Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Area 2400 means you don't want to live there. Yuck!
Hey! Many of my neighbors are nice people...even though most don't have all their teeth.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I figure you have this text saved to your hard drive as filename "Welcome to Texas", so I thought you'd want to add flaming mulch piles to the list. That made a huge impression on this ol' Hawaii boy...
Nords, you might have mistaken our school playgrounds for the mulch piles - here is a story from the Dallas Morning News last week about a school in the Dallas Fort Worth area, similar to SA
"Spontaneous fire closes playgrounds
Arlington ISD: Wood chips will be replaced with gravel; heat, decomposition sparked blaze
12:00 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 14, 2007

By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News
jmosier@dallasnews.com
ARLINGTON The sudden heat wave has brought something more menacing than sunburns and higher electric bills. The latest sign of summer just might be spontaneous combustion.

Arlington schools Superintendent Mac Bernd announced Monday that he would replace all the "engineered wood fiber" material on the district's playgrounds after one burst into flames last week. A review of footage from a surveillance camera determined that no one was around to start the fire either accidentally or intentionally.

"It was like a perfect storm," Deputy Fire Marshal Keith Ebel said.

He said the fire Thursday at Anderson Elementary apparently started from heat generated by decomposition of the wood chips and high temperatures from the recent heat wave. Marshal Ebel said this might not have happened without the rainy first half of the summer followed by high heat."

We couldn't make this stuff up if we tried.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The river floods from time to time in San Antonio. Unfortunately, it runs through the center of town.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
The river floods from time to time in San Antonio. Unfortunately, it runs through the center of town.
Ed, I'm going against the grain and actually say something positive about Texas (you still don't want to live here). Truth is the city of SA has spent many millions of taxpayer dollars to construct dams and diversion tunnels channeling flood waters around and under downtown. Even with the recent torrential rains and flooding in the area, the river downtown never got anyone's feet wet.

BTW, if you've ever seen the the Riverwalk, you'll know the river is hardly more than a large creek, so the flood prevention efforts are not as massive in scale as would be required for a "real" river.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't forget the red ants - was attacked by them in 1989...bites all over and even on my eyelid, which was swollen shut for 3 days (this was 10 miles east of Dallas) - had to pull over for car trouble
Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rumor has it they moved to DC, preferring the two-legged varmits found there to the multi and no legged variety found here.
I just saw that UHaul unloading at the townhouse across the street. Problem is, DC really exhibits all of your "keep-em-outa-Texas" attributes in August
Old 08-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #27

Most of youse folks only talk about the smaller problems of Texas. Here's a bigger one:

According to LaNell Anderson, real estate agent, what I'm smelling is a combination of hydrogen sulphide and some other, unidentifiable toxic gunk. We've pulled up across from a pond on Houston's ship channel, home of the biggest refinery and chemical complex in America, owned by Exxon-Mobil. The pond is filled with benzene residues, a churning, burbling goop. Though there's a little park nearby, this is not a bucolic swimming hole. Rather, imagine your toilet backed up, loaded, churning and ripe assuming your toilet is a half-mile in circumference.

Smells Like Texas

And remember:

1) The smell(s) of cow flatulence.

2) The ADDITIONAL sucking sound as you pull your foot out of a cow pie while on a walk.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
assuming your toilet is a half-mile in circumference.
Yep. Everything is larger than life in Texas. Even our big-a$$ toilets.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Must be a combination of time and beer googles - way back when i remember going through a chunk of Texas - as i recall there were areas (not counties - parishes?) with strange liquor laws - like you couldn't buy beer except in a bar or some odd thing - remember stocking up with a six-pack and a ten # bag of ice and drinking/driving/sweating my way across a whole dam bunch of real estate. Didn't have to use any of those rest stops as the sweat pretty much kept up with the input. 65 Mustang, 6 cyl, no AC.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Must be a combination of time and beer googles - way back when i remember going through a chunk of Texas - as i recall there were areas (not counties - parishes?)...
Parishes? Sun, you musta still bin'in Loosiana, an' did'in make it tuh the Takes-us state lahn!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #31

REW, I think you're painting a too-positive view of Texas. I don't think I remember you ever mentioning big hail.

The big hail that destroys roofs, breaks glass on cars and pummels them to scrap, rips screens off of houses, breaks house windows, breaks skylights, damages about every kind of siding except brick, which it does spall off some brick sometimes. About the only thing it doesn't seem to damage is concrete, but don't worry, the expansive clay soil and a couple years drought will bust all the concrete up anyway.

Oh yeah, we can have big hail during a drought just fine! During the major hail season (April-May, but sometimes into July, and sometimes other months too) we can get thunderstorms that can build up to 70,000 feet high. 65,000 foot ones are relatively common. With those updraft heights and that power, we're talking big hail. The sound is deafening inside.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

After reading this entire thread with my spouse, we feel fortunate to have survived our Riverwalk visit without significant psychological, emotional, medical, physical, or fiscal damage.

We certainly won't be risking that again!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
After reading this entire thread with my spouse, we feel fortunate to have survived our Riverwalk visit without significant psychological, emotional, medical, physical, or fiscal damage.

We certainly won't be risking that again!
You just think there wasn't any damage--yet--because the euphoria of leaving Texas is still so overwhelming.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #34

Quote:
You just think there wasn't any damage--yet--because the euphoria of leaving Texas is still so overwhelming.
Nords, sure hope you don't come down with PTSS - Post Traumatic Texas Stress Syndrome

Old 08-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently spent some time in Texas. It was beautiful, the people were great and the food was to die for!!

Should be your first choice -- esp. if you are moving our of California :>)
Old 08-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #36

Donzo, what do you have against Californians?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nords, sure hope you don't come down with PTSS - Post Traumatic Texas Stress Syndrome
Should be "PSST". I had to leave Texas; now I'm PSST...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Most of youse folks only talk about the smaller problems of Texas. Here's a bigger one:

According to LaNell Anderson, real estate agent, what I'm smelling is a combination of hydrogen sulphide and some other, unidentifiable toxic gunk. We've pulled up across from a pond on Houston's ship channel, home of the biggest refinery and chemical complex in America, owned by Exxon-Mobil.
Among the several smaller cities along the Houston Ship Channel is Pasadena, Texas (pop 141,000 and where Urban Cowboy was filmed/set). Home of many refineries and many, many refinery workers. To combat the negative comments about the smells wafting around town on some days, one of the city's mayors once commented that, "it smells like money to me!" It was nearly an official city slogan for a while - used so much that they painted the police cars green.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Among the several smaller cities along the Houston Ship Channel is Pasadena, Texas (pop 141,000 and where Urban Cowboy was filmed/set). Home of many refineries and many, many refinery workers. To combat the negative comments about the smells wafting around town on some days, one of the city's mayors once commented that, "it smells like money to me!" ...
Anyone living near Waukeegan, IL knows all about "the smell of money". A major pharma plant has been there for over a hundred years and still runs over 40 fermenters 24/7 making antibiotics. The smell travels inland (they are locate right on Lake Mich.) for miles. I guess major breweries are much the same. Not so much today but 20 years ago it would smell much like burnt beans most of the time. I happen to enjoy making beer and the smell of my own brew is of course like a slice of heaven.

Oh, to stay on thread....I lived in Tejas for a couple of years and survived the fire ants, tarantulas, chiggers, killer mosquitoes, rocky soil that would not support shrubs or trees, rattlesnakes in the yard, muggy heat, etc. I have been back several times to different parts of the state and it is still a mystery why the US ever wanted this place from Mexico...sort of like Arizona and the LA area of Calif.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
....I lived in Tejas for a couple of years and survived the fire ants, tarantulas, chiggers, killer mosquitoes, rocky soil that would not support shrubs or trees, rattlesnakes in the yard, muggy heat, etc. I have been back several times to different parts of the state and it is still a mystery why the US ever wanted this place from Mexico...
Another satisfied customer.