Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My 'real world' rarely involves endless exposure to profanity, rudeness, hostility, ad hominems, false information, agendas, xenophobia, intolerance, etc etc etc.

I like it here just fine.
If I wanted that I'd get a job!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #42
gone traveling

I've been on this forum for a few years and over those years its always been a civil and friendly place thanks to the team of mods and admins. I would even say that the level of decorum has progressed over the years, despite all the turmoil and bad behavior that we see on other forums and in the media in general.

Now I would like to know are all the mods that are now termed "Moderator Emeritus" actually retired from mod duties or are they just trying to lull us into a false sense of security
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
I'd hold the world hostage for... One Million Dollars!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd hold the world hostage for... One Million Dollars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My 'real world' rarely involves endless exposure to profanity, rudeness, hostility, ad hominems, false information, agendas, xenophobia, intolerance, etc etc etc.
For all anybody on this forum knows, each of us could embody every one of those traits and more in the "real world".

I freely admit that I, given the opportunity, could be a major supervillain. (I've got the evil laugh down: Bwa ha ha!)

But as long as we present here using our public manners you'll never learn what lowlifes we are.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When this forum was first created there was a sign over the entrance that read, "We only have one rule: don't be a jerk". From the comments on this thread it's clear the vast majority of the membership appreciate the continued enforcement of that requirement. I know I sure do.
Gresham's Law tells us that bad money forces good money out of circulation. The same is true for people who contribute to forums, IMHO.

This is one of the few forum sites where rational discussion take place on an ongoing basis. Speaking as one who has been taken out back to the woodshed a few times in the past, I appreciate the good work of the moderators.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Good thing there is some wiggle room with extreme sarcasm.

Otherwise if just sarcasm, a bunch of us would've been shown the door a long time ago .

A thumbs up! This is a great forum to visit to avoid the crazy news in the world these days.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Could it be that a good many of us are even older and more decorous than we were a few years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I would even say that the level of decorum has progressed over the years, despite all the turmoil and bad behavior that we see on other forums and in the media in general.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #47

A big +1.

This forum sets the standard for me. There are a number of others that I frequent, which I very much wish were moderated as well as this one. Somehow, the mods keep everyone and everything on track, without also purging the humor.

Fantastico!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When this forum was first created there was a sign over the entrance that read, "We only have one rule: don't be a jerk". From the comments on this thread it's clear the vast majority of the membership appreciate the continued enforcement of that requirement. I know I sure do.
"don't be a jerk"...I love it!
I have always felt welcome here and appreciate the work the moderators do, along with the all around helpfulness of the members. Folks can agree to disagree without being nasty. Its a nice place to be.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now I would like to know are all the mods that are now termed "Moderator Emeritus" actually retired from mod duties or are they just trying to lull us into a false sense of security
Yes, I'll chime in and volunteer that I'm completely retired from mod duties. I do report occasional offending posts that I think might need some attention, though! Just like any member can or might do. Just use the little triangular white and red "!" icon at the lower left of the post, to do this most effectively. That is helpful to the mod team since despite mod superpowers, no mod can read and evaluate as many posts as we have on this forum IMO.

But I no longer go "behind the scenes" and actually do work as a moderator. Ten years of that was enough and I don't want to devote that much time to it any more, although I admit it was fun and every member of the mod team was great to work with. Good people, good times.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Could it be that a good many of us are even older and more decorous than we were a few years ago?
Probably one of the more positive aspects of aging, although some are known to get a little more cranky and disagreeable.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Probably one of the more positive aspects of aging, although some are known to get a little more cranky and disagreeable.
You don't know what the hell you are talking about!
Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
A big +1.

This forum sets the standard for me. There are a number of others that I frequent, which I very much wish were moderated as well as this one. Somehow, the mods keep everyone and everything on track, without also purging the humor.

Fantastico!
It's a welcome relief, for sure. The internet is full of well...we all know and if you spent more than 10 minutes a day in the "depths" of it, you could become clinically depressed. Several years ago, I frequented City Data but haven't been on there in a long time. Well, I took a quick visit yesterday just to "see what's going on" and wow...it's absolutely terrible. I don't think there is ANY moderation on there. So, thanks to everyone here for making it a truly interesting place on the interweb.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

The only un-moderated "forum" I take part in, is the Washington Post comments section. And only on non-political stories.
I actually have a little "following" by fellow commenters on some of the softer features, where the commenters are mostly civil, often funny, and chase trolls away quickly.
I absolutely cannot take the vicious political stuff, which tries to insert itself even into the most anodyne stories of rescued pets, etc.
My other Internet activity is on a couple of well-moderated hobby sites, where we mostly tell each other how wonderful their work is :-)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...Now I would like to know are all the mods that are now termed "Moderator Emeritus" actually retired from mod duties or are they just trying to lull us into a false sense of security
Yes- to the first part. Retired from mod duties. I enjoyed working with the mod team - great group of people.

As to lulling members into a false sense of security - I don't think so - the current mod team doing a fine job on its own.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna152 View Post
In other words, the forum isn’t allowed to reflect reality, and that is considered a good thing?
Reality? My idea of offensive might not equal yours and visa versa. That's all I am saying
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We create our own reality here, thank you very much! We don’t have to be like everyone else. What’s the point of that?!?

I make sure my personal life is free of most of the nasty crap too. If this forum weren’t reasonably civil I wouldn’t be here either.
+1 my wife and I are continually evaluating our social contacts. We have had some real experiences since ER
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Good thing there is some wiggle room with extreme sarcasm.

A thumbs up! This is a great forum to visit to avoid the crazy news in the world these days.
DW claims I am sarcastic a lot of the time: Guilty.

I do not follow any other social media streams with any regularity. I do occasionally look at DW's Facebook page.

This place is Sooo far better than anything I have seen.

The Mods do a great job, and I think the posters follow that lead. We may, occasionally, get out of line, but I think most here try to follow the basic premise of civility.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I would have agreed with the OP 100% just a few days ago, but an old time poster on here took it too far recently, but not far enough for the mods, so in that case we still have the power of the block option which I had to use for the first time.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

"In other words, the forum isn’t allowed to reflect reality, and that is considered a good thing?"

I have always had trouble with reality, myself.🥴
Old 07-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

What I like about this forum is that it is centered around a topic that forum members people are encouraging each other to achieve and maintain, regardless of differences in backgrounds or beliefs.