Texas BBQ

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
After a run to San Antonio Friday, DW and I stopped for lunch in Lockhart Texas at a bbq joint that's been featured on Food Network several times and is a favorite in Texas Monthly Magazine's top bbq joints edition every year, coming in the top 5 several years in a row.

Kreuz Market (website link) was a bucket list thing for me. We had the lean brisket along with jalapeño cheese sausage. Sides were mac n cheese, cole slaw and pinto beans. A bottle of ice cold coke to wash it down. Excellent! If you're ever in that region, it's worth a side trip. Currently all the bbq buzz is about joints in Austin, specifically Franklin's bbq, but old school still rocks.

Not meant to be a thread about Texas vs Memphis vs KC vs Carolina bbq..just a shout out to good bbq which happens to be Texas style... now let's talk about chili!

(sorry about the horrible photo..certainly doesn't do it justice...I needed instructions from Walt about how to take a good pic :LOL: )

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 141
Not meant to be a thread about Texas vs Memphis vs KC vs Carolina bbq..just a shout out to good bbq which happens to be Texas style.

No argument, there's good BBQ in the big name areas and it's spreading all over. A friend's brother opened several KC style bbq places in CT. few years back. It took off and he's expanding.

We had a recent family gathering in Watkins Glen last week, not a bbq mecca. Had one meal out, pulled pork Carolina style on the menu. My sister from Austin declined, DW and I from KC declined. Cousin from W.G. ordered it. Looked and smelled very good. Kind of wish I'd tried it.

What is that nasty looking thing in the lower right corner? Looks like something from The Strain.

What is that nasty looking thing in the lower right corner? Looks like something from The Strain.

ha! jalapeño cheese sausage- it was off the chain and totally a trip to flavor town (couldn't resist)

Attachments

• Kreuz-529-e13523320777241-600x532.jpg
    Kreuz-529-e13523320777241-600x532.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 13
Looks so good. I gotta figure out some way to get a road trip to Texas back on my radar screen.

Used to live in the Austin area, so sampled the bbq all around the area, including the Lockhart, Bastrop, Elgin etc. areas. I am partial to Zimmerhanzel's in Smithville, TX. It's about 45 mins east of Austin, approx. 15 minutes east of Bastrop. I lived in Austin & Bastrop for 15 yrs, wife is from Smithville. Lot's of really great bbq around that whole area & very hard to pick a favorite...except that Zimmerhanzel's gets a slight edge, for me.

Back
Top Bottom