Thanks to Everyone...

I love this forum too! Y'all are such an entertaining, informative bunch!

Somehow an inflatable bunny 'friend' just doesn't seem the same ....

So right. I remember how kind CFB was when my cat was so ill. Many others here were too. I'll never forget that. Great bunch of folks here. Cheers, purrs and headbumps to all.

So right. I remember how kind CFB was when my cat was so ill. Many others here were too. I'll never forget that. Great bunch of folks here. Cheers, purrs and headbumps to all.

I think our support and caring for one another is genuine, and it is very nice to give and get. Thanks to everyone from me too.

Ha

Thank you Martha, FinanceDude, Want2Retire, REWahoo, TromboneAl, Rich in Tampa, Rambler, NW-Bound, tangomonster, ESRBob, Gumby, ziggy29, ERD50 and many others for your provocative, thoughtful, smart and/or humorous posts here this year. I have learned a lot and laughed here – and that’s what will keep me coming back. To those I may often disagree with, I value those exchanges just as much if not more, and regret if I have offended anyone. We grow by honestly considering other POV’s --- not by talking only to like-minded folks. And I don’t discount that I may come around to another POV one day.

While this is primarily an Early Retirement Forum, what makes it special IMO is that it’s participants offer so much more than that. So a sincere thanks and Merry Christmas to all of you…and stealing from Hallmark:

“This year may the hands that touch the earth be a little gentler

And the hearts that care for it a little wiser.”

Wow, thanks!! :D

This place feels like home; and it contains all the elements of a classic Southern gothic family, including the crazy uncle--though there are a lot of candidates for that role! ;)
Thanks for the wonderful friendships born here; my world is enriched by this forum a great deal!
Happy holidays to all!

This place feels like home; and it contains all the elements of a classic Southern gothic family, including the crazy uncle--though there are a lot of candidates for that role! ;)
Thanks for the wonderful friendships born here; my world is enriched by this forum a great deal!
Happy holidays to all!

I wish MY uncles were as "cool" as unclemick......heh heh heh........:D

As small thanks to all, here is a postcard pic of our little town's square dressed for Xmas:
nightsnowdiam4.jpg

This place feels like home; and it contains all the elements of a classic Southern gothic family, including the crazy uncle;)
Can I be the eccentric Aunt acquired through a brief but stormy marriage to the crazy Uncle, who was 20 years his junior, but still attends family functions even though everyone just rolls their eyes at her behind her head ? Please please PLEASE ? ;)

I would like to wish Happy Holidays to all and drive safely wherever you live and wherever you go.
Please tell someone you know that you love them today. :D

Can I be the eccentric Aunt acquired through a brief but stormy marriage to the crazy Uncle, who was 20 years his junior, but still attends family functions even though everyone just rolls their eyes at her behind her head ? Please please PLEASE :confused: ;)
Not my call, but would it help any if I told you I was rolling my eyes as I read this? ;)

As REW is one of the crazy uncle contenders in my family photo of the ER forum, he has some nerve shunning you, even if you did chase him out of the house at the culmination of your stormy marriage with a weedeater! :cool:

...hey, it's my story...fortunately, freebird doesn't actually catch REW with the weedeater, but the neighbors still talk about it!

As REW is one of the crazy uncle contenders in my family photo of the ER forum, he has some nerve shunning you, even if you did chase him out of the house at the culmination of your stormy marriage with a weedeater! :cool:

...hey, it's my story...fortunately, freebird doesn't actually catch REW with the weedeater, but the neighbors still talk about it!

And a great story it is! I like the idea of the ER family being compared to a classic Southern gothic novel. We need a handsome drifter to come into town and cause a stir among the ladies;)

And a great story it is! I like the idea of the ER family being compared to a classic Southern gothic novel. We need a handsome drifter to come into town and cause a stir among the ladies;)
Wouldn't be me. I'm a shorter, stockier and somewhat younger version of Captain Stubing from the Love Boat.

Ooooh, ER Southern gothic on the love boat! Woo Hoo! Climb aboard! :D

Goonie!
we gals always have a weakness for those strong, silent, accordian playing lobster worshipping types. ;)

Goonie!
we gals always have a weakness for those strong, silent, accordian playing lobster worshipping types. ;)

Wow! What flattery! However, I think you must have me mistaken for someone else.....as I'm really only strong when I haven't taken a bath for several [-]weeks[/-] days, and silent only when & if I shut my trap. Unclemick's gonna be disappointed that you thunk that was an accordian playing lobster! That ain't no stinkin' accordian playing lobster...that's a crawdaddy playin' a squeezebox!!!

But, hey....I can still fill the role I guess. I mean I am tall, dark, and exceptionally handsome (and extremely humble!!!)....and since this is the internet, you know for a fact that that's exactly what I look like....right?! :D

I don't have a picture of me handy, so just for reference, I look just like the guy in this photo:

Attachments

• Arnold & Danny.JPG
    Arnold & Danny.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
Wow! What flattery! However, I think you must have me mistaken for someone else.....as I'm really only strong when I haven't taken a bath for several [-]weeks[/-] days, and silent only when & if I shut my trap. Unclemick's gonna be disappointed that you thunk that was an accordian playing lobster! That ain't no stinkin' accordian playing lobster...that's a crawdaddy playin' a squeezebox!!!

But, hey....I can still fill the role I guess. I mean I am tall, dark, and exceptionally handsome (and extremely humble!!!)....and since this is the internet, you know for a fact that that's exactly what I look like....right?! :D
crawdaddy, lobster, whatsa difference? they both got red shells when ya cook 'em up, right? <I'm gonna cook for that one> ;)
hey, TD&H, you forgot the rippling bicep muscles and 6 pack abs. :cool:
sheesh, I gotta show youse guyz all the tricks to make the girlz swoon. :rolleyes:
Sarah will be passing out scripts shortly.
In the meantime, practice flexing your...um....um...um... >:D

BTW - that's me sitting on Santa's lap to your left. Me and the jolly guy are good buds. ;)

If you'll allow me to interupt the hijack and get back to the OP, I wish everyone a lovely holiday...a warm heart...and a roaring bull market in '09!

So glad I found this forum!!

Now, back off the tracks and into the weeds.....:D:rolleyes:

So, let's see, since we're careening off into the weeds...here are the parts awaiting nominations:
Crazy Aunt(s)
Crazy Uncle(s)
Delicate and fragile belle
Rough and tumble sister to fragile belle
Not quite crazy spinster great aunt
Random cousins on furlough from prison
Nice church going folks
Drunk brother-in-law to offend above
Preacher-man coming by the house to save some souls, showing up right in the middle of the poker game

oh...wait...we're actually in my family now...not the southern gothic novel...my bad.
And haven't even gotten to the handsome stranger, Ha! Might need some help here.

Y'all are terrific.

I enjoy the thread on "what did you do today...."

The threads on family issues and how different people deal with them.

We're not the only ones dealing with elderly relatives and those issues.

I've even learned some things about finances and retirement.

Enjoy next year.

Sorry I'm late to this thread but I was busy killing fire ants in the backyard.

Happy Holidays to all and to a healthy and prosperous new year.

So, let's see, since we're careening off into the weeds...here are the parts awaiting nominations:
Crazy Aunt(s)
Crazy Uncle(s)
Delicate and fragile belle
Rough and tumble sister to fragile belle
Not quite crazy spinster great aunt
Random cousins on furlough from prison
Nice church going folks
Drunk brother-in-law to offend above
Preacher-man coming by the house to save some souls, showing up right in the middle of the poker game

oh...wait...we're actually in my family now...not the southern gothic novel...my bad.
And haven't even gotten to the handsome stranger, Ha! Might need some help here.
put me down for Crazy Aunt Weedwacker from up north. :D

don't forget the...
- smooth talking and lecherous next door neighbor who runs the bank, a nephew maybe
- virginal paralegal with the secret night life, who works for the town lawyer, a niece maybe
- "Delta Dawn" character, wandering around town still waiting for her man to run off with, 20 years later, a sister maybe

For some reason the 'group hug' picture reminded me of this old TV commercial, which Coca Cola presumably licensed from the New Seekers:

According to wikipedia, I may have presumed incorrectly:

Their 1971 hit single "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing", adapted from an advertising jingle for Coca-Cola, appeared 81st on the list of the UK's best-selling singles issued in 2002. It sold just under one million copies in the United Kingdom alone. The version used in the Coca-Cola television commercials was credited to The Hillside Singers, as many people of various backgrounds and cultures sang the song, holding Coca-Cola bottles on a hillside in the commercial. In the United States, both the New Seekers' and Hillside Singers' versions were hits, but the New Seekers reached the top 10 with it (#7 on the Billboard Hot 100) and earned a Gold Record while the Hillside Singers peaked at #13. "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" was so firmly connected with the Coca-Cola product that it eventually became known as "The Coke Song". The song was relaunched in Coca-Cola commercials in 2005. British band Oasis took the melody for the recording Shakermaker; they were sued, and handed over $500,000.

The New Seekers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, whatever. It's still a nice tune. :)

Back
Top Bottom