• no cooking here - we're going to a restaurant

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • will be home alone or with the same family as any other day

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • this will be a get together with extended family, friends, other guests

Votes: 32 33.0%

• Total voters

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I’m curious about people’s Thanksgiving plans. We are having a group of family and friends over for a turkey feast with an abundance of deliciously well prepared food and a large variety of fermented, brewed and distilled beverages. And desserts. About half the group will spend the night.

hello MichaelB. This is my plan : Dominick's - Holiday Dinners

Easy and painless.

I’m curious about people’s Thanksgiving plans. We are having a group of family and friends over for a turkey feast with an abundance of deliciously well prepared food and a large variety of fermented, brewed and distilled beverages. And desserts. About half the group will spend the night.

We are having a full Thanksgiving meal for lunch on my side of the family (about 25 people), and then having another full Thanksgiving meal for dinner on DW's side of the family (about 10 people). I am still in negotiations with DW regarding her handling all the driving (about 60 miles round trip total) so that I can partake of these fermented, brewed and distilled libations you mentioned.

I'm headed east to join my "new family". :D

I offered to help cook, but was gently refused. So I will be half of the cleanup crew, the 2nd offer that was readily accepted. :flowers:

We are heading to Philadelphia to meet with my daughter , son in law & grandson to do some sightseeing . I am not sure where we will eat but I am sure we 'll figure it out . We have been doing this halfway thing for a few years usually we go to Washington,DC but this year we opted for Philadelphia. My younger sister lives there so maybe we'll be spending Thanksgiving in a Convent .

This year we will have a small, casual gathering at home for Thanksgiving. Ham with the usual fixins and some alcoholic beverages to keep warm. A few good Netflix movies and some Wii games for entertainment. That's about it.

Regular meal.

If the neighbors have T'day dinner at their house they'll bring over a plate of their traditional turkey plus dinner.

We're visiting the in laws. They don't really eat turkey, so we're doing traditional turkey and fixings the day after on our own. Can't complain, nothing like having chinese style duck, chicken, some seafood dishes and a ham for Thanksgiving.

Going home to Mom's. We don't have to do a thing except eat and watch football. BIL will carve the turkey.

I’m curious about people’s Thanksgiving plans.
We're enjoying our first empty-nester Thanksgiving!

The menu has been the subject of some debate. We normally eat Costco pizza & frozen yogurts every Friday, but we're not goin' near that place on Black Friday. So perhaps we should do pizza on Thanksgiving, but I'll have to make sure we order before they close.

Or we could just go out for Thai food.

I suppose I could cook a turkey, but we still have leftover turkey in the freezer from August...

Turkey meatballs. More expensive than a whole turkey or ground turkey, but only have to buy one or two pounds and cooking and cleanup is near zero. Along with green bean casserole (which is just microwaved green beans), squash, potatoes, stuffing and pie. Don't expect any company, but you're all invited

Voted traditional turkey meal because it's the same thing I had last year

Going out for Thanksgiving at a fancy-shmancy hotel here in the DC area. Our extended Vietnamese family is joining us. Should be fun. They're really cool people and their English is just so-so making the entire experience even more interesting. Of course I should emphasize they speak English much better than DH and I speak Vietnamese.

Traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings and 17 family members at the MIL's in New Jersey. The young wife is the principal chef; her sisters assist with side dishes. My job is to buy the wine, keep my nephews amused and out of the way before dinner, and wash dishes afterwards.

We will be joining Frank's extended family + friends down at the family's fishing camp in St. Bernard parish, about 45 minutes south of New Orleans. Probably about 30 people. Most will be there all weekend, but we will probably leave after dinner.

Last edited:
About 12 at our house with 3 new additions- nephew's new bride, niece's new baby, and SIL's new puppy.

Dw handles does a conventional turkey and fixings, since my MIL didn't consider my deep fried turkeys as part of a true traditional thanksgiving

I am driving to my 93-year-old aunt's on the other side of Pittsburgh Thanksgiving morning. We are roasting a capon and will have a sweet potato casserole, a green salad and sorbet for dessert. Oh, and martinis as starters. This aunt first turned me on to the pleasures of the occasional martini when I was visiting her years ago with my young son (husband was in Saudi Arabia at the time, in the Army). Auntie mixes them and they are lethal! I plan to stay overnight, drive home on Friday.

Our canyon is having a potluck for 50+ folks. We are a fairly isolated community, where neighbors are our extended family. Me and Ms Grasshopper are vegans at home, but make exceptions for eating with friends. Living in the middle of cattle country, makes going to others for dinner a challenge.

We accepted the invitation to go to DW's nephew's wife's parent's place. Done that before and have a good time.

I make the mashed potatoes from scratch and bring that in a giant Tupperware bowl.

BIL will visit, I will be the chef, I usually don't eat or drink much at Thanksgiving.........

If it was up to me, I would like to just eat out on Thanksgiving. I've had enough turkey and dressing in almost 60 years to last me the rest of my life. BUT, my daughter, even if she is a vegetarian, loves Thanksgiving for all the side dishes that are usually prepared. When my husband was with us, we would take turns at the brother's houses, but we aren't doing that any longer. So, this year, I've invited my daughter and her Brazilian boyfriend and possibly the boyfriend's brother. More TURKEY....:blush:

We are heading to Philadelphia to meet with my daughter , son in law & grandson to do some sightseeing . I am not sure where we will eat but I am sure we 'll figure it out.
Don't be a "turkey" :cool:...

May I recommend:

Pat's King of Steaks

They are not open on turkey day, but stop by before/after - if you are in the area.

(Yeah, I'm from the "hood" :LOL: - about 50 miles away, however)...

Don't be a "turkey" :cool:...

May I recommend:

Pat's King of Steaks

They are not open on turkey day, but stop by before/after - if you are in the area.

(Yeah, I'm from the "hood" :LOL: - about 50 miles away, however)...

I will definitely be having a cheese steak when I am there . I grew up in Pa. so I know that guilty pleasure .

Ever since the first time I deep-fried a turkey (something I learned while visiting friends in Houston), DW has vetoed any suggestion of doing anything else.

Prior to learning about this technique, I used to smoke the turkey (yeah, I know, hard to keep lit and all that), usually over mesquite but sometimes hickory or apple wood. IMHO, smoking is just about as good as deep frying, but takes a lot longer (like all day).

Since I enjoy doing a 10-K (101st Annual Thanksgiving Day Race 2010 Cincinnati, Ohio) on Thanksgiving morning, it means I had to get up really early to start the smoker. Deep frying is much easier.

No big deal on the trimmings. DW makes her awesome pumpkin pie, and we have some sweet potatoes and veggies. Normally, a few friends will drop in to either eat or visit later.

I brew my own libations for the most part, but I typically break out something special (often Trappist) for special dinners.

Back
Top Bottom