Join Early Retirement Today

Thanksgiving Favorites!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanksgiving Favorites!

Please share your favorite Thanksgiving recipes!

The below are my two items I am requested to contribute every year.
I'm also looking for a great pie dough recipe... they are both relatively easy - just a lot of ingredients and lots of chopping.

from SOUP OF THE EVENING...BEAUTIFUL SOUP
Harvest Soup

This soup is a beautiful autumn color, with the sweet sun-ripened flavor of a summer harvest...which in fact, it is. It was contributed by Don Schonnop, a father of four who says "I like to help in the kitchen with our family, and soups happen to be one of my favorites. Especially on the cold and wet months." This recipe, served hot, makes a rich and satisfying lunch for 4-6 people, especially with half a sandwich on the side.
Garnish: minced cilantro or parsley
Bring the stock to a boil in a large soup pot, then add all the chopped vegetables. Return to a boil, add salt and pepper to taste, then reduce heat and simmer until tender--about 25 minutes. Puree, solids first, then return to pot, bring to a simmer, and season with curry. Stir in cream. When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle the minced herbs on top.

+++++

Savory Spinach and Artichoke Stuffing Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2004
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 pounds spinach, washed (3 cups cooked and roughly chopped)
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 tablespoon roughly chopped garlic
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Emeril's Italian Essence, or other Italian seasoning blend
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3 (8 1/2-ounce) cans quartered artichoke hearts, any tough outer leaves removed
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons lemon juice
12 to 14 cups cubed (1-inch) day-old French bread (1 loaf)
1 pound Brie, rind removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water. Once cool, squeeze as much water from spinach as possible, then roughly chop, and reserve.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, 2 teaspoons of Italian Essence, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the artichokes and cook, stirring, another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and reserve.
Combine the eggs, cream, chicken stock, lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon Italian Essence, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the bread, spinach, artichoke mixture, brie, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and parsley and stir to combine. If bread does not absorb all of liquid immediately then let rest until this happens, about 20 minutes. Pour the bread pudding mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over the top and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake until firm in the center and golden brown, about 1 hour. Serve warm.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!