Join Early Retirement Today

TH Page: Electric Smokers??
Old 06-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TH Page: Electric Smokers??

Hi TH. I think I remember you mentioning using an electric smoker a few months ago.
I have an old reefer model in the back yard, but I was thinking of buying a smaller, easier to handle unit.
Do you use the Luhr Jensen Big Smoker?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Haha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: TH Page: Electric Smokers??
Old 06-15-2005, 05:13 PM   #2

I have a small Brinkmann smoker (the upright type). It was the charcoal type, but I converted it to electric with their electric insert.

I do not recommend this brand. I had to make a bunch of modifications to make it work right.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've had the charcoal and electric brinkmanns. The charcoal was a pain in the butt to regulate. You cant cold smoke in these. You do have to jam a lot of tin foil into the gaps around the pan at the bottom, around the lid, and around the 'door' if you have one in the model. They're cheap. The electric one with the foil blockage cuts the mustard. I have a huge cardboard box that slips right over the top of it that I use to help trap heat and smoke inside, which is essential if its below 75-80 degrees when you're smoking. They sell an insulated blanket for the thing. Dont think so. I'll put a box over it.

The 'side box' smokers are a lot better and you can cold smoke with them, which can be nice with salmon and duck. Get a cheap charcoal one and stick a hotplate in the heater box with a cast iron pan full of your sawdust/chips in it on top so you dont have to dick with the charcoal.

If this is to be a serious hobby, I see electric 'box' smokers at costco and sams all the time for a fairly reasonable price in the 300ish range.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
essential if its below 75-80 degrees
That's exactly right. If mine wasn't in the sun or if there was a wind blowing, it just couldn't keep up.

What I did was buy one of those electric charcoal starter loops. I attached that inside, and it gives enough of a boost to make it work.

I know the cardboard wouldn't burst into flames, but I'd worry about that (I'll say it for you: "chicken").
Old 06-15-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks guys for the ideas and evaluations.

ha
Old 06-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Ok, so now that we have that nailed down, it's time to get to the important stuff.... rubs and sauce recipies... anyone know any?
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I know the cardboard wouldn't burst into flames, but I'd worry about that (I'll say it for you: "chicken").
Bwaaaak bwaaak bok bok bok...cardboard wont combust until more than 2x the average smoker temps. If your cardboard bursts into flames, you were grilling! I'd use plain brown cardboard and nothing thin wall or with color graphics pasted on.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Ok, so now that we have that nailed down, it's time to get to the important stuff.... rubs and sauce recipies... anyone know any?
Rub...four parts brown sugar, one part chili powder (preferably ground at home from select dried chilis of various origin), one part paprika, pne part garlic powder, one part salt, one part dry italian seasoning, one to two parts cumin.

Sauce. What the hell is 'sauce'?!? Oh you mean that stuff they slather on low quality meats with a lousy rub that werent smoked right? I've heard of it...

Cook a minced onion and 2 cloves of garlic minced finely, in olive oil until tender and lightly browned. Add a can of tomato paste and keep it moving in the pan until it starts to get a little color...you want to carmelize some of the sugar in the paste. Add some balsamic vinegar until the mix thins a little. Add a quarter cup of brown sugar. Add tabasco to taste for spicyness. Add a few tablespoons vinegar. Add a smoked ham hock and enough water to keep the whole mess in a liquid state and simmer for about an hour. Remove the ham hock. Simmer until its 'sauce' consistency. Run it through a fine mesh strainer.

Then throw that crap out and eat your bbq.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:03 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
You can get a very good and inexpensive rub here: http://kanakseasonings.com/

Funky name..."Kanak Attack"

REW

Old 06-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Sauce.* What the hell is 'sauce'?!?* Oh you mean that stuff they slather on low quality meats with a lousy rub that werent smoked right?* I've heard of it...
I was thinking about ribs actually Yum! I had a recipe that called for molasses, cola, red pepper, and about 12 other spices.... best sauce ever. Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore =(
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Check this older thread out for ribs that make their own sauce (more or less of a glaze actually.

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...hp?topic=760.0
Old 06-16-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Funky name..."Kanak Attack"* REW
Ahem. Not if you live in Hawaii.

Kamaka Brown's "Kanak Attack" comedy. (Warning: Google does not provide a Hawaiian pidgin:English translator.)

Kanak Attack Catering.

And, of course, the lyrics to that popular local tune "Menehune Beach Bum Boogie".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Ahem. Not if you live in Hawaii.

Kamaka Brown's "Kanak Attack" comedy. (Warning: Google does not provide a Hawaiian pidgin:English translator.)

Kanak Attack Catering.

And, of course, the lyrics to that popular local tune "Menehune Beach Bum Boogie".
Don't have a clue to the meaning of the word "kanak" in Hawaii. As it relates to the seasoning, it's the guy's last name.

REW