Terrorists don't need spies ...

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
... since they have CNN:

Sources: U.S. power grid vulnerable to cyber attack

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Researchers who launched an experimental cyber attack caused a generator to self-destruct, alarming the government and electrical industry about what might happen if such an attack were carried out on a larger scale, CNN has learned.
-------------
Oh Oh, I hope they don't tell the terrorists how to do this.
-------------
CNN has honored a request from the Department of Homeland Security not to divulge certain details about the experiment, dubbed "Aurora," and conducted in March at the Department of Energy's Idaho lab.
-------------
That's a relief. But wait...
-------------
DHS acknowledged the experiment involved controlled hacking into a replica of a power plant's control system. Sources familiar with the test said researchers changed the operating cycle of the generator, sending it out of control.
------------
Oh, so that's how you do it.
------------
The White House was briefed on the experiment, and DHS officials said they have since been working with the electric industry to devise a way to thwart such an attack. "I can't say it [the vulnerability] has been eliminated. But I can say a lot of risk has been taken off the table," said Robert Jamison, acting undersecretary of DHS's National Protection and Programs Directorate.
-------------
You're doing a heck of a job, [-]Brownie[/-] Robert.

Sources: U.S. power grid vulnerable to cyber attack - CNN.com

Hey, now that CNN has "outed" DHS yet again, DHS will probably get the funding they've been requesting for the last couple years.

Of course this might not have anything to do with politics or last-minute budget wrangling. Sure.

This sounds like a marketing opportunity for Microsoft. They could sell an application titled Microsoft Cyber Terror Version 1.0.

This sounds like a marketing opportunity for Microsoft. They could sell an application titled Microsoft Cyber Terror Version 1.0.

I think they read your post. They just changed the headline to the following:

"Mouse click could plunge city into darkness, experts say"

Nords: You're right, how could I have missed the end-of-the-fiscal-year scare party? Gotta do something with those end of year funds.

Nords: You're right, how could I have missed the end-of-the-fiscal-year scare party? Gotta do something with those end of year funds.
Look out, look out, the [-]Communists North Koreans Viet Cong Russians Chinese Al Queda Taliban Iraquis Iranians Republicans Chinese again[/-] terrorists are coming!

Plus Ça Change...

... since they have CNN:

Sources: U.S. power grid vulnerable to cyber attack

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Researchers who launched an experimental cyber attack caused a generator to self-destruct, alarming the government and electrical industry about what might happen if such an attack were carried out on a larger scale, CNN has learned.
-------------
Oh Oh, I hope they don't tell the terrorists how to do this.
-------------
CNN has honored a request from the Department of Homeland Security not to divulge certain details about the experiment, dubbed "Aurora," and conducted in March at the Department of Energy's Idaho lab.
-------------
That's a relief. But wait...
-------------
DHS acknowledged the experiment involved controlled hacking into a replica of a power plant's control system. Sources familiar with the test said researchers changed the operating cycle of the generator, sending it out of control.
------------
Oh, so that's how you do it.
------------
The White House was briefed on the experiment, and DHS officials said they have since been working with the electric industry to devise a way to thwart such an attack. "I can't say it [the vulnerability] has been eliminated. But I can say a lot of risk has been taken off the table," said Robert Jamison, acting undersecretary of DHS's National Protection and Programs Directorate.
-------------
You're doing a heck of a job, [-]Brownie[/-] Robert.

Sources: U.S. power grid vulnerable to cyber attack - CNN.com

If they do the same great job that the intel community did with the FLAWED INTEL on Iraq and the outstanding job that Old George W has done in mismanaging the Iraq War - WE HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT - :rolleyes::2funny::LOL:

Maybe Old George W can bring back Brownie to handle this mess just like he did during and after Hurricane Katrina.:bat:

It Was Only a Matter of Time

I knew it! It's WAS all George Bush's fault!

Oh no, here we go again - another I hate GB thread

Oops.

------------------------------------------------------------
US Improperly Releases Threat Details

By TED BRIDIS and EILEEN SULLIVAN
The Associated Press
Thursday, September 27, 2007; 5:45 PM

WASHINGTON -- The Homeland Security Department improperly disclosed details about a serious threat to the U.S. electrical grid to industry researchers just days after it produced a video showing simulated hackers remotely seizing control over a $1 million diesel-electric generator.
The equipment self-destructed in a cloud of smoke and flying parts.

The disclosures _ made by a Homeland Security employee without authorization from his supervisors _ occurred during private briefings in Atlanta at a trade conference in March.

washingtonpost.com

The OCTOBER Surprise a tad early? Now we have to get another one set up for NEXT October.

Terorist don't need spies.

Is it not the Dept of Homeland Security, who is suppose to protecting America? If yes, does this not fall under Old George W's duties and responsibilities?

Our power grids, our nuclear facilities, our borders, our airports, our seaports, our landmarks, etc..., etc.... are vunerable to terrorist attacks. Old George W is a shoot first ask later kind of guy so why does he not use that same way of thinking when it comes to protecting the U>S>A mainland?

I do not hate Old George W but however I do reserve the right to disagree with his insane policies on the Iraq War and on the security of the U.S.A. As the DUFUSCIDER I mean DECIDER the buck stops at his feet.

I believe that it was the GREAT Harry S. Truman that said something to the affect that "the buck stops here" (somebody please correct me if I have misquoted). In Old George W's case it seems as though his motto is "pass the buck" to the next President, so that he can get us out of the messes that he got us into.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, OUR FALLEN TROOPS, OUR VETERANS, THEIR FAMILIES, THE IRAQI PEOPLE AND THE GREAT GREAT WILLIE NELSON.

Back
Top Bottom