Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Texas Electric Providers Question
Old 07-28-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are about to change our electric service. Contract we entered into when we moved to current house is about to expire.

There are 3 providers I am most interested in. What I am interested in, is whether any of them allow you to log on during the month and see your usage during the month. Before we moved here, we could log in online and see its days usage and estimated bill. I liked that feature. Our current provider does not offer it. I looked at the fact sheets for the providers and it didn't say if this info is offered and I couldn't find on the provider's web page.

I thought some of our Texas residents might use these providers and know if you get that kind of info available on a daily basis.

The 3 providers:

1. Reliant
2. Infuse
3. Gexa
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Here in AZ, we do not have the choice of the electric power provider. Each area is served by one utility company, and that's it. I am fortunate to have SRP (Salt River Project), which is a government-owned non-profit entity whose original mandate was to manage the watershed that serves the metropolitan area. Hydroelectric power was a byproduct of the reservoir management.

What I like to share is the Web service provided by SRP, and wonder if this is common with utility companies across the nation.

SRP smart meters report the electric consumption for each hourly interval. They need to know this for demand-rate billing. The hourly consumption data is kept for 1 year. The daily consumption data is kept for 2 additional years. I can log in to see the data of the previous day at about 3AM.

I found this data very helpful to see the effect of changing the usage habit, or equipment update. For example, I regretted keeping my old pool pump for too long because it was such an energy waster. I also can see right away the effect of changing the temperature setting of the thermostat.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have used many here in Texas and all but one had daily usage... do not remember which though...

Go to their websites and look to see if that is an option...

However, usually there was a clear winner for price and price was the winning factor in my decision..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why not call them? Reliant always seems >20% more expensive than most. Summer is a bad time to renew yearly contract - suggest you pick a 3 month contract to get you to fall. I did last month at 9.5 cents flat rate.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
Summer is a bad time to renew yearly contract - suggest you pick a 3 month contract to get you to fall. I did last month at 9.5 cents flat rate.
That is a good idea. I like that. It will also let me get a better handle on my new electricity usage.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
We are about to change our electric service. Contract we entered into when we moved to current house is about to expire.

There are 3 providers I am most interested in. What I am interested in, is whether any of them allow you to log on during the month and see your usage during the month. Before we moved here, we could log in online and see its days usage and estimated bill. I liked that feature. Our current provider does not offer it. I looked at the fact sheets for the providers and it didn't say if this info is offered and I couldn't find on the provider's web page.

I thought some of our Texas residents might use these providers and know if you get that kind of info available on a daily basis.

The 3 providers:

1. Reliant
2. Infuse
3. Gexa
Reliant gives you this info. It might be a couple of days delayed.

In fact they will even mail you a weekly summary showing a graph of your electricity use each day, overlaid with the prior week. I thought this was pretty handy.

Unfortunately, they were no longer offering us good renewal rates, so I switched to a different provider.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Unfortunately, they were no longer offering us good renewal rates, so I switched to a different provider.
Daughter is in the same boat with Reliant. The only plans they are offering for her are all averaging about $0.17/ Kwh (based on 1000 - 2000 Kw use) which is considerably higher than other providers. She is in the process of looking at other options also.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Daughter is in the same boat with Reliant. The only plans they are offering for her are all averaging about $0.17/ Kwh (based on 1000 - 2000 Kw use) which is considerably higher than other providers. She is in the process of looking at other options also.
that's why i fired reliant about 10 years ago - they wouldn't budge on rates

i ended up getting a plan that was about 10 cents a Kwh. Saved me 200-3-- a month, easy

we only have one provider here but the electricity is so cheap that no one cares
Old 07-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

One of the things that I have found is that I almost always have to change providers in order to get the best price.. IOW, they have a teaser rate and the renewal is higher.. so you go to another company's teaser... repeat...

One time I tried to renew all wind at the teaser... called them... they told me it was only for new customers and I said I was leaving if I did not get it... they basically said goodbye...

Do not get stuck with one provider... BTW, I have been with some 3 times already... as long as you are switching service you get the teaser rate...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One of the things that I have found is that I almost always have to change providers in order to get the best price.. IOW, they have a teaser rate and the renewal is higher.. so you go to another company's teaser... repeat...

One time I tried to renew all wind at the teaser... called them... they told me it was only for new customers and I said I was leaving if I did not get it... they basically said goodbye...

Do not get stuck with one provider... BTW, I have been with some 3 times already... as long as you are switching service you get the teaser rate...
Looks like we are all going to play the cable TV game with all these service companies. What a PIA this is.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have always lived in areas with only one electric provider. I never realized that some of the power companies pull the same crap as DirecTV, Spectrum, et. al.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Some years ago, there was talk of electric deregulation in Arizona. I did not follow it closely. It went away, and I forgot all about it until now. A search on the Web found that in 2004 an Appeal Court judge found some portions of the proposed plan unconstitutional. In 2013, it was considered again by the state corporation commission, and dropped again. Last year, it was brought up once more and I don't know if it goes anywhere.

Judging from posters in Texas, it sounds like it can be messy with people having to switch power providers often, like they do with cellular carriers or credit card companies.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Some years ago, there was talk of electric deregulation in Arizona. I did not follow it closely. It went away, and I forgot all about it until now. A search on the Web found that in 2004 an Appeal Court judge found some portions of the proposed plan unconstitutional. In 2013, it was considered again by the state corporation commission, and dropped again. Last year, it was brought up once more and I don't know if it goes anywhere.

Judging from posters in Texas, it sounds like it can be messy with people having to switch power providers often, like they do with cellular carriers or credit card companies.
Texas is a mess. I live 5 miles from my daughter and she has power provider choices. My town is stuck with Entergy Texas and no option to change providers.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
What I am interested in, is whether any of them allow you to log on during the month and see your usage during the month. Before we moved here, we could log in online and see its days usage and estimated bill. I liked that feature. Our current provider does not offer it. I looked at the fact sheets for the providers and it didn't say if this info is offered and I couldn't find on the provider's web page.

The 3 providers:

1. Reliant
2. Infuse
3. Gexa
I had Reliant Energy before and they have usage available on your account online. They even email you weekly with usage and comparative usage graphs. I don’t remember if usage info updated daily.

I have Constellation now. They have weekly updates but not online usage info. Their online account management is just barebones. Don’t know about other providers.
tapahelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Wowser--- the rates some of you pay. We pay about .09per KWH

This figure is all inclusion including charges set by state law, fuel cost adjustment for power purchase fluctuations, facility fees for fixed costs and extra during high demands times.

We only have one providier also--- but can't complain and have less outages than we did downstate with Consumers (Megacorp)Energy.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The rate of 9c/kWh is darn good. All in, I pay $0.1170/kWh when averaged over 12 months, on-peak as well as off-peak, and counting all fixed charges.

I wonder if the cheap electric power in Michigan is due to the hydro power off the Niagara plant.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I live in an area of TX with a single electric provider (IOW, no deregulation). I just ran the numbers for the past 12 months and my average was $0.094/kWh, including all fixed costs.

I hear a complaints from relatives living in deregulated areas of the state, who tire of the "games" electric providers play as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

According to a Web site, the highest electric rate is in Hawaii at $0.3276/kWh.

Hawaii stands head and shoulder above the rest. Next is Alaska at $0.2254c/kWh, followed closely by several states such as Massachusetts, Connecticut, California, etc... at more than $0.20c/kWh.

The majority of the states is from $0.11 to $0.15. Only Louisiana, Washington, and Arkansas are under $0.10/kWh. The above numbers are the averages for each state, and it is not known if they are inclusive of all fixed charges and taxes.

The average over all of US is $0.1319/kWh.

Data from EIA: https://www.electricchoice.com/elect...ices-by-state/.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I did some research and from what I read it is definitely better to sign a contract between November to about February or March. Basically the rates are lower then. If you sign a year's contract then each year you renew at the lower time.

We did a 14 month contract when we moved here (used a service to select provider as we were new to the area and the house) and paid 9.3 cents a kwh. But the renewal options are much higher.

I think that renewing each year in August is really sort of the worst possible time. So I plan to go either month to month or do a contract no more than 6 months. I lean to the month to month or 3 months since those put me at the optimal time to sign a contract and leave the option to still be in the window if I later sign a 14 month contract.

The new customer rates for all of these providers are usually very good. However, you have to look at it carefully. Some will give you new customer rates if you are a new customer to that provider. Others want to you actually be moving to a new residence.

I can tell it is really important to look at the Fact Sheet for plans being considered. For example, some are really inexpensive if you use exactly 2000 kwH but if you use 1900 or 2100 then it is really high. You need to do a spreadsheet and try out different alternatives.

For now I will probably end up at about $.115 a kwh which is horrible but I will switch to a lower contract plan in November or so. The best choice that doesn't have horrible service ratings looks to be TXU. I do know that they display the usage information (my mom's house had service there when she died so I dealt with that service until the house was sold). I wouldn't consider them ordinarily but for month to month I think they will be OK.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

In our case, it is the local utility, not the provider that reads the meters and reports usage that sometimes provides detailed usage data. I’m in MD and we can choose providers. The ones in TX frequently have the best rates. The local utility is clueless and changes the data formats every few months.