Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

The food is pretty traditional - turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, pumpkin or pecan pie etc...- except for the pickled red cabbage (DW's grandmother used to make it every year, and we have perpetuated the tradition). We tried to tweak the menu over the years, but always come back to what everyone likes best which is the traditional fare.

But it's the presentation that reflects our various heritages. German linen tablecloths and china (inherited from DW's family), French silverware, tablesetting and wines, etc...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Has anyone heard of Christmas Salad?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has anyone heard of Christmas Salad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
So what about it? Any foods on your table that might be considered unusual this holiday that you historically have made each Thanksgiving?
And how did this food become a tradition with your family?
I've been invited for Thanksgiving dinner at a dear friend's house. She mentioned that she'd love to serve a salad that her mother (who passed away many years ago) used to make called "Christmas Salad" due to the color of the cauliflower, red cabbage and green pepper that were the main ingredients.

She looked all over but can't find the recipe. I tried some online searching and came up empty-handed. So, if anyone here might know the recipe and post it, I'd love to surprise my friend with it.

BTW, this family was from the Western Pennsylvania/Eastern Ohio area, if that is any help. Her Mom was probably born in the very early 1900's.

TIA,

omni

Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I was growing up, we had a traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner with all the normal fixins - except my Mom always threw in lefse and/or krumkake (both yummy), especially at Christmas, I guess as a nod to our family heritage. They always threatened me with lutefisk which sounded just awful to me, but fortunately they didn't like it either and spared me the experience. I'm sure some of you will know these ethnic dishes...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I didn't like lutefisk either as a kid - but one Grandmother would bring out her home made Elderberry wine - she made both regular and fizzy in capped bottles(in contrast to sparkling wine bottles with wired corks).

Even with a buzz - nothing could make lutefisk appealing to me. Now smoked smelt on rye crackers as an appetizer?

heh heh heh -
Old 11-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm drooling already.... Baking a from-scratch carrot cake tomorrow for dessert. Tried carrot cake at every "best" restaurant I've ever eaten ate in the last 20 years, and my handed-down recipe is the best. Can't wait for Thanksgiving..
My mom used to make the best carrot cakes. She hasn't made one in years. But she will be 92 this Friday so I guess she gets a pass. She does make a mean squash dressing for Thanksgiving. My nephew serves the same recipe in his restaurant and when he doesn't have it on the menu, he always gets request for it. I'm getting hungry too.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We're going completely traditional this year.
It's just us two lovebirds, so we're doing the classic turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin pie.

I'm still in DW training classes. dh2b will take over the turkey prep and timing, so I'll graciously play dumb.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #28
gone traveling

Bacon. Another Thanksgiving treat to to be thankful for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey bacon.jpg (7.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 11-25-2009, 12:46 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm still in DW training classes.
Say it isn't so...........you're going to whip out the old trusty HP calculator and tell him in precise language how many nanoseconds the turkey needs to be cooked, what temperature the mashed potatoes need to be served at, etc.

What, no Greek delicacies for Thanksgiving? Make him a good baclava or something!

I would take a good authentic Greek gyro over any turkey.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Lime-avocado jello.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Say it isn't so...........you're going to whip out the old trusty HP calculator and tell him in precise language how many nanoseconds the turkey needs to be cooked, what temperature the mashed potatoes need to be served at, etc.

What, no Greek delicacies for Thanksgiving? Make him a good baclava or something!

I would take a good authentic Greek gyro over any turkey.......
So predictable...

dh2b sez baklava is too sweet. But he can tear up a homemade pastitsio. We are hosting some new friends to dinner here at the house between Turkey Day and Xmas, so I will be doing some marinated lamb and spanakatiropita for them by special request. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What time is that dinner, freebird5825? I love, love, love lamb and spanakotiropita.
You can keep the pastitsio, tho.
So many of these family favorites you folks have mentioned I've never heard of or tasted. Boy, how I'd like to, so I volunteer to be your families "official taster" before dinner....yummmmmmmm.

I did go to a Norwegian festival in Minnesota this summer, and have had lefsa and some of their other foods. I learned really quickly that Norwegians love their sweets for sure.

I'm curious as to what most families serve for drinks at this holiday We are just drinking Welch's Sparkling Grape juice that I bought at a grocery store (the stuff they sell at the holidays only). Mom's 91 and doesn't drink at all. I drink hardly at all. My son is p.o.'d, tho...ha!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My friend makes rutabegas each Thanksgiving, which I have never heard of anyone eating at Thanksgiving let alone willingly (but maybe that's just me.)
Count me among those who love rutabagas with the Thanksgiving meal. I think they're delicious! But maybe I just have weird tase. I also like Brussels sprouts.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
I also like Brussels sprouts.

Me, too. Sauteed in butter with red pepper flakes. But DW hates Brussels sprouts -can't even stand the smell of them cooking
Old 11-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We have some friends who are big into entertaining. They are having the dinner on Friday night so no one has to go into work hungover on Friday. They will have a choice of turkey or prime rib.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #36
Administrator

We often have a potluck thanksgiving with friends. We plan a basic menu and then take turns bringing various parts of the meal. Turkey is stiputaled, but starters, sides, dessert and an interesting menu item called 'other' usually makes it interesting.

This year I'm on the hook for wine (and cleaning the house cause it's held at ours....). DH pulled 'other' this year and is making some kind of spinach gruyere thing that shows promise.

One memorable year the "turkey' turned out to be lobster. Another year someone brought some revolting macaroni salad from the local mini market. They were punished for this egregious lapse in judgment by having to do the dishes.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
I also like Brussels sprouts.
This turned out to be quite delicious:

Brussels Sprouts with Black Bean Garlic Sauce
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What time is that dinner, freebird5825? I love, love, love lamb and spanakotiropita.
You can keep the pastitsio, tho.
Approximately 3 days after I marinate the lamb in olive oil from Mykonos (summer trip souvenier), my own homegrown garlic and a little oregano. I intend to cut up the lamb in medium size chunks, marinate it, then roast it nice and slow. I have found roasting a half leg of lamb to be too finicky on the timing.
I'll make the spanakotiropita by hand, using real butter, that day.
New friends just asked for Baklava too. Piece of cake.

They will be doing the dishes, for sure.

And I'll give your share of pastitsio to dh2b. He tears it right up.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

How about some mini tips/tricks along with your special foods?

Mine is using black coffee along with milk in the turkey gravy. Both color and flavor are enhanced.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

About the strangest my side gets is lasagna. We used to make it a lot for thanksgiving. Sometimes get pizza too.

But DW's side - whole nother story. Lots of Thai/Laotian/Cambodian cuisines. Rice, pickled meats, rice, innards, rice, "fermented" fish, bamboo, rice, asian deserts, rice, pho, etc. We're hosting thanksgiving this year so we expect roughly 30+ people from both sides of our family (we're all local). There's gonna be a bunch of different types of food.