Join Early Retirement Today

Terrorists don't need spies ...
Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Terrorists don't need spies ...

... since they have CNN:

Sources: U.S. power grid vulnerable to cyber attack

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Researchers who launched an experimental cyber attack caused a generator to self-destruct, alarming the government and electrical industry about what might happen if such an attack were carried out on a larger scale, CNN has learned.
-------------
Oh Oh, I hope they don't tell the terrorists how to do this.
-------------
CNN has honored a request from the Department of Homeland Security not to divulge certain details about the experiment, dubbed "Aurora," and conducted in March at the Department of Energy's Idaho lab.
-------------
That's a relief. But wait...
-------------
DHS acknowledged the experiment involved controlled hacking into a replica of a power plant's control system. Sources familiar with the test said researchers changed the operating cycle of the generator, sending it out of control.
------------
Oh, so that's how you do it.
------------
The White House was briefed on the experiment, and DHS officials said they have since been working with the electric industry to devise a way to thwart such an attack. "I can't say it [the vulnerability] has been eliminated. But I can say a lot of risk has been taken off the table," said Robert Jamison, acting undersecretary of DHS's National Protection and Programs Directorate.
-------------
You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie Robert.

Sources: U.S. power grid vulnerable to cyber attack - CNN.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, now that CNN has "outed" DHS yet again, DHS will probably get the funding they've been requesting for the last couple years.

Of course this might not have anything to do with politics or last-minute budget wrangling. Sure.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #3

This sounds like a marketing opportunity for Microsoft. They could sell an application titled Microsoft Cyber Terror Version 1.0.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
This sounds like a marketing opportunity for Microsoft. They could sell an application titled Microsoft Cyber Terror Version 1.0.
I think they read your post. They just changed the headline to the following:

"Mouse click could plunge city into darkness, experts say"

Nords: You're right, how could I have missed the end-of-the-fiscal-year scare party? Gotta do something with those end of year funds.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Nords: You're right, how could I have missed the end-of-the-fiscal-year scare party? Gotta do something with those end of year funds.
Look out, look out, the Communists North Koreans Viet Cong Russians Chinese Al Queda Taliban Iraquis Iranians Republicans Chinese again terrorists are coming!

Plus Ça Change...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

With friends like CNN and the New York Times, who needs enemies?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
... since they have CNN:

Sources: U.S. power grid vulnerable to cyber attack

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Researchers who launched an experimental cyber attack caused a generator to self-destruct, alarming the government and electrical industry about what might happen if such an attack were carried out on a larger scale, CNN has learned.
-------------
Oh Oh, I hope they don't tell the terrorists how to do this.
-------------
CNN has honored a request from the Department of Homeland Security not to divulge certain details about the experiment, dubbed "Aurora," and conducted in March at the Department of Energy's Idaho lab.
-------------
That's a relief. But wait...
-------------
DHS acknowledged the experiment involved controlled hacking into a replica of a power plant's control system. Sources familiar with the test said researchers changed the operating cycle of the generator, sending it out of control.
------------
Oh, so that's how you do it.
------------
The White House was briefed on the experiment, and DHS officials said they have since been working with the electric industry to devise a way to thwart such an attack. "I can't say it [the vulnerability] has been eliminated. But I can say a lot of risk has been taken off the table," said Robert Jamison, acting undersecretary of DHS's National Protection and Programs Directorate.
-------------
You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie Robert.

Sources: U.S. power grid vulnerable to cyber attack - CNN.com
If they do the same great job that the intel community did with the FLAWED INTEL on Iraq and the outstanding job that Old George W has done in mismanaging the Iraq War - WE HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT -

Maybe Old George W can bring back Brownie to handle this mess just like he did during and after Hurricane Katrina.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #8

It Was Only a Matter of Time

I knew it! It's WAS all George Bush's fault!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh no, here we go again - another I hate GB thread
Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Hitler.

You're welcome.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #11

Oops.

------------------------------------------------------------
US Improperly Releases Threat Details

By TED BRIDIS and EILEEN SULLIVAN
The Associated Press
Thursday, September 27, 2007; 5:45 PM

WASHINGTON -- The Homeland Security Department improperly disclosed details about a serious threat to the U.S. electrical grid to industry researchers just days after it produced a video showing simulated hackers remotely seizing control over a $1 million diesel-electric generator.
The equipment self-destructed in a cloud of smoke and flying parts.

The disclosures _ made by a Homeland Security employee without authorization from his supervisors _ occurred during private briefings in Atlanta at a trade conference in March.

washingtonpost.com
Old 09-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #12

Holy cow, this abuse is rampant.
http://psychicspy.com/mit.pdf

Next thing you know a poster on this board will divulge how a nuke sub communicates. When , how, parameters, etc. We can only pray NO. Don't.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #13

The OCTOBER Surprise a tad early? Now we have to get another one set up for NEXT October.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #14

Old 09-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #15

Terorist don't need spies.

Is it not the Dept of Homeland Security, who is suppose to protecting America? If yes, does this not fall under Old George W's duties and responsibilities?

Our power grids, our nuclear facilities, our borders, our airports, our seaports, our landmarks, etc..., etc.... are vunerable to terrorist attacks. Old George W is a shoot first ask later kind of guy so why does he not use that same way of thinking when it comes to protecting the U>S>A mainland?

I do not hate Old George W but however I do reserve the right to disagree with his insane policies on the Iraq War and on the security of the U.S.A. As the DUFUSCIDER I mean DECIDER the buck stops at his feet.

I believe that it was the GREAT Harry S. Truman that said something to the affect that "the buck stops here" (somebody please correct me if I have misquoted). In Old George W's case it seems as though his motto is "pass the buck" to the next President, so that he can get us out of the messes that he got us into.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, OUR FALLEN TROOPS, OUR VETERANS, THEIR FAMILIES, THE IRAQI PEOPLE AND THE GREAT GREAT WILLIE NELSON.