Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HTown and Texas, I am curious how the cases you were in ended up.

Texas, yt seems to me that in your case if the guy kills two people and they tries to kill a 3rd, the "need killin" rule applies.

In HTowns case a robbery gone bad, I'd be on the fence about giving somebody the death penalty.

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My mother used to volunteer at the local mental hospital where there was a lady who had just given birth, put the baby in the oven as "it was not ready yet" and fried it. She had been locked up for years already when my mother met her. You would have to have some screws loose to do that. Talk about post partum depression!!!!
As for me, I have been pro capital punishment since I was about 21, so it's been some 40 years now. I wish every State would adopt the usage of 'Ole Sparky or some means like Texas does. One of the best things about Texas is you have LOTS of freedoms and few State regulations to do what you want, but if you abuse those freedoms in out! I like that way of thinking myself by a State.

Please consider adopting a rescue animal. So very many need a furr-ever home and someone to love them! And if we all spay/neuter our pets there won't be an overpopulation to put to death.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
HTown and Texas, I am curious how the cases you were in ended up...

In HTowns case a robbery gone bad, I'd be on the fence about giving somebody the death penalty.
We found the defendent guilty based on the clarity of the evidence presented to us during the guilt / innocence phase. There was no reasonable doubt on the facts: the accused was indeed the triggerman in an armed robbery-murder.

Entering into the punishment phase, however, there were twelve of us on the fence regarding the sentence. This is as it should must be, Clifp.

Both sides' lawyers proceded to introduce much additional evidence and testimony relevant to the three questions noted in my previous post. This included evidence of additional armed robberies perpetrated by the accused, including several where victims had been shot or shot at.

We deliberated for two very difficult days before answering the three questions to the satisfaction of each and every juror. The man is now on death row.

No hard feelings, folks, but this will be my last post on this thread. My experiences on this one case are unlikely to further a discussion on matching crimes and punishments. (PM me if you have other questions.)

Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote