Texas threat alert update

They are messy eaters - and therein lies the problem. From the Texas Parks and Wildlife website:

Here's a photo of what a suburban yard looks like after a night of feeding. Imagine the damage they can do to a cornfield...

Heh, what I meant was are they good eating?

I know they can do a ton of damage quickly, much worse than deer. If I had them here I would be dispatching them with extreme prejudice. Not only would they be a threat to the kids, but the bigger dog we have is a Plott hound (bred for tracking and then attacking bears and other large game) and he would not be able to resist going after them. I've had the kind of vet bills that make me want to puke and I am in no hurry to repeat the exerience. As it is, the dogs stay on a short leash when we are in coyote/bear/mountain lion territory.

How does feral hog compare with wild boar? We eat boar often (frozen) and DW make a fantastic boar and barley soup.

In Florida, we had a renegade Burmese Python eat an alligator in the Everglades and it caused the demise of both. Pythons shoulds stayed in Burma. :facepalm:

051006_pythoneatsgator.jpg

I personally don't like them at all - way too gamey for my taste, even with a lot of bbq sauce. But a lot of people apparently do like them.

Well, if I can ever convince my buddy in Omaha to join me, I hope to take a trip to Texas and find out while helping with the population problem.

I've never eaten wild boar, so I don't know how it compares. Does wild boar have a very strong "pig" flavor...and aroma?
No. It is sweeter and nuttier, mild aroma. I'm already thinking I may pass on the feral hog. They have been a menace in Suth Florida where my sister lives. No hunting plans for me but if some does make it to the local market I was just wondering.

How does feral hog compare with wild boar? We eat boar often (frozen) and DW make a fantastic boar and barley soup.
I thought feral hog was sold as wild boar.

The biggest problem with the wild hogs AFAIK is the hole digging, they can really tear up a lot of land. Something the native javelina doesn't do.

The GA hunters that patrol my Dad's farmland seem to think feral hog is good eating.

Last edited:
Well, if I can ever convince my buddy in Omaha to join me, I hope to take a trip to Texas and find out while helping with the population problem.
Consider going to the hill country instead for axis deer. Awesome venison. It's also a pest, and being introduced can be hunted any time. The hill country is overrun with deer including exotics. Fallow deer, black buck,..

Consider going to the hill country instead for axis deer. Awesome venison. It's also a pest, and being introduced can be hunted any time. The hill country is overrun with deer including exotics. Fallow deer, black buck,..

I had no idea. I will be hoping to get my first deer here in Colorado, which would be a native mule deer. Will file away the idea for the future.

I'm seeing a correlation between the CO predators and the scarcity of CO feral pigs...

Nah, it is all about the water, or lack thereof. As I understand it, you do not find feral pigs in places that are dry. Boy, do we got "dry" here.

I am pretty sure the pigs would trample or slash the coyotes into a hairy slurry. Bears and mountain lions would generally be in higher altitude harsh climates that the pigs probably would stay out of. That means no predators would really bother them (aside from Americanus automobilis) if there were enough water for them.

We do not have them here in CO, instead opting for mountain lions, bears and rampant coyote populations.

I'm seeing a correlation between the CO predators and the scarcity of CO feral pigs...

Feral pigs are scarce here in the DC area too. I attribute this to the large number of politicians in the area. After all, a habitat can only support one species of feral pigs.

Feral pigs are scarce here in the DC area too. I attribute this to the large number of politicians in the area. After all, a habitat can only support one species of feral pigs.
Good point, they're learning to avoid our local politicians too...

Attachments

• Kipahulu feral pig hunters.jpg
    Kipahulu feral pig hunters.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 77
Love that pic! I thought they we drug smugglers at first until I saw that it was a pig draped over his shoulder :ROFLMAO: !

We would know 3 hikers were in my wash going south Tuesday. Called BP they didn't seem to care much.

Love that pic! I thought they we drug smugglers at first until I saw that it was a pig draped over his shoulder :ROFLMAO: !
Kipahulu local boyz pursuing their happiness-- with the soundtrack provided by an ukulele instead of a banjo...

I've been in Texas almost 55 years and never seen any of these creatures. Of course, I don't get out of Dallas much.

I took these pictures from our room at Chisos Mountain Lodge in Big Bend National Park, Texas. These javelinas appear to be peaceable enough, but I didn't try to pet them.:)

Attachments

• BIG BEND CX7430 2005-12-14_69.jpg
    BIG BEND CX7430 2005-12-14_69.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 3
  • BIG BEND CX7430 2005-12-14_70.jpg
    BIG BEND CX7430 2005-12-14_70.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 3
Did you spell that correctly, isn't it creeptures:LOL:

A couple of years ago after I had retired, I accepted a temporary job in downtown Dallas. My boss there advised me to get out of the downtown area before dark, which is what I did.:)

I went to work before 7:00 AM every day and some of the creeptures were still out.

Kipahulu local boyz pursuing their happiness-- with the soundtrack provided by an ukulele instead of a banjo...
The one in the middle could easily be mistaken for Mexican - the other two, not so much. I see one of them even flashed you the hang ten sign, LOL! Well that would place it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom