Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a Tracphone and too really don't use it for texting. I have sent text to mobile phones using Yahoo messenger via computer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'll have to check this out. Not sure I understand the pluses and minuses. Thanks.
RE - Google Voice: I think you need a data connection on your phone to send/rx the 'free' texts. So if you have to pay for data, not really free. But if you have a wifi capable phone, and are in a wi-fi zone, that should be free.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I understand all this stuff about texting but I hate it and don't do it. If you want to communicate with someone about something very minor, why go to all the trouble of calling, interrupt that person or most times, not even have them answer. That person probably says, "Oh, it's him again. Wonder what the hell he wants now? I won't answer and maybe he will leave a message." The result is texting. I hate all this new communication lingo and think is reduces humanity to a bunch of nothings. However, in this day and age of hustle and bustle and everything has to be done now, I guess it's a necessity. I don't have to live with it and I just carry the basic cell phone and for the most part it is used to contact my wife when necessary and that is the extent of it. People like my son, who only has a cell phone and no house phone, only calls our cell phones. Actually, the only calls we get on the house phone are sales calls. I keep telling them I'm on the do not call list but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Hey, I just had an idea about those sales calls. I'll tell them I don't have the time right now to listen to their sales pitch but if they will text me the information, I might think about their offer. That'll get 'em!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #24

Here in the Philippines there is very little calling and most people text only or mainly text. The system does not provide good quality voice calls and calls are many times more expensive than texting.

Filipinos send more texts per capita than any country on earth.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
gone traveling

One other comment on text messages; they will often go thru when voice calling is not working due to high traffic or other network disturbances. This was especially evident during 911.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Google Voice - Features

Here are some videos to explain Google Voice if you are interested. I can not say how much I love GV but most importantly I love how much personalization they offer, there are so many things that you can do with them that is almost unimaginable with a normal phone without downloading tons of different apps, many of which are unstable. Recently I have especially loved their call blocking where I can block a certain number and the person hears the standard "the number you are trying to reach has been disconnected, please check the number or try your call again" which normally will get rid of the annoying person forever.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #27

I find texting useful for coordinating a bunch of people for a meeting or get together. That is, when we are out on the street updating where we are and when we will get there.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Text messaging replaced? It figures...

According to DD#2 I officially entered the 21st Century yesterday when I changed phone providers and gained the ability to send/receive texts.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
Sorry, I laid it on a little thick, but texting isn't going away.

And I note the 'ripoff' statements above and I don't dispute that, when DW had an AT&T phone they charged her similarly. However, we have Net10 for now, and texts are 0.25 minutes with them (and presumably Tracfone and Straight Talk too). That seems fair to me, so we text vs call when we can. FWIW...
I was slow to initially adjust to texting due to the initial high cost and awkwardness of the 3 letters for each button. But now, its my preferred way of communicating. Plus, I think it's cheap. My plan is 1500 min. and 1500 outgoing texts for $30. With no land line needed anymore, my phone costs are close to 50% cheaper than it was 20 years ago
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Google Voice - Features

Here are some videos to explain Google Voice if you are interested. I can not say how much I love GV but most importantly I love how much personalization they offer, there are so many things that you can do with them that is almost unimaginable with a normal phone without downloading tons of different apps, many of which are unstable. Recently I have especially loved their call blocking where I can block a certain number and the person hears the standard "the number you are trying to reach has been disconnected, please check the number or try your call again" which normally will get rid of the annoying person forever.
Thanks for the link!

Could you toggle the call blocking feature for a land line? There is a certain annoying caller who we'd like to occasionally turn off for about a week or so. Perhaps I could just set this on our home phone land line and then toggle it occasionally? Evil I know.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

You could forward your home phone to your GV number then block that person. GV also has "do not disturb" where you can block everone except for "approved" callers at all times or during specific hours.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
You could forward your home phone to your GV number then block that person. GV also has "do not disturb" where you can block everone except for "approved" callers at all times or during specific hours.
This sounds good. I don't understand how GV would get in the middle of a landline or cell phone call from an outside caller to my home land line phone. Is this what is actually happening?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #33

I wouldn't know how to text but it's ok cuz I don't have a cell phone. The few times I used one I had to ask how to work it for a call not text. I fully understand how older folks never had a computer and saw no use for one though I see that as a major miscalculation. The phone not so much as no one calls me and I seldom call anyone. It's great out here on Neptune.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote