Join Early Retirement Today

Text Message Madness
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Text Message Madness

Incoming text message...
Quote:
Good Morning Mr. Wahoo! Hi! I'm Amy XXXX at XXXXX Buick.
I want to thank you for your feedback on the recent online survey from us.
(note: I gave them excellent ratings) You may receive a survey via e-mail from GMC soon. I'd like to encourage you to mark all answers completely satisfied and return it to GMC. Enjoy your day!
My response...
Quote:
Please do not send me messages asking for a favorable review.
Incoming message...
Quote:
I would appreciate the opportunity to be able to address your concern. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.
My response...
Quote:
My only concern is your text messaging. Stop!
Incoming message...
Quote:
Please text STOP as instructed to opt out of texting. Thank you.
Have a great day!
My response...
Quote:
STOP
Incoming message...
Quote:
You have been unsubscribed and will no longer receive messages.
For questions, call xxx-xxxx.
My response...
Quote:
Aaarrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no words. Although Aaarrrrggghhhhhhh!!!! is a good one.

- Rita
Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Incoming text message...

My response...

Incoming message...

My response...

Incoming message...

My response...

Incoming message...

My response...
Well at least it stopped?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'd have blocked them after the first message. I learned that after AT&T kept sending me monthly text messages after my bill was paid (autopay). STOP and every other attempt, including opening a case with them, failed to stop the messages, so finally I just blocked them. I use mighty text to mirror texts on my laptop since it's easier to type replies, and I still see them there, but at least my phone doesn't beep for the incoming text.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #5

I dont text, everyone who knows me, knows i wont respond to it.My Wife got a Facebook invite to a party. I dont respond to those either. I want a hard invitation sent. If its too much trouble to write out a card and put a stamp on it , than im not a valued invitee. I do get unwanted texts recently from my cable company, telling me ty for your last months payment. How thos started is news to me. I find the chirp annoying, problem got solved when the bride muted the text message alert. I think the texts drain the battery too. Oh did i mention that every text costs me 10 cents? lol its true.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I dont text, everyone who knows me, knows i wont respond to it.My Wife got a Facebook invite to a party. I dont respond to those either. I want a hard invitation sent. If its too much trouble to write out a card and put a stamp on it , than im not a valued invitee. I do get unwanted texts recently from my cable company, telling me ty for your last months payment. How thos started is news to me. I find the chirp annoying, problem got solved when the bride muted the text message alert. I think the texts drain the battery too. Oh did i mention that every text costs me 10 cents? lol its true.
If I operated this way, I would have zero social life.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I love it. I complained to ATT over my issues with billing on fb and got a text from a satisfaction manager(or some silly title). After some pleasantries he tells me "hey were ATT you know I can't actually get anything done". His solution was for me to write down the information that should be in the bill!

Then they actually sent a survey on how the guy resolved my issues!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
I pretty much sympathize with that approach, although I do, occasionally, use text to interact with some of my tenants. That said, I share a Ting account with DW and we pretty much always stay below the 100 texts a month that costs $3. We also use imessage when we text someone who has an iphone.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I still have a landline (MagicJack) and I'm very careful about giving out my cell number since I've been on the receiving end of surveys. I love the low rates I pay for service through Ting but if voice time goes over 60 minutes a month it adds a little extra to the bill. The first 100 text messages are $3 so when I get the first text in a billing cycle I grimace. (Yes, I AM cheap.) Typically I don't text people so if I don't get any incoming texts the bill is lower. For the same reason, I don't want businesses calling my mobile number with surveys.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I still have a landline (MagicJack) and I'm very careful about giving out my cell number since I've been on the receiving end of surveys. I love the low rates I pay for service through Ting but if voice time goes over 60 minutes a month it adds a little extra to the bill. The first 100 text messages are $3 so when I get the first text in a billing cycle I grimace. (Yes, I AM cheap.) Typically I don't text people so if I don't get any incoming texts the bill is lower. For the same reason, I don't want businesses calling my mobile number with surveys.
I used Ting for several years but grew tired of watching the "tiers". So now I am Republic Wireless. Unlimited talk, text and up to 1 GB of data for $20 a month (I am actually on an older refund plan, so I get refunded an amount for data that isn't used...so average about $12-15 a month).

As far as unwanted texts...you can use the "Calls Blacklist" application and set it up to block all texts (except contacts) if you like.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If I operated this way, I would have zero social life.
My dance card is sort of filled now, im looking to whittle away invites. I just remembered another "Text" incident that flew me into a rage. One of my sisters was deathly ill. I was calling everyone for updates and what hospital I needed to run to. Nothing, no callback. I was up all night phoning hospitals near her home to see where she was and if she was still alive. The next day (about 14 hours later) my brother in law picks up the phone gives me an update, and says why am i upset didnt i get the texts? Texts to where? They were texting me to my home landline. News flash my hand held home phone thats attached to the wall doesnt get texts. Know your target audience.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My dance card is sort of filled now, im looking to whittle away invites. I just remembered another "Text" incident that flew me into a rage. One of my sisters was deathly ill. I was calling everyone for updates and what hospital I needed to run to. Nothing, no callback. I was up all night phoning hospitals near her home to see where she was and if she was still alive. The next day (about 14 hours later) my brother in law picks up the phone gives me an update, and says why am i upset didnt i get the texts? Texts to where? They were texting me to my home landline. News flash my hand held home phone thats attached to the wall doesnt get texts. Know your target audience.
I am not sure if they still do it, but when you would send a text on a Sprint phone to a landline, they would do a "text to speech" message and call the number. I had inadvertently texted my MIL's home phone and they all went to her answering machine.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Same here, but it is VERY hard to explain to people (even friends and family) that we pay by the text and by the minute, so please don;t include us on group texts that go on and on and on until everyone has added their comments or approvals Most of our friends and family think we are hailing from the last century - some are too young to even know that there are cellphone plans that are not "unlimited everything"
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #14

I had to block CVS Drugs because of the robocalls about prescription renewals. Unsubscribe or whatever the word is did not work. Haven't had to block texts, probably because I never give out the cell phone number to anyone that's likely to spam me.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Wait until the no ring voices mails invade .
Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #16

My phone number was erroneously added by a teacher as her class group text. So, I get texts every other day about when home works are due, when the tests will be happening. Occasionally, the teacher is stuck in traffic, she would frantically text everyone she is 15 minutes away, 5 minutes away...

All my attempts to ask her to remove my number has failed....
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #17

In the OP's case, it appears that nobody at the dealership has authority to actually write a text, and they are only allowed to send canned messages. Sad.

Another way of looking at this stuff:
Many years ago (at least ten) I started getting emails from people who thought they were contacting a small business owner in Canada. His email address is the same as mine, with one letter different. They were usually things like contracts, progress reports from contractors, etc.

At first I tried forwarding them to him with an explanation, but they kept coming. So I contacted him directly and asked him to be sure his contacts were using his address, not mine.

His response was "Don't worry about it, just delete them. If they're that sloppy I don't want their business."

I'm still getting (and deleting) them now and then.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #18

I guess I'm an exception to most on this thread, I absolutely love texting, I hate using the phone. Texting is short, sweet and to the point.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
My phone number was erroneously added by a teacher as her class group text. So, I get texts every other day about when home works are due, when the tests will be happening. Occasionally, the teacher is stuck in traffic, she would frantically text everyone she is 15 minutes away, 5 minutes away...

All my attempts to ask her to remove my number has failed....
Again, you should be able to blacklist someone who you never want to hear from.

Or you could have some fun like this person supposedly did with someone who was spamming them with text. http://www.tickld.com/x/the-best-text-reply-ever-this-is-gold .
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Or you could have some fun like this person supposedly did with someone who was spamming them with text. http://www.tickld.com/x/the-best-text-reply-ever-this-is-gold .
Hilarious!