Join Early Retirement Today

Thank you, Melinda
Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you, Melinda

Just wanted to mention the great job being done by Bill and Melinda Gates. Thank you, on behalf of all the women and children you help.

Melinda Gates' $4.3 Billion Prayer For Contraception Crosses Politics And Religion - Forbes

Note : this post is not about politics or religion.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Administrator

Perhaps a snippet to let readers know what it is about.

Quote:
On Wednesday evening in London, philanthropist and Power Woman Melinda Gates pledged her support for providing access to contraception for 120 million women who want, but cannot find, reliable access to contraceptives in the developing world.

./.

The Gates Foundation will contribute $560 million to a planned $4.3 billion effort led by the British government and officials from African nations to fight high rates of unplanned pregnancy which result in extremely high mortality rates for both mothers and children along with a host of other social and health crises.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I read recently about some developing opposition to the Gates' "tactics," arguing that they are much too controlling and demand the involvement of many allegedly bad players like big pharma (was that on a thread here somewhere?). In any event, on digging a bit it seems they are insisting on approaches that leverage other deep pockets players. In other words, they don't want to just give away their $25B to NGOs or governments but want to seed others who will expand on what they are doing and want to foster approaches they believe in. Seems pretty sensible to me.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I read recently about some developing opposition to the Gates' "tactics," arguing that they are much too controlling and demand the involvement of many allegedly bad players like big pharma (was that on a thread here somewhere?). In any event, on digging a bit it seems they are insisting on approaches that leverage other deep pockets players. In other words, they don't want to just give away their $25B to NGOs or governments but want to seed others who will expand on what they are doing and want to foster approaches they believe in. Seems pretty sensible to me.
Likewise, I'm a fan of Paul Polak's methods of fighting poverty by using business principles. Ever since I read that Adventure Capitalism book by hedge funder Jim Rogers, I've given a cold eye to how NGO's work in many places. The Gates Foundation wants to make sure that their stated goals are actually met, instead of a "feel good" big show.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Likewise, I'm a fan of Paul Polak's methods of fighting poverty by using business principles. Ever since I read that Adventure Capitalism book by hedge funder Jim Rogers, I've given a cold eye to how NGO's work in many places. The Gates Foundation wants to make sure that their stated goals are actually met, instead of a "feel good" big show.
And I had heard some reports that the Gates Foundation work in fighting AIDS was actually counter-productive in terms of overall benefit. I have no doubt that Bill & Melinda are sincere in their efforts, but there can be unintended or unconsidered consequences.

IIRC (this was an old podcast, Science Friday, I think), people were claiming that all the attention on AIDS and the big infusion of $$$ drew away from other important programs. They (and they all seemed to have good credentials) mentioned that clean drinking water was one of the biggest issues facing many. But if there were $$$ flowing in to treat AIDS, that is where the workers and efforts went. They said it wasn't uncommon that people were given their cocktail of pills to take, but they had no clean water to take them with.

I can't say just how big an issue that was, it's obviously very complex. And hopefully, this latest effort does not create similar conflicts. My point is, a poignant headline and good intentions don't always translate to good results. I'm a results oriented guy, and I hope this passes muster.

I guess another question I have - I know that poor countries have high birth rates, but isn't this by 'choice' (or maybe better to say a product of their poor circumstances)? But as I understand it, they feel they need to have many children to hopefully have enough live to support them. That may be the wrong approach, but it would be their choice, right? So are they going to choose to use contraceptives? I don't know - just throwing it out there. This might be a case of targeting the symptom, rather than the disease (and sometimes, that's all you can do)?

If someone threw $100B of charity at me to manage, and told me to use it wisely, and there would be critics out there monitoring - well, I realize it's a tough thing. Seems like it would be easy, but it's not. You can always second guess if that was the best use of the money, or what the side effects were. Who knows?

Separately from all that, I do have a little 'sour grapes' over the name of those foundations the Gates created. They had an illegal monopoly, their anti-competitive practices probably set the computing industry back many years by crushing competitors that might have brought us superior products. Much of their fortune was gained illegally. Instead of the "Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation", I think the foundation name should be "Everyone Who Spent Money on Microsoft Products Foundation". [/mini-rant]

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
In any event, on digging a bit it seems they are insisting on approaches that leverage other deep pockets players. In other words, they don't want to just give away their $25B to NGOs or governments but want to seed others who will expand on what they are doing and want to foster approaches they believe in. Seems pretty sensible to me.
They've leveraged the heck out of Buffett's pockets.

Rockefeller was the first philanthropist to routinely use matching grants, but the Gates Foundation has elevated it to an art form. I'm always impressed when I see Melinda on Charlie Rose.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote