Join Early Retirement Today

Thanks Jarhead
Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #1

Thanks Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I have much less tolerance for computer illiterate callers.* When the user's saying "I don't know how to copy a file, can you walk me through it?"* in my head I'm screaming "You stupid nincompoop, you can't even spend an hour or two to learn how to use your computer, only 3 more months and then I never have to talk to someone like you again!"

Hey Beaver Guy:* You're not in San Francisco anymore.* *

As a matter of fact, you're in the Red-Neck, and Marijuana Capitol of the Country.

Just keep your fantasy to yourself, because if you tried that "Weak ****" to the folks that live in my area, you'd be so busy adjusting your attitude, you'd have little time for anything else.

Just got back from fly-fishing on a beautiful day, and what a pleasure it is to run-head long into a post from a self-rightous "Nerd".

With your attitude, the best you can hope for is that the "locals" will tolerate you.

Love, Jarhead
To get this straight, because I thought, and didn't even say out loud, that a windows user should spend some time to learn basic tasks such as copying a file, you decided to personally attack me, telling me I'm a "self-rightous (sic) Nerd who would be unable to make friends anywhere but San Francisco."

All I can figure is that you're sensitive about your own computer skills, and still sore about someone who made you look stupid in algebra class.

But in any case it only takes a few posters like you to ruin a good forum.* Here's why:

With responses like yours around, people are less likely to post goofy, over-the-top or exaggerated messages (like the one I posted).* They're less likely to talk about something personal,* less likely to ask for help, and less likely to even post at all.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Thanks Jarhead
Old 05-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not to change the subject, but why are you posting as guest TromboneAL? Re: Jarhead, he's mean to me too, so * shrug *, i wouldn't take it personally.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Al, please don't leave.* You are entertaining.* You are helpful.* I just plain like you.*

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, I think he's made a few pointless snide remarks about me, too... :
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TromboneAl,

This would be an appropriate time for you to lead by example and show "more tolerance."
Old 05-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #6

Nobody can post as guest. T-Al has apparently deleted his account which leaves his existing posts as if they were posted by a guest. (I thought we had it so people couldn't do that anymore.)

I hate to see that happen. There are lots of people on this board; lots of independent people with strong opinions. Everyone get's P'O'ed at someone sooner or later. Over-refereeing things wouldn't help...even if it did we moderators would be deleting our own accounts and stomping off in frustration, too.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It is easy to forget that the other posters are in fact real people having real reactions to what is posted. *We are not having discussions with 14 year old girls in Missoula. *

Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #8

Those were FBI agents.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
With responses like yours around, people are less likely to post goofy, over-the-top or exaggerated messages (like the one I posted). They're less likely to talk about something personal, less likely to ask for help, and less likely to even post at all.
Probably, I think it would be huge loss if T-Al left. He has added a lot of good info. I guess it begs the question if there is some retired pricks that need a message board to take out their frustrations, why not go back to work with the other asshats?

Old 05-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
...why not go back to work with the other asshats?
Asshats... that is AWESOME. I'm totally going to steal that and use it.

And don't go anywhere Al.* Be strong.* Damn the man! Yous good people.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hmm. Looks like an overreaction by t-al to his customer, and an overreaction by jarhead to al's over reaction. I've seen a lot worse and nobody felt like they had to leave. It also sucks to see people pile on jarhead. He's as atypically mean on rare occasions as any other retired marine I've known.

Its too bad Al reacted the way he did, and it'd be nice if he didnt leave. It'd be swell if we were all nice to each other all the time. And to our soon to be ex-customers.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #12

If you are mad at someone, why not just PM the individual and tell him/her , you don't appreciate their comments??

Why drag it out into the open, and why leave because someone wrote something you did not like

Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #13

When I first read T-Als post I thought "do I know how to copy a file?" But then I realized (or interpreted it as such) that he was describing how antsy you get when you only have 3 month left and you are having to deal with the same mundane questions from people who should have taken a few minutes to figure something out on their own before calling for help. Anyway, I hope he comes back!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
* It'd be swell if we were all nice to each other all the time.* And to our soon to be ex-customers.
To be fair, Al is nice to the customer, if you read the thread. He was just illustrating what was going on in his head as he winds up his work.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
All I can figure is that you're sensitive about your own computer skills, and still sore about someone who made you look stupid in algebra class.
Al, I think you got the sensitive part right, but Jarhead is no dummy.* * He's a smart guy, and he's your elder.* *And he's my elder.* *Hell, he's just about everybody's elder.*

Here's the thing about elders: when PC's went mainstream about 20 years ago, these elders had about 50 years of experience doing things without PCs.

You've got great PC chops.* *It's almost second nature to you, right?* * How do you think you'll feel when somebody hands you your first nanotech quantum-computing device in about 10 years?* * Will you happily forget everything you've learned and rewire yourself?
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Comeback, T-Al...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #17

Quote:
How do you think you'll feel when somebody hands you your first nanotech quantum-computing device in about 10 years? Will you happily forget everything you've learned and rewire yourself?
The expectations where I work are "keep up" or move out of the way. The sort of new things to us are GIS (well its a few years old now), GPS units (fancy trimble units), there's always some new software. Anyway, they dont care how old you are here; you either learn the new stuff or you'll quickly become outdated and inferior to the other folks who do know how.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I also hope Al will stay.

But much of this thread is a colossal overreaction to a gentle poke from someone who probably sometimes wonders if some posters (not Al) have ever poked their heads out of the cubicle and looked around.

The most amazing crap gets put out here, daily, with no objections from anyone. It can become a bit frustrating (at least it sometimes does to me).

I could paraphrase the informal posting rule as this: Stay on the right side of PC in all its manifestations, and you will be OK.

Both these posters have real personalities which is why this board gets multiples of the traffic of the other retirement boards. The so called retirement facts, which are really only untried opinions are straightforward enough to be picked in a few weeks. The reason people don’t just take off after they got the facts is that is often interesting to stay around- because of personalities who in some cases possibly show aspects of themselves than they don’t even show to hubby or wife, and certainly not to the next door neighbor.

And please lay off the "Well Jarhead is older". Older bullshit! Mainly what he is is wise enough to feel that someone who sold presumably for a good hunk of change a company that requires a few months of ongoing support a few minutes a day, maybe twice a day should look into Xanax if it becomes too bothersome. To me, it seems a small infraction to comment thusly.

And, I don't know how long Al has been up there- but part of what Jarhead may have been doing is trying to send a mild heads-up for him to tread lightly, 'cause rural people are not always sweet to their betters.

Ha

Old 05-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Well all I can say it's a shame that this happened. I have enjoyed reading posts by both of them. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
The expectations where I work are "keep up" or move out of the way.
I fully expect to ignore quantum computing, and I hope it'll go away. I don't need the uncertainty.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote