Join Early Retirement Today

Re: TH
Old 03-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Where'd you get the info that cholesterol doesn't matter.
Actually thats the first time I said it, Nords said it befor in his book report on the folks that actually followed people throughout their lives. One of their takeways was that cholesterol made very little difference in lifespan and health. Seems counterintuitive to me, but I already know half of everything is bullshit, and lately it seems like the other half is in danger.

I'm coming to believe that we've all got a clock, and we can change that clock a little bit, and certainly improve our health and how we feel during the course of our lives...but I really dont think popping pills, extreme diets, and magic supplements are going to do you much good in the long run. I think when these things make us feel better, its because we want to feel better.

Man, I went back and read some of my own old threads. It used to take me ten years before I noticed I was an idiot ten years ago. Now it only takes three.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
That was so sweet I just wanna hug you both.
You aint hugging nothing until I check your hands and pockets for a pair of scissors or a scalpel. And rusty knives!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Ah, our very own "Bareback Mountain" thread, just a touch too late for the Oscars...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Yeah...well...i'm not feeling THAT affectionate.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
You aint hugging nothing until I check your hands and pockets for a pair of scissors or a scalpel.* And rusty knives!
Well, I'm not hugging you as long as you have that avatar anyway.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Oh come on, I bet you'd look great in a cowboy hat and boots....

Come one everybody sing along to the most critically acclaimed song in movies today, "It's hard to be a pimp...." *:P

...what was THAT? Menace to Society meets West Side Story? "Cuz when you're a pimp, your a pimp all the waaaaaaayyy...." *
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Props to Azanon for taking the initiative and to Cute 'n Fuzzy for responding with grace.

As Homer would say, "Mmmmmmm--manly!"
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Come one everybody sing along to the most critically acclaimed song in movies today, "It's hard to be a pimp...." :P
By far the highlight event of the entire awards program. Can't wait to buy the soundtrack!

Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #29

Quote:
As far as the rest, lets just say it was more of a tiff than a squabble, and move on?
Sounds great to me! 8)

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
This thread makes me want to barf.
Come on over SG...group hug...
Old 03-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
CFB groupie
Does this make me a grouper? Sounds fishy.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
. . .PS: I'm a CFB groupie too*
That's sad. I'm sorry.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

It should be fun to append this thread in a couple of months.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cholesterol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Where'd you get the info that cholesterol doesn't matter. That's at least the second time you've said that. I had a doc tell me the opposite a couple of weeks ago. Started Zetia, just in case.
Quote:
Actually thats the first time I said it, Nords said it befor in his book report on the folks that actually followed people throughout their lives. One of their takeways was that cholesterol made very little difference in lifespan and health. Seems counterintuitive to me, but I already know half of everything is bull****, and lately it seems like the other half is in danger.

I'm coming to believe that we've all got a clock, and we can change that clock a little bit, and certainly improve our health and how we feel during the course of our lives...but I really dont think popping pills, extreme diets, and magic supplements are going to do you much good in the long run. I think when these things make us feel better, its because we want to feel better.
Hmm, Eagle, what's your doc's relationship with Zetia? "Just in case."

You can go back and read the thread, but essentially an eight-decade study of three groups of mainly WASPs has determined that cholesterol had no bearing on their successful aging. So if you're a WASP born in the 1910-20s in one of those demographics then you might care.

But otherwise I'm not sure that's a good fact when taken out of context.

C-reactive protein might be much more important than cholesterol.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Nah, that'll be debunked in a study in 20 years, right after the article "Broccolli...the silent killer" comes out.

Dont try to fool me with that 'cauliflower' **** either. Its just white broccolli. :P
Old 03-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You can go back and read the thread, but essentially an eight-decade study of three groups of mainly WASPs has determined that cholesterol had no bearing on their successful aging.* So if you're a WASP born in the 1910-20s in one of those demographics then you might care.

But otherwise I'm not sure that's a good fact when taken out of context.

C-reactive protein might be much more important than cholesterol.
"Cholesterol" is a pretty sweeping term. It's the low-density small particles that are proven to be bad stuff. High-density cholesterol is very good stuff. And the old-school total cholesterol counts didn't distinguish.

CRP is just a marker for inflamation, and the inflamation is a side-effect of LDL.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
"Cholesterol" is a pretty sweeping term.* * It's the low-density small particles that are proven to be bad stuff.* *High-density cholesterol is very good stuff.* * And the old-school total cholesterol counts didn't distinguish.

CRP is just a marker for inflamation, and the inflamation is a side-effect of LDL.
What is this cholesterol stuff? This thread is supposed to be a celebration of the new love between Azanon and CFB.

And yeah, I agree with the guy above, should be fun to revisit this in a few months.

Ha
Old 03-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

CRP = Conference Room Pilot.

Gawd, I'm starting to mix cholesterol acronyms with work crap :P
Old 03-07-2006, 07:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Ick. Had a former employee send me an email today complaining about r&r (ranking and rating, the review process) and I spent about 2 minutes thinking "r&r? This guys cranky about rest and relaxation?!?". Then he mentioned 'work weeks' (the company measurement for when things get done...as in "it'll be done in WW42". And the 165 mail messages in his inbox.

I feel behind when I've got 4 in my inbox now. I dont even know what day of the week it is. I thought it was still february up until yesterday.

:P
Old 03-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I dont even know what day of the week it is. I thought it was still february up until yesterday.

:P
Yeah, I'm like that, too. Only I still work.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote