Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We always use the potato water in the gravy. Maybe it's a Midwest thing, but it makes the gravy fantastic.

When I lived in Texas, I was surprised to find many families there always served cole slaw and potato salad with their turkeys. Now that's something few Yankees would ever do or, at least, I never heard anyone up North serving that.
But I do know a family that always makes lasagna with their Thanksgiving turkey.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 AM   #42

We normally go the traditional turkey route, but this year we veered off that course and are going down the bunny trail instead! I picked up a couple of rabbits at the Norwegian store just north of here. So we're gonna have Flopsy & Mopsy braised in the Dutch oven! Everything else will be the traditional fare though.

One of the recipes that I came across had a footnote that referenced a certain cookbook and author, and stated that this particular recipe for rabbit was the same as the one he had given for cat!

Old 11-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
...Flopsy & Mopsy braised in the Dutch oven!...
... particular recipe for rabbit was the same as the one he had given for cat!
Not Sylvester too!

At least it's not Baaaaaaambiiiiiiiii

Old 11-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
At least it's not Baaaaaaambiiiiiiiii

Nope,not Bambi...this time! Although we did have Bambi or it's relative a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving. We always give our neighbors some of the abundance of our garden's produce, and in return we receive meat....mostly venison in one form or another. That year we had a nice venison roast!
Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

This just in:
1936 Thanksgiving Camel Ad: Smoke After Each Course! - The Consumerist
Still time to run out for anything missing from your table.....
Old 11-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

How did the CFBs taste, Goonie? I've had them in the past, and recall they tasted a little "gamey."

DW made a great low-carb pumpkin pie with pecan crust and Splenda. Perhaps the best pumpkin pie I've tasted.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

The grocery delivery service substituted graham cracker pie crust for pie filling. I know tapioca is used as a thickener but I like it as pudding. Made a double batch of pudding, skimping on the sugar and turned it into a pie; was a bit odd but a light choice after the heavy meal. Could become a tradition.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
How did the CFBs taste, Goonie? I've had them in the past, and recall they tasted a little "gamey."
They were excellent! These bunnies were 'wild caught' and not domestic or farm raised, so I was a little worried about gaminess, but there wasn't even a hint of it! I had my neighbor cut the rabbit into pieces (like you would a chicken...with 4 legs), then we put them in a bag with flour and shook it around to lightly coat them, and sprinkled them with salt & pepper. Then into a skillet to brown them up, next it was into a Dutch oven...a little more salt & pepper, along with about 4 cloves of garlic, and about 10-12 oz. of chicken broth. Put the cover on, slid it into the oven at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes....and then onto a serving platter. We used the liquid in the bottom of the Dutch oven (broth, drippings, and what not) to make a nice gravy too.

As for the taste....it tasted pretty much like a cross between chicken and pork roast, and the texture was almost identical to that of a pork roast.

I'm really glad we invited Flopsy & Mopsy to our home for dinner!
Old 11-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This turned out to be quite delicious:

Brussels Sprouts with Black Bean Garlic Sauce

Sounds good - I'll have to try that, if I can find the black bean sauce.

I especially like them roasted with olive oil, garlic and walnuts.

Westernskies - the red pepper flakes sound like a good complement too. - Thanks!
Old 11-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
Sounds good - I'll have to try that, if I can find the black bean sauce.
I bought mine at Safeway... quite some time ago. Apparently, it can be stored in the frefrigerator indefinitely.

Lee Kum Kee Homepage

No-Cookie-User-Content

No-Cookie-User-Content
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
One of the recipes that I came across had a footnote that referenced a certain cookbook and author, and stated that this particular recipe for rabbit was the same as the one he had given for cat!
Quote:
As for the taste....it tasted pretty much like a cross between chicken and pork roast, and the texture was almost identical to that of a pork roast.
Oh, so it DOES taste like cat. That would explain the recipe re-use.

(I kid, I kid. Although after repeatedly catching one of the cats trying for turkey yesterday, the thought did cross my mind... )
Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope,not Bambi...this time! Although we did have Bambi or it's relative a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving. We always give our neighbors some of the abundance of our garden's produce, and in return we receive meat....mostly venison in one form or another. That year we had a nice venison roast!

Actually, I know hunting is necessary for deer population control and some folks seem to enjoy it.
Hunting is especially critical in my neck of the woods because there are few natural predators. I have uncut woods areas right scross the street and behind my house. The winter cold and food shortage keeps the herds under control more than hunting, as told to me by local hunters.
I've tried venison, in chili, stew and the tenderest cut (name?) marinated and grilled. I really don't like the taste. The psychological thing is also a factor.
So you are very welcome to have my share.