Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You don't even need to bring a gun - just be sure you have a sturdy brush guard on your truck!
C'mon, now, you rascal, that's a steer.

It's the wrong color and definitely too big for a feral hog. Right?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
This is a pet Javelina Ms G was hiding a carrot from. A neighbor nursed it back to health after it injured its leg. Stayed around the ranch until a hunter killed it.
Um, her body language suggested something else.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Javelina, not a feral hog, right?

Still, based on the $600 vet bill for what one did to my old Lab, your advice is prudent.
That's definitely a javelina! And I can't imagine standing so close to one.

At the state park next door we had a crowd of way too tame javelinas. They always made me nervous - especially when they walked past with their babies!! After the flood of 2010 the tame crowd completely disappeared from the park. Apparently javelinas have returned, but at least this new crowd is rarely seen because they have the good sense to stay away from people.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
C'mon, now, you rascal, that's a steer.

It's the wrong color and definitely too big for a feral hog. Right?
Not sure what it is. The photo I found on Google said "wild pigs crash test" - but the closer I look at the photo the more it looks like a rhinoceros...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
How do they eat?
They are messy eaters - and therein lies the problem. From the Texas Parks and Wildlife website:

Quote:
Feral hogs are omnivorous, meaning they eat both plant and animal matter. They are very opportunistic feeders and much of their diet is based on seasonal availability. Foods include grasses, forbs, roots and tubers, browse, mast (acorns), fruits, bulbs and mushrooms. Animal matter includes invertebrates (insects, snails, earthworms, etc.), reptiles, amphibians, and carrion (dead animals), as well as live mammals and birds if given the opportunity. Feral hogs are especially fond of acorns and domestic agricultural crops such as corn, milo, rice, wheat, soybeans, peanuts, potatoes, watermelons and cantaloupe
Here's a photo of what a suburban yard looks like after a night of feeding. Imagine the damage they can do to a cornfield...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feral hog damage.jpg (128.0 KB, 10 views)

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They are messy eaters - and therein lies the problem. From the Texas Parks and Wildlife website:

Here's a photo of what a suburban yard looks like after a night of feeding. Imagine the damage they can do to a cornfield...
Heh, what I meant was are they good eating?

I know they can do a ton of damage quickly, much worse than deer. If I had them here I would be dispatching them with extreme prejudice. Not only would they be a threat to the kids, but the bigger dog we have is a Plott hound (bred for tracking and then attacking bears and other large game) and he would not be able to resist going after them. I've had the kind of vet bills that make me want to puke and I am in no hurry to repeat the exerience. As it is, the dogs stay on a short leash when we are in coyote/bear/mountain lion territory.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Heh, what I meant was are they good eating?
I personally don't like them at all - way too gamey for my taste, even with a lot of bbq sauce. But a lot of people apparently do like them.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #28

How does feral hog compare with wild boar? We eat boar often (frozen) and DW make a fantastic boar and barley soup.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #29

I've never eaten wild boar, so I don't know how it compares. Does wild boar have a very strong "pig" flavor...and aroma?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

In Florida, we had a renegade Burmese Python eat an alligator in the Everglades and it caused the demise of both. Pythons shoulds stayed in Burma.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I personally don't like them at all - way too gamey for my taste, even with a lot of bbq sauce. But a lot of people apparently do like them.
Well, if I can ever convince my buddy in Omaha to join me, I hope to take a trip to Texas and find out while helping with the population problem.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #32

Quote:
I've never eaten wild boar, so I don't know how it compares. Does wild boar have a very strong "pig" flavor...and aroma?
No. It is sweeter and nuttier, mild aroma. I'm already thinking I may pass on the feral hog. They have been a menace in Suth Florida where my sister lives. No hunting plans for me but if some does make it to the local market I was just wondering.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
How does feral hog compare with wild boar? We eat boar often (frozen) and DW make a fantastic boar and barley soup.
I thought feral hog was sold as wild boar.

The biggest problem with the wild hogs AFAIK is the hole digging, they can really tear up a lot of land. Something the native javelina doesn't do.

The GA hunters that patrol my Dad's farmland seem to think feral hog is good eating.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Not to worry. Texas will soon be an independent, sovereign nation.

Texas Secede!

+1
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, if I can ever convince my buddy in Omaha to join me, I hope to take a trip to Texas and find out while helping with the population problem.
Consider going to the hill country instead for axis deer. Awesome venison. It's also a pest, and being introduced can be hunted any time. The hill country is overrun with deer including exotics. Fallow deer, black buck,..
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Consider going to the hill country instead for axis deer. Awesome venison. It's also a pest, and being introduced can be hunted any time. The hill country is overrun with deer including exotics. Fallow deer, black buck,..
I had no idea. I will be hoping to get my first deer here in Colorado, which would be a native mule deer. Will file away the idea for the future.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Helicopter hog hunting in the great state of Texas.
Yikes, talk about a target-rich environment.

Quote:
We do not have them here in CO, instead opting for mountain lions, bears and rampant coyote populations.
I'm seeing a correlation between the CO predators and the scarcity of CO feral pigs...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm seeing a correlation between the CO predators and the scarcity of CO feral pigs...
Nah, it is all about the water, or lack thereof. As I understand it, you do not find feral pigs in places that are dry. Boy, do we got "dry" here.

I am pretty sure the pigs would trample or slash the coyotes into a hairy slurry. Bears and mountain lions would generally be in higher altitude harsh climates that the pigs probably would stay out of. That means no predators would really bother them (aside from Americanus automobilis) if there were enough water for them.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We do not have them here in CO, instead opting for mountain lions, bears and rampant coyote populations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Feral pigs are scarce here in the DC area too. I attribute this to the large number of politicians in the area. After all, a habitat can only support one species of feral pigs.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Feral pigs are scarce here in the DC area too. I attribute this to the large number of politicians in the area. After all, a habitat can only support one species of feral pigs.
Good point, they're learning to avoid our local politicians too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kipahulu feral pig hunters.jpg (70.0 KB, 77 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote