Join Early Retirement Today

Texas Country Reporter
Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Texas Country Reporter

I see there are many folks from the great state of Texas here. I wonder how many, whether from Texas or not, are aware of a TV show called "Texas Country Reporter" hosted by Bob Phillips?

"Since 1972 Bob Phillips has traveled the backroads and told the stories of real Texans - ordinary people doing extraordinary things."

Texas Country Reporter

This is a 30 minute show similar to "On the Road with Charles Kuralt" back in the late 60's. I used to really like seeing all the places and people Charles met. Well Bob Phillips has captured that feeling of well "ordinary people" and it is just a great show! I have Direct-TV and TCR is on RFD-TV, it's on channel 345 and airs several times a week at different hours. I catch it Friday night from 9:30 pm to 10. RFD-TV is also on Dish Network but I don't know what channel.

While most of the stories are from east Texas to the center of the state, I have only seen one that was west of that north/south center line, there is nothing in west Texas or maybe it's too far to travel, Texas is a huge state after all. But Friday night they replayed this story from far west Texas which I had seen before. Without a doubt I find this story one of the most fascinating ones I've seen. Talk about living a different life!

There are lots of TCR videos on YouTube if you want to watch some there. It's a wonderful show and Bob Phillips is like a kind ole gentleman that you'd like to personally know. You have to watch him to see what I mean.

Happy viewing!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #2

That's a great show! I started watching it after moving to Austin in 1981, and when I moved to Bossier City, LA I found it was also shown on one of the stations there. Moved up north for a year & missed it, but then when I came back to Texas in '09 to Lufkin, was happy to catch it on TV again. Bob's always going to some cool place in the state, and I almost feel like I know him. Once, he did a piece on the Bastrop State Park, which I used to live very near. I felt like I was back in Bastrop again, which I really hated to move away from. Great show. Thanks for letting me know about it being on YouTube, I'll be checking it out!
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I see there are many folks from the great state of Texas here. I wonder how many, whether from Texas or not, are aware of a TV show called "Texas Country Reporter" hosted by Bob Phillips?

"Since 1972 Bob Phillips has traveled the backroads and told the stories of real Texans - ordinary people doing extraordinary things."

Texas Country Reporter

This is a 30 minute show similar to "On the Road with Charles Kuralt" back in the late 60's. I used to really like seeing all the places and people Charles met. Well Bob Phillips has captured that feeling of well "ordinary people" and it is just a great show! I have Direct-TV and TCR is on RFD-TV, it's on channel 345 and airs several times a week at different hours. I catch it Friday night from 9:30 pm to 10. RFD-TV is also on Dish Network but I don't know what channel.

While most of the stories are from east Texas to the center of the state, I have only seen one that was west of that north/south center line, there is nothing in west Texas or maybe it's too far to travel, Texas is a huge state after all. But Friday night they replayed this story from far west Texas which I had seen before. Without a doubt I find this story one of the most fascinating ones I've seen. Talk about living a different life!

There are lots of TCR videos on YouTube if you want to watch some there. It's a wonderful show and Bob Phillips is like a kind ole gentleman that you'd like to personally know. You have to watch him to see what I mean.

Happy viewing!
Thanks! I watched it and will look for some more TCR on YouTube. It's always interesting to see how others live and this couple seem pretty happy with their choices and lifestyle. They are definitely living a low cost lifestyle. I'd find it real hard to live without electricity for starters as I like my conveniences.

I do know someone who lives without a connection to the power company. He has a diesel generator for electricity, but he has to get fuel for it and it often needs repairing. As he ages (now 80) and becomes more physically challenged this life becomes much more difficult. He is stubborn and continues to choose this lifestyle with no phone, heating with wood, and driving a very old truck that is barely held together. He can barely walk and hobbles around on a cane. Everybody makes their choices though.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #4

Yes, we've often watched it. We loved seeing parts of our state that we would never have discovered on our own.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yep. Know it well and am a big fan of the show. It's nice to be able to watch a TV show that's just a nice show to watch. It definitely a way to explore the state from the comforts of home.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Been watching Bob do TCR on Sundays for about 25 years now. It never gets old, only better. I have been to many of the places that he features on his show.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #7

Here in Houston, there was a similar show called The Eyes of Texas, which ran for nearly 30 years after starting in 1969. I've seen the TCR show a few times since Eyes went off the air. I enjoy it as well.

The Cains live out in the Big Bend country, in Brewster County. The county is 3 times the size of Delaware, with total population of about 10,000.

The closest town to the Cains is Terlingua, with fewer than 200 residents. After seeing this, I think I might choose to live outside of town, too.

Dr. Doug, the town "therapist" has a web page here:
http://www.drdougs.com/index.html
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote