Test: What kind of business should you start? (This is a good one)

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is in the USA Today (9/28/09), and I felt it was worth posting as it's a pretty good test for those trying to figure out what type of business they might start that suits their interest.
I took it and ended up primarily as Seller/Broker and close second Communicator/Trainer. What else, since I was in sales/sales management over 30 years and did well at it? Guess I'm stuck with it now...:blush:

Anyway, here's the test:

Take our test to find the small business that's right for you - USATODAY.com

No surprise here :D

Technologist/Engineer: the person who designs, makes, sells or services all those gadgets the rest of us need but can't figure out. They, of course, are paid well, but competition is getting fiercer.
and very close behind...
Builder/Creator: excels at making things, whether it's paintings, wedding cakes, or skyscrapers. Starting out can be slow — it takes time to become established in this E-type. But long-term rewards can be great.

I came out with Technologist/Engineer and Organizer/Administrator which were about even. Both are integral to my present job.

Technologist/Engineer: the person who designs, makes, sells or services all those gadgets the rest of us need but can't figure out. They, of course, are paid well, but competition is getting fiercer.

Organizer/Administrator: keeps things running like clockwork. They excel at managing multiple tasks, details and deadlines. They don't need to be the star of the show, but without them, there is no show.

I always thought that I was well suited to my job! But honestly, I think I am better suited to retirement. I am really enjoying taking some time off right now. They didn't test for that. They should have asked questions like,

Question: "Which would you rather do?"

Answer A: Report to work at 6:00 AM sharp after wanting to KILL the alarm clock, and then work on a variety of tasks, mostly meaningless. Deal with office politics.

Answer B: Sleep in until 8:30, then enjoy a relaxing cup of coffee while listening to the news and reading the E-R Forum. Go to the gym and spend as long as you like there.

And then, they should have added a corresponding category

Retired/Bum: does what he/she wants to do, best. Tired of taking cr*p from idiots and doesn't take well to overwork and sleep deprivation. There is much competition for jobs in this field, though the pay is usually low.

Last edited:
OMG...I guess we all ended up doing what we should have been doing all along? Go figure.

OMG...I guess we all ended up doing what we should have been doing all along? Go figure.

It just means we were able to select work that fit our natural abilities. Others aren't able to do that.

-- Rita

Oh this doesn't fit at all! Investor/Owner? Me?

Obvious (and Not-So-Obvious) Business Choices for This E-Type
Real estate investor
Antique collector
Second-mortgage lender
Classic auto buyer/reseller
Home remodeler/reseller
Furniture restorer/reseller
Laundromat owner
Rental property owner
"Angel" investor in new businesses
Pawn broker
Vending machines owner
Art collector
Antique buyer/seller

I've never been a vending machine owner, pawn broker or laundromat owner, well, other than the 10 laundry machines we own in the rentals...

I answered 33 questions than discovered I had 22 more to go. Since, I was unable, in the majority of questions answered, to distinguish an appropriate response -- both being equal, I elected to quit.

Guess I'd better be satisfied with where I'm at.

I just selected what felt right at the time, since I wasn't really concentrating on the test but watching tv. Beta (and kinda tuned-out like when you're driving) is probably the correct way to take this type of test, too, as you give more honest answers. You're too awake and with-it in the Alpha state.

first: Builder/creator
a close 2nd: Technologist/Engineer

I'm creating/designing a new road right of way now (which is what I do everyday), so the test makes sense to me

I have 4 E-types with almost equal weights. The (barely) dominant one is:

Builder/Creator
: Excels at making things, whether it’s paintings, wedding cakes, or skyscrapers. Starting out can be slow — it takes time to become established in this E-type. But long-term rewards can be great.

the other three are:

Investor/Owner: good with numbers, good with money, willing to take carefully calculated risks, and has available (or is able to raise) investment funds. The risks and rewards can be great.
Organizer/Administrator: keeps things running like clockwork. They excel at managing multiple tasks, details and deadlines. They don't need to be the star of the show, but without them, there is no show.

And then, they should have added a corresponding category

Retired/Bum: does what he/she wants to do, best. Tired of taking cr*p from idiots and doesn't take well to overwork and sleep deprivation. There is much competition for jobs in this field, though the pay is usually low.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Is someone getting awfully close to official FIRE ? ;)

I have 4 E-types with almost equal weights. The (barely) dominant one is:

Builder/Creator
: Excels at making things, whether it’s paintings, wedding cakes, or skyscrapers. Starting out can be slow — it takes time to become established in this E-type. But long-term rewards can be great.

the other three are:

Investor/Owner: good with numbers, good with money, willing to take carefully calculated risks, and has available (or is able to raise) investment funds. The risks and rewards can be great.

were you copying off of my paper:confused:?? this is exactly how I ended up the top four are in the same order you listed...:rolleyes:

I came out technologist/engineer. Unfortunately, in real life I didn't have the patience to master the details so I had to be a manager :)

I hoped to get into management before my brain died, but I didn't make it.

As it is, I have forgotten more than many of my peers know today--but I did forget it. Fortunately, I am good at networking.

I came out as an Investor/Owner followed by Organizer/Administrator, not surprising. Unfortunately none of the suggested fields had much appeal to me for a second career, but it was still fun to take the test/see the results. Was lowest on Caregiver/Trainer and Entertainer/Host, also not surprising. To me the caregivers of this world are Saints...

Sorry, Orchid, am I the first one to bail? Stopped at: "Take over an existing organization or create an organization." I'm retired for sure. Test gave me the willies.

I got communications/trainer. But I still don't want to start my own business! :)

I think Sarah is on to something. They don't ask any questions that help determine whether you would be good at owning a business, or happy & satisfied as an entrepreneur.

I scored close to equal in six categories, and the other three put together are smaller than any of the six areas I had some aptitude for. But what did I score lowest in? Sales, of course! I detest selling, and always have since forty-plus years ago when I was an itty-bitty Bluebird thrust unwilling onto the mean streets (only to the best of my recollection, everyone was nice to me) to try to sell what seemed to me like an infinite quantity (but was probably no more than a dozen boxes) of Camp Fire mints.

With an attitude like that, I'll probably never make it as any kind of entrepreneur, and I might as well admit it to myself. The test would be better if it told people like me, who would rather do almost anything than try to sell a product or service to a prospective customer, that we're unlikely to succeed at business ownership.

Sorry, Orchid, am I the first one to bail? .

I answered 33 questions than discovered I had 22 more to go....
Guess I'd better be satisfied with where I'm at.
You answered 33 questions, you're a lot tougher than I am. They need an evaluation for us drop-outs. As for me I guess I'm impatient, unmotivated, uncooperative, in other words, I w*rk for myself, I'm retired.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom