Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Terrible or just bad food that you accidentally eat
Old 07-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The thread title is self-explanatory. I will go first.

I often snack on Jack Links and SlimJim sticks. Sometimes I would try some lesser known brands. And we usually keep them on the shelves in the utility room which is dark.

One day, I went in to grab a small stick, and it tasted funny. I took out the wrapping from the trash can and looked at the brand. It was intended for cats! My wife bought them with the intention of giving them to my children's cats, which my daughter calls our "grandcats".

I did not die from this apparently. Did not taste horrible, but definitely not like any stick I have eaten. Will be more careful next time.

PS. I have also eaten some exotic jerky sticks made from unusual meat like salmon, trout, etc... Yes, they are meant for human consumption, but the taste is definitely different and I will not buy again.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I bit into one particular pumpkin seed recently that actually made me gag to the point of almost puking. I have a high tolerance for "tasty" things but this was over the top. I ate pumpkin seeds every day but now I'm afraid of them.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
One day, I went in to grab a small stick, and it tasted funny. I took out the wrapping from the trash can and looked at the brand. It was intended for cats!
I have heard stories about retirees eating cat food but this is the first time I've actually known one!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have heard stories about retirees eating cat food but this is the first time I've actually known one!
Very good.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think NW-Bound's DW is getting him secretly conditioned for the bad times that may be coming!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I did not like the taste, else would ask my wife where she got it, and how much it cost.

It would be interesting to do A/B test of this stick and Slim Jim with cats to see which one they prefer.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Anything with jalapenos in it (I love Cajun spices and tabasco and so on, but I absolutely detest jalapenos!).

I don't order things at restaurants that are supposed to have jalapenos in them, or heaven forbid habaneros, but sometimes I get fooled. Then after drinking several glasses of water, wiping my eyes, and trying to catch my breath, I ask the waitress and she says, "oh yes! Our chef decided to try something different this time, so he added jalapenos".

And would you believe I lived in San Diego for 7 years? Never learned to like jalapenos though. My late ex used to eat them like candy.

As for packaged food items meant for animals, my suggestion is to ALWAYS read the label if it is easily available. I do.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Anything with jalapenos in it (I love Cajun spices and tabasco and so on, but I absolutely detest jalapenos!).

I don't order things at restaurants that are supposed to have jalapenos in them, or heaven forbid habaneros, but sometimes I get fooled. Then after drinking several glasses of water, wiping my eyes, and trying to catch my breath, I ask the waitress and she says, "oh yes! Our chef decided to try something different this time, so he added jalapenos".

And would you believe I lived in San Diego for 7 years? Never learned to like jalapenos though.

As for packaged food items meant for animals, my suggestion is to ALWAYS read the label if it is easily available. I do.
W2R, you and I are direct opposites as I LOVE sliced jalapenos and put them on sandwiches and salads.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
W2R, you and I are direct opposites as I LOVE sliced jalapenos and put them on sandwiches and salads.

Oh.....
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I was in South Africa and bought some ostrich biltoug(like jerky cut the wrong way). Tasted great for 3 seconds, then the taste of rancid ostrich fat permeated the spice. Clearly something that only tourists buy.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well, I did not do it deliberately. There were some crumbs on the cutting board that I thought were left from dinner. Unfortunately, it was dried cat food
After spitting it out and washing my mouth, it cured me from eating anything on the cutting board.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #12

Today, at lunch, I drank a glass of unsweetened tea with lemon. It was good. I refilled the glass but I added an ounce or less of "sweet" tea. One sip was all it took. I poured the drink down the sink. Before I got back from the bathroom, someone else had filled a glass with "sweet" tea and took a huge swallow. Salt had been added to the tea instead of sugar. We told the manager and the rest of the tea was poured out.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many Moons ago I was on a Cameroon Air flight from Douala, Cameroon to Kinshasa, Congo. A stewardess gave me a meal on the airplane. I was sitting next to two other woman and inquired as to what I was eating. They asked me in their broken dialect “Where are you from?” I said the USA. Their response was “your eating a local delicacy.” It was at that point that I knew that whatever it was - would be the first and last time I would ever eat it. I believe that it was Bush Meat or Giant Rat.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Well, I did not do it deliberately. There were some crumbs on the cutting board that I thought were left from dinner. Unfortunately, it was dried cat food
After spitting it out and washing my mouth, it cured me from eating anything on the cutting board.
Similar thing happened to me. Went camping with some friends and they brought their dog. There was a plastic container on the picnic table with corn-nuts. Or so I thought, until I tasted it and it was very hard dog food - not tasty and nearly broke a tooth!
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

What I debate is how old the food in the refrigerator is. Should I eat that 6 day old pizza slice for lunch? Should I throw out that strawberry that is partly moldy or cut off the moldy part?

In general I don't eat processed meats so no experiences there. Occasionally I do have a few slices on pepperoni on a pizza.

Have not had any case of food poisoning from our stuff so I must be doing something right.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #16
gone traveling

My wife loves Cheetos
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
Administrator

While staying in Australia we were buying bread at a bakery and a lady next to me was having difficulty lifting up the cover on a tray of samples of croissant pastries rippled with chocolate. I lifted the cover for her and also snagged a piece for myself and almost gagged when I popped it into my mouth. The dark rippling was not chocolate, it was vegemite.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I was in South Africa and bought some ostrich biltoug(like jerky cut the wrong way). Tasted great for 3 seconds, then the taste of rancid ostrich fat permeated the spice. Clearly something that only tourists buy.
Lived on Wildebeest for a week in the Selous. No stomach side effects, but I did smell like a Warthog by week's end.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
it was vegemite..
Vegemite and Marmite - two of the most disgusting concoctions known to mankind.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Vegemite and Marmite - two of the most disgusting concoctions known to mankind.
Ah come on! You have not seen or tasted some stuff I have seen on TV food shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
While staying in Australia we were buying bread at a bakery and a lady next to me was having difficulty lifting up the cover on a tray of samples of croissant pastries rippled with chocolate. I lifted the cover for her and also snagged a piece for myself and almost gagged when I popped it into my mouth. The dark rippling was not chocolate, it was vegemite.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite.
Ah, a strange lady gave you a vegemite sandwich?

I did not try it when in Australia, but would. Probably will not like it, but I don't think it would gag me.