Terrible or just bad food that you accidentally eat

Haggis was something we tried and thought we would hate as its reputation had preceded its appearance on a breakfast buffet; surprisingly good, formed into small portions and sautéed.

DD at age 4 expected to be eating a chocolate truffle thingie when she popped a deep fried chicken liver into her mouth. She became a vegetarian eight years later and I swear that was one reason.

I have not tried menudo, but know that a main ingredient in this dish is tripe.

When in Madrid some years ago with my wife's friend who was German, she ordered a tripe dish in a Galician restaurant. She was excited waiting for the dish, saying she had not had it for a while. Tripe is not that scary outside of the US.

PS. She gave me a small bite. It was OK, and I could tell there was cumin. I just looked at recipes for menudo, and yes cumin was there.

Last edited:
In 1983 we were in Jamaica and went to a rip-off "Night on White River" show. Food was buffet style, and included chicken. I've never eaten dog meat, but I am 100% certain that the supposed chicken was something else, and I'm pretty certain it was dog meat.
On a lighter note, many years ago my elderly grandmother was visiting. Coincidentally, so was my older brother who brought his dog with him. Grandma spoke very little English, and could not read it at all. She thought one of the packaged dog biscuits was a cookie; she ate half of one before deciding the cookie wasn't to her liking. No one told her what she had really eaten.

I
In college many of my friends dipped snuff (I detest the idea). At parties, many beer cans would be left around and it was easy to lose track of which one was mine. Sorry, but I just can't tell the rest of this story! :sick:
Disgusting! I dipped for years. Real men swallow.

Several trips to Jakarta, Indonesia during the early 1980's when with ARCO.

Ate at an Indonesian buffet one day with a company supplied driver, aka "tour guide". When I asked about the meat on a stick I just ate, he said don't ask, but said how many dogs have you seen around the city? :blush:

Many years ago I took a day tour in Taiwan up to the marble quarries at Hualien. We stopped for lunch at a very nice inn in the mountains and had a delicious stew. I had no idea what it was, but found out later that it was dog. Surprised me, but it was apparently a common thing in that area. There is a town in China that has a big dog meat festival every year.

As someone once pointed out, it's hard to imagine the bravery of the first person to eat a live oyster. But of course they're delicious as well.

I've eaten some very bizarre things around the world, and enjoyed most of them. But the only two times I've ever had food poisoning were both in the USA.

Vegemite and Marmite - two of the most disgusting concoctions known to mankind.

As one who likes Marmite, I'm rather appalled by this bit:
Marmite, Pot Noodles and Magnums face being sold by Unilever if they can't prove they make 'meaningful' impact on the planet

Who knew that a product had to be meaningful as well as popular?
Speaking to investors Mr Jope said the decision was due to the changing consumer market where products that don't promote sustainability or fit with the company's ethics are no longer enough.

Regarding the potential cut of loved products Jope said: 'Principles are only principles when they cost you something.'

I have not sampled Marmite and Vegemite despite having visited their respective countries of origin.

Saw them offered on Amazon, and been debating if I should order some. Besides sampling them to decide for myself, I could be offering them to guests to liven up a get-together.

I may just get hooked and be ordering them by the case.

I may just get hooked and be ordering them by the case.

Stranger things have, (apparently), happened.

Prior to contracting sepsis I was a big (natural) peanut butter fan.....upon leaving hospital three months ago I couldn't face it......now, over the past week or so, I'm back at it with a vengeance, but suddenly the thought of canned salmon turns my stomach.

Perhaps at this point, with my currently transmogrified appetite, I could find Marmite/Vegemite to be tolerable.

Naah....that's a step too far. :yuk:

Menudo. I had to try this Mexican dish. Once was more than enough!

It has to be properly prepared. Neighbors in the know tell me. Very popular around here - I’d had it a few times and doesn’t do much for me. I much prefer pozole which is much harder to find here.

What I debate is how old the food in the refrigerator is. Should I eat that 6 day old pizza slice for lunch? Should I throw out that strawberry that is partly moldy or cut off the moldy part?

In general I don't eat processed meats so no experiences there. Occasionally I do have a few slices on pepperoni on a pizza.

Have not had any case of food poisoning from our stuff so I must be doing something right.

I am usually OK with keeping food for over a week if I have prepared it. Depends on what it is. Usually my limit is approaching 8 or 9 days. It's probably OK, but I would rather pass.

The jelly, I just scrape the top off. I have tried it and it is usually a bit grainy from the sugar, but it is great to use as a meat glaze on chicken or ham or marinade. Kind of the same way for cheese, just cut the bad part off and use it or throw it in the freezer and put it in a soup or something else later. We don't usually throw anything away at all. I have seen my husband keep lunch meat for over three weeks and it was still good. I won't eat it, but it doesn't bother him.

Went to a Peruvian family’s home for lunch several weeks ago, and they served roasted guinea pig as one of the appetizers. Tasted a little like pork, but all the tiny bones made me think too much about it, and I stopped after 2 bites. Another local food I tried was roasted alpaca, but it was an utterly tasteless meat; I much preferred the taste of beef.

.. I have seen my husband keep lunch meat for over three weeks and it was still good...

That's because it's devoid of natural/perishable ingredients.

I beg to differ. The lunch meat has plenty of natural and honest-to-goodness constituents, which are protected from bacteria by preservatives. It's the same with salami, and other cured meats such as my go-to meat sticks for snack.

Now, how the human system can digest that "protected" food is amazing. Or perhaps it does not, and I simply do not realize it. :)

The better part of 60 years ago I worked in a plant just outside Adelaide, South Australia, that made a form of Spam. I saw it made, partook in the process.

But I'd never eat it.

The following video shows how Hormel makes Spam at 7:00. I have not eaten this in a long time because it's loaded with fat, but I am not scared of it.

PS. Canned pig feet at 5:00. Bacon at 2:30.

Last edited:
I had gone to the funeral service of a coworker who was from Sierra Leone. His family prepared the luncheon after the service. I'm not exactly sure what I was eating, but a stewed meat of some kind. It had the immediate taste of an ashtray and the aftertaste of fresh dirt. Earthy is the only way I could describe it.

I once sat across from a man at a buffet style wedding reception who was talking while he was eating and suddenly squeezed his eyes shut, snarled his lips and began chewing with his mouth open. I thought he was going to have a seizure. Several guests were asking if he was okay. He finally opened his eyes and said he had accidentally eaten the pads of butter on his plate! It struck me as so funny! In his defense the buffet food was predominently light colored.

Back
Top Bottom