Thanksgiving Dinner: Any "unusual" foods at your table?

We're going completely traditional this year.
It's just us two lovebirds, so we're doing the classic turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin pie.

I'm still in DW training classes. :cool: dh2b will take over the turkey prep and timing, so I'll graciously play dumb.

smiley-eatdrink023.gif

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! :greetings10:

Bacon. Another Thanksgiving treat to to be thankful for.:D

Attachments

• turkey bacon.jpg
    turkey bacon.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 71
I'm still in DW training classes. :cool:

Say it isn't so...........you're going to whip out the old trusty HP calculator and tell him in precise language how many nanoseconds the turkey needs to be cooked, what temperature the mashed potatoes need to be served at, etc.

What, no Greek delicacies for Thanksgiving? Make him a good baclava or something! ;)

I would take a good authentic Greek gyro over any turkey.......:D

Say it isn't so...........you're going to whip out the old trusty HP calculator and tell him in precise language how many nanoseconds the turkey needs to be cooked, what temperature the mashed potatoes need to be served at, etc.

What, no Greek delicacies for Thanksgiving? Make him a good baclava or something! ;)

I would take a good authentic Greek gyro over any turkey.......:D

So predictable...:ROFLMAO:

dh2b sez baklava is too sweet. But he can tear up a homemade pastitsio. We are hosting some new friends to dinner here at the house between Turkey Day and Xmas, so I will be doing some marinated lamb and spanakatiropita for them by special request. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :cool:

What time is that dinner, freebird5825? I love, love, love lamb and spanakotiropita.
You can keep the pastitsio, tho.
So many of these family favorites you folks have mentioned I've never heard of or tasted. Boy, how I'd like to, so I volunteer to be your families "official taster" before dinner....yummmmmmmm.

I did go to a Norwegian festival in Minnesota this summer, and have had lefsa and some of their other foods. I learned really quickly that Norwegians love their sweets for sure.

I'm curious as to what most families serve for drinks at this holiday:confused: We are just drinking Welch's Sparkling Grape juice that I bought at a grocery store (the stuff they sell at the holidays only). Mom's 91 and doesn't drink at all. I drink hardly at all. My son is p.o.'d, tho...ha!

My friend makes rutabegas each Thanksgiving, which I have never heard of anyone eating at Thanksgiving let alone willingly (but maybe that's just me.:blush:)

Count me among those who love rutabagas with the Thanksgiving meal. I think they're delicious! But maybe I just have weird tase. I also like Brussels sprouts.

We have some friends who are big into entertaining. They are having the dinner on Friday night so no one has to go into work hungover on Friday. They will have a choice of turkey or prime rib.

We often have a potluck thanksgiving with friends. We plan a basic menu and then take turns bringing various parts of the meal. Turkey is stiputaled, but starters, sides, dessert and an interesting menu item called 'other' usually makes it interesting.

This year I'm on the hook for wine (and cleaning the house cause it's held at ours....). DH pulled 'other' this year and is making some kind of spinach gruyere thing that shows promise.

One memorable year the "turkey' turned out to be lobster. Another year someone brought some revolting macaroni salad from the local mini market. They were punished for this egregious lapse in judgment by having to do the dishes.

What time is that dinner, freebird5825? I love, love, love lamb and spanakotiropita.
You can keep the pastitsio, tho.
Approximately 3 days after I marinate the lamb in olive oil from Mykonos (summer trip souvenier), my own homegrown garlic and a little oregano. I intend to cut up the lamb in medium size chunks, marinate it, then roast it nice and slow. I have found roasting a half leg of lamb to be too finicky on the timing.
I'll make the spanakotiropita by hand, using real butter, that day.
New friends just asked for Baklava too. Piece of cake. :D

They will be doing the dishes, for sure. :LOL:

And I'll give your share of pastitsio to dh2b. He tears it right up.

How about some mini tips/tricks along with your special foods?

Mine is using black coffee along with milk in the turkey gravy. Both color and flavor are enhanced.

About the strangest my side gets is lasagna. We used to make it a lot for thanksgiving. Sometimes get pizza too.

But DW's side - whole nother story. Lots of Thai/Laotian/Cambodian cuisines. Rice, pickled meats, rice, innards, rice, "fermented" fish, bamboo, rice, asian deserts, rice, pho, etc. We're hosting thanksgiving this year so we expect roughly 30+ people from both sides of our family (we're all local). There's gonna be a bunch of different types of food.

We always use the potato water in the gravy. Maybe it's a Midwest thing, but it makes the gravy fantastic.

When I lived in Texas, I was surprised to find many families there always served cole slaw and potato salad with their turkeys. Now that's something few Yankees would ever do or, at least, I never heard anyone up North serving that.
But I do know a family that always makes lasagna with their Thanksgiving turkey.

We normally go the traditional turkey route, but this year we veered off that course and are going down the bunny trail instead! I picked up a couple of rabbits at the Norwegian store just north of here. So we're gonna have Flopsy & Mopsy braised in the Dutch oven! Everything else will be the traditional fare though. :)

One of the recipes that I came across had a footnote that referenced a certain cookbook and author, and stated that this particular recipe for rabbit was the same as the one he had given for cat! :sick:

At least it's not Baaaaaaambiiiiiiiii

;)

Nope,not Bambi...this time! Although we did have Bambi or it's relative a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving. We always give our neighbors some of the abundance of our garden's produce, and in return we receive meat....mostly venison in one form or another. That year we had a nice venison roast!
xmas-smiley-006.gif

How did the CFBs taste, Goonie? I've had them in the past, and recall they tasted a little "gamey."

DW made a great low-carb pumpkin pie with pecan crust and Splenda. Perhaps the best pumpkin pie I've tasted.

The grocery delivery service substituted graham cracker pie crust for pie filling. I know tapioca is used as a thickener but I like it as pudding. Made a double batch of pudding, skimping on the sugar and turned it into a pie; was a bit odd but a light choice after the heavy meal. Could become a tradition.

How did the CFBs taste, Goonie? I've had them in the past, and recall they tasted a little "gamey."

They were excellent! These bunnies were 'wild caught' and not domestic or farm raised, so I was a little worried about gaminess, but there wasn't even a hint of it! I had my neighbor cut the rabbit into pieces (like you would a chicken...with 4 legs), then we put them in a bag with flour and shook it around to lightly coat them, and sprinkled them with salt & pepper. Then into a skillet to brown them up, next it was into a Dutch oven...a little more salt & pepper, along with about 4 cloves of garlic, and about 10-12 oz. of chicken broth. Put the cover on, slid it into the oven at 350° for 1 hour 15 minutes....and then onto a serving platter. We used the liquid in the bottom of the Dutch oven (broth, drippings, and what not) to make a nice gravy too.

As for the taste....it tasted pretty much like a cross between chicken and pork roast, and the texture was almost identical to that of a pork roast.

I'm really glad we invited Flopsy & Mopsy to our home for dinner! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom