Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Texting while Walking - Oops
Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Texting while Walking - Oops

I'm glad she wasn't hurt, but she's hired an attorney now, you be the judge...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I think time for a new law against texting and moving. Just kidding.

Maybe from that video, areas with such hazards as a stationary fountain should post warning messages on the ground. Kidding again, but I hope that isn't something in the future.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I am sorry this woman shouldn't be allowed to walk and chew gum, and absolutely shouldn't be allowed with 100' of TV camera.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Administrator

Just a few days we met someone for lunch, and a couple of hours earlier they had texting me to confirm the time. When we met up I told them that they should be glad to know that I practiced safe text, and when the message rang in on my phone, I stopped cycling to read it and respond.

A few weeks ago we were driving home one very dark evening and passed a suicidal cyclist who was dressed in black, and the only light that was showing was from his phone which he was holding up and obviously in the process of texting.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are gonna be stupid you gotta be tough.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

This happened a while ago, I recall the video being shown on TV shows and Jay Leno making fun of her.

Not sure who I despise more, the woman or the lawyer she hired who willingly took on the "case." I hope a judge dismisses the case quickly.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
If you are gonna be stupid you gotta be tough.
...........thanks for my first laugh of the day!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I wonder what the suit was about, other than that the woman might be claiming that the release of the video caused her embarrassment.

I am not a lawyer to know if there is any precedent to the liability of releasing a surveillance video tape of a public scene. But if this woman did not step forward to claim her "5 minutes of infamy fame", nobody would know that the idiot victim was herself.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I think time for a new law against texting and moving. Just kidding.
I think that there should be such a law. I am surprised at how many people cross the streets while texting apparently oblivious to all traffic (motorized and pedestrians). There are some states that ban driving and texting. Why not texting and moving for pedestrian?
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
I wonder what the suit was about, other than that the woman might be claiming that the release of the video caused her embarrassment.

I am not a lawyer to know if there is any precedent to the liability of releasing a surveillance video tape of a public scene. But if this woman did not step forward to claim her "5 minutes of infamy fame", nobody would know that the idiot victim was herself.
I'll bet she's suing the mall for not having warning signs about the fountain and about the dangers of texting and walking, and not having barriers around the fountain, and keeping the water too cold .
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

At least the woman didn't fall off into the lake like one here:

Texting Woman Falls Off Pier Into Lake Michigan | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo! News

What happened to the good old days of guys smacking into a stop sign on their bicycles while ogling?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not just texting and walking into stuff.

When a person is preoccupied and oblivious to their surroundings, they become the perfect target to be robbed or beat up. Bad guys look for easy targets and easy pickings. You need to be aware of your surroundings if you want to survive in this society, especially in a big city. People texting and gabbing on the cell phone make good targets for these predators.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ay yay yay.

That's all I have to say on this subject.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I think that there should be such a law. I am surprised at how many people cross the streets while texting apparently oblivious to all traffic (motorized and pedestrians). There are some states that ban driving and texting. Why not texting and moving for pedestrian?
No offense intended (I realize you're trying to achieve a general good thing), but this drives me crazy. When people have an objection to anything, the first response is always "there oughta be a law!"

We have way, way too many laws already. Why don't we start with repealing the Kentucky law against carrying an ice cream cone in your back pocket?

Common sense should be required of all citizens.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Wouldn't that require a new law also?

Ha
Old 03-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha

Actually I think there is such a law, certainly in the UK.

Contributory negligence in common-law jurisdictions is defenseto a claim based on negligence, an action in tort. It applies to cases where a plaintiff/claimant has, through his own negligence, contributed to the harm he suffered. For example, a pedestrian crosses a road negligently and is hit by a driver who was driving negligently.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No offense intended (I realize you're trying to achieve a general good thing), but this drives me crazy. When people have an objection to anything, the first response is always "there oughta be a law!"

We have way, way too many laws already. Why don't we start with repealing the Kentucky law against carrying an ice cream cone in your back pocket?

I agree with this, but I have to say that when I see someone driving on the freeway and texting, it makes me think that too many people just don't have common sense, and somehow we need to be protected from them.

Yesterday I saw someone driving and talking on his iPhone and then periodically looking at the screen. Talk, look, talk, look. What do you think he was doing? Was he texting with a speech-to-text app??
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm glad she wasn't hurt, but she's hired an attorney...
Well, there's a subsequent reason why she needs an attorney ...

Fountain-Falling Texter Cathy Cruz Marrero in Court for Criminal Charges - ABC News
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I agree with the "too many laws" comment. +100

A friend of mine is an ex-cop. He used to say "we have laws against driving while this and driving while that. All we really need is one law for driving while stupid".