Terrible or just bad food that you accidentally eat

Anything with jalapenos in it (I love Cajun spices and tabasco and so on, but I absolutely detest jalapenos!).

i just had jalapenos on my turkey breast subway

As you may or may not know...I am a new(ish) dad. When the lil gal was just a arm flaring infant... I was busy changing her when DW asked me a question that required a fairly long and open mouthed answer...

You guys can go ahead and guess how this one ends. If it looks like it, and it smells like it...don't bother with tasting...take my word. :D

I've never had Vegemite but I must admit to actually liking Marmite.

See? You knew I was strange, but now you know why!

One day, I went in to grab a small stick, and it tasted funny. I took out the wrapping from the trash can and looked at the brand. It was intended for cats!

I did not die from this apparently.

Have you since developed a newfound desire to bury, rather than flush?

If I kept eating it despite my dislike, I might.

Reminds of that old joke...

Q: What is worse than biting into an apple and finding a worm?
A: Biting into an apple and finding half a worm.

Tart Alponaise - made and served at a dinner party many years ago. it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Dog kibble looks a bit like cherries, when you cover it in red glaze and serve it on a lovely platter.

Attachments

• tart alponaise.jpg
    tart alponaise.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 194
I did not like the taste, else would ask my wife where she got it, and how much it cost. :)

It would be interesting to do A/B test of this stick and Slim Jim with cats to see which one they prefer.

Back when I was a wee 2Lt, one of our enlisted folks told us a story about a fellow colleague who would bring their dog to work on the satellite ops floor in Loring, Maine. Seems someone (not the owner) had a bad habit of feeding the dog Slim Jims, which resulted in the dog farting continuously and stinking up the place.....

Possible lesson learned - you may not want to embark on that A/B test......

Hey, I just realized this post could do double duty on the 'hover' thread hijack....

The thread title is self-explanatory. I will go first.

I often snack on Jack Links and SlimJim sticks. Sometimes I would try some lesser known brands. And we usually keep them on the shelves in the utility room which is dark.

One day, I went in to grab a small stick, and it tasted funny. I took out the wrapping from the trash can and looked at the brand. It was intended for cats! My wife bought them with the intention of giving them to my children's cats, which my daughter calls our "grandcats".

I did not die from this apparently. Did not taste horrible, but definitely not like any stick I have eaten. Will be more careful next time. :)

PS. I have also eaten some exotic jerky sticks made from unusual meat like salmon, trout, etc... Yes, they are meant for human consumption, but the taste is definitely different and I will not buy again.

1. When we were kids, my parents would let us snack on the Milk Bones we had for the dog. They tasted great - I can see why dogs like them.

2. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago, after flying in to Orlando, driving to our hotel there was a guy selling homemade alligator jerky out of the back of his van on the side of the road. I figured why not? It was the greatest thing I've ever had...I was snacking on it all week.

What I debate is how old the food in the refrigerator is. Should I eat that 6 day old pizza slice for lunch? Should I throw out that strawberry that is partly moldy or cut off the moldy part?

In general I don't eat processed meats so no experiences there. Occasionally I do have a few slices on pepperoni on a pizza.

Have not had any case of food poisoning from our stuff so I must be doing something right.

Frugal me, who borders on cheapskate would eat it all. Part moldy - rinse and/or cut the moldy portion off...it's just extra ripe. 6 day old pizza - absolutely! Toss it in the toaster oven or the microwave.

Actually, dogs and cats are hurt more when fed human food than the other way around.

I knew chocolate can kill dogs, but just found out that it is lethal to cats also. In addition, onion is toxic to cats. And just a bit of alcohol can kill a cat. And the list goes on and on.

Humans are omnivore, and we can eat as much variety as a pig. It's more that we do not like to eat something, rather than it can hurt us.

Today where I volunteer was a fresh box of Dunkin Donut donut holes.

I can't believe that I accidentally ate three of them :cool:

Rich

Tart Alponaise - made and served at a dinner party many years ago. it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Dog kibble looks a bit like cherries, when you cover it in red glaze and serve it on a lovely platter.
Cherry pie used to be my favorite dish. Until I saw this. It'll never be the same. :nonono:

In college many of my friends dipped snuff (I detest the idea). At parties, many beer cans would be left around and it was easy to lose track of which one was mine. Sorry, but I just can't tell the rest of this story! :sick:

Anything with jalapenos in it

I accidentally ate a piece of a cherry pepper last night. To be fair, they were mentioned in the menu, but it was an order of calamari so i figured they'd be a pick-that-off garnish or in the dip or something. But no, some some of the nice little breaded fried rings of squid were actually little breaded fried rings of peppers...

Had it been anything hotter, my tastebuds would have been over for the night. I can't do spicey.

Back during my w*rking days I was visiting headquarters in Copenhagen. The locals took me out for dinner at a fairly nice restaurant in Tivoli Gardens. At the salad bar I wasn't seeing much that appealed to me but there was a big dish that looked to be strawberry pudding. One big mouthful expecting something sweet tasting that was actually some fish concoction, I about spewed it out. Got a big laugh from the locals. Beer was good though to wash it down.

In Karachi, 1963, two of us met some students who let us crash with our sleeping bags, in their dirt floored, unlit, kinda adjacent garage.

Next evening we went for a walk with them.....I was hungry and spied what I incorrectly presumed was a donut street vendor.

Tasted like hot sawdust. Very hot sawdust.

Sat down to a nice weekend breakfast with the grand kids over for a visit. DW made pancakes and heated the syrup in a coffee cup. I picked it up instead of my coffee and took a swig.

Once in the military on a remote tour, I went to the mess hall for breakfast. On my tray I added a cup of coffee, a glass of OJ and a glass of milk. In my morning fog I grabbed what I thought was the milk. I tasted OJ. I opened my eyes more and indeed it was the milk. Very spoiled milk.

I was at a restaurant once where the waiter was apparently very new. He brought the dessert tray over for our table, and I pointed to the one I wanted... and he gave me the one off the prepared tray.

Problem was the tray consisted of non-food item display pieces that had fake whipped topping on it (I think it was caulking?) so they could leave it out looking pretty and perfect all day/week/month.

The manager was horrified. I mean, literally told us he was horrified that this happened. I guess so? I mean it's not like we didn't discover the error within seconds of actually attempting to eat our desserts.

Caulk tastes terrible, by the way.

While staying in Australia we were buying bread at a bakery and a lady next to me was having difficulty lifting up the cover on a tray of samples of croissant pastries rippled with chocolate. I lifted the cover for her and also snagged a piece for myself and almost gagged when I popped it into my mouth. The dark rippling was not chocolate, it was vegemite.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite.

Vegemite and Marmite - two of the most disgusting concoctions known to mankind.

LOL, I got used to it growing up....

Last edited:
Ah, a strange lady gave you a vegemite sandwich?

I did not try it when in Australia, but would. Probably will not like it, but I don't think it would gag me.

I had already tried vegemite and knew I didn't like it, I do like marmite and eat it regularly.

I've deliberately tried plenty of distasteful stuff such as lave bread, jellied eels, and Icelandic rotten fish.

It was the shock of biting into what I thought was pain-au-chocolate only to discover that it was vegemite that was the problem.

Back
Top Bottom