the risk for wagging tongues and misunderstandings.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Dude! bunnywithapancakeonitshead! Good to see your words again.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #36

CFB, welcome back! You've been missed.

Sorry to hear about your health and divorce.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back..............I have missed you. The forum just got a whole lot mroe interesting..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #38

Wow...I can't believe it's been that long.....

Welcome back! Sorry about the pending divorce thing. Been there, done it...not fun.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back.

Soooo other than a few minor adventures how are things really?

heh heh heh - great to hear from you.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #40

Quote:
I was pouring booze down my throat like I was getting paid to do it, but after a year of hard work I've ... quit drinking ... decided to stop being a fat alcoholic ...
I heard about all the layoffs at the wine boxing factory in Lodi. Now it makes sense.