Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Whatever my sister is having...
Whatever my nephew brings. He owns a bbq restaurant and will be bringing all kinds of good stuff. Smoked turkey, bbq ribs, dressing, potato salad, etc etc...
My mouth is watering as type this. We actually might be going to his house this year near Mobile, AL. Him and his wife have a new house and baby so a good time to show it all off to the family. Plus we can leave when ever were ready.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Before going low carb, Thanksgiving and Christmas were the only days I allowed myself to eat mixed nuts and eggnog. That would be the first thing I ate when I woke up. Now I can eat those any day, so they are not quite as special.

My eggnog recipe:

6 oz of heavy whipping cream.
1 tsp DaVinci sugar-free eggnog syrup.

Priceless.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Before going low carb, Thanksgiving and Christmas were the only days I allowed myself to eat mixed nuts and eggnog. That would be the first thing I ate when I woke up. Now I can eat those any day, so they are not quite as special.

My eggnog recipe:

6 oz of heavy whipping cream.
1 tsp DaVinci sugar-free eggnog syrup.

Priceless.
Sounds good. Can you buy this syrup in local markets, or is it mainly mail order?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In the 70s there was a British serial comedy named The Fall and Rise of J. Reginald Perrin." It was great, and most models of how not to be a good Holiday dinner guest were very well shown. I make it my bible.
Brilliant serial. Leonard Rossiter also played a similar character in several series of Rising Damp. A penny pinching, bah humbug, landlord that would fit in well on this site. Great memories.

This year we'll be traveling to Austin for Thanksgiving week. DD has moved to Seattle while SIL continues working in Austin until they sell the house. I'll be eating whatever DD and DW conjure up and I'm really looking forward to it. DW and DS also have birthdays that week so lots of partying is in order.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can you buy this syrup in local markets, or is it mainly mail order?
They have it at our local restaurant supply store ("Cash and carry"). Very hard to find, otherwise. I used to order it through netrition.com.

DaVinci has a number of very good sugar-free flavors (sweetened with sucralose). Favorites are chocolate, coconut, and almond. You can also thicken these with xantham gum (1 tsp/3 cups).
Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Al. I'll look for it.

Ha
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks Al. I'll look for it.

Ha
DaVinci syrups are carried here by Marshalls. Someone told me that TJ Maxx also carries them. So, perhaps you will see some there. My grocery store carries them but only the most common flavors (in the coffee creamer section of the store). The egg nog flavor isn't very common but I think I saw it once or twice at Marshall's.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We are headed to Savannah on Sunday so we'll be pigging out on Southern specialties on Thanksgiving .
Old 11-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #29

Due to conflicts with inlaws' Thanksgiving, ours is Friday at 5:30 pm. I told DW this is a major problem because the Blackhawks play at 3 and the game won't be over by dinnertime. I ordered a fresh turkey, and brewed a nice autumn ale for a great turkey pairing. DW is getting the rest of the menu together - whatever that is.

I just hope I don't have to rinse the turkey in the lake like I did the Thanksgiving when we had a power outage. Scared the guests.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I and our children had Thanksgiving with her parents or my parents and other family members (we alternated) as long as they were able to prepare it. Our parents (and aunts and uncles) are all gone now.

Since then DW has always prepared a major Thanksgiving feast for our adult children and whoever else may show up. One year I thought I would give her a break and took her out to a fancy restaurant for Thanksgiving. She was depressed all day and said she would never do that again.

My job is to carve the turkey. I totally disassemble the warm bird. I make two platters. A people platter and a dog platter. The dogs get as much as the people. No bones, of course.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife and I always prepare a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for whatever family decides to come (it's down to about 6-8 folks now....used to be more, before several moved too far away). The menu includes charcoal-grilled turkey (after brining for 48 hours), garlic mashed potatoes w/ giblet gravy, baked winter squash with butter/real maple syrup, cranberry/orange/walnut chutney, pan-roasted green beans with slivered almonds, traditional bread stuffing. For dessert, we have traditional pumpkin pie and an apple/pear/cranberry/walnut tarte tatin (with real whipped cream).

I'm getting hungry just thinking about this meal, yum. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year.

RAE
Old 11-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #32

This year is going to be fun. Well, they all are, but we're especially looking forward to this one. DW's nephew & his wife are struggling juggling two jobs, they work 10-12 hour days, two kids ages 2 and 6, upside down on their house, would like to move to a better school district, etc.

A while back nephew mentioned that he'd like to scrape together enough to buy his wife a camera for Christmas since theirs quit and they can't afford a replacement. Not having a camera with kids that age is not a good thing. So we got them a nice entry-level DSLR with two kit lenses that should be good for many years, a legit copy of Photoshop Elements 8, and a couple of books on the software. His and her parents are also making a contribution for the camera. All this in a huge box to be presented at Thanksgiving dinner in little town in southern PA as an early Christmas present. Hopefully neither one has an inkling this is happening.

We're bringing the mashed potatoes (made from scratch, of course) with at least one entire stick of butter since calories consumed on Thanksgiving don't count.

As usual, DW will spend so much time yakking she won't have time to eat much and will then complain on the way home that she's hungry. As usual, I will have absolutely no sympathy for her since as usual there will be more than enough food.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I plan to rouse myself very early on T-giving Day and drive through Pittsburgh to get out to my 95 year-old aunt's in time to put a capon in the oven for luncheon at 1:00. She hates turkey, and is getting this bird early next week from a farmer she knows. We will have sweet potatoes, green beans, wild rice salad (her specialty) and whatever her friends (two ladies who are superb bakers) bring for dessert. I am bringing a couple of bottles of Prosecco, myself and my dog. I will drive home on Friday afternoon unless Auntie me for anything else.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #34

I don't know what it's going to be like. It will be the first year since 1975 that I will be able to spend it with family.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
My wife and I always prepare a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for whatever family decides to come (it's down to about 6-8 folks now....used to be more, before several moved too far away). The menu includes charcoal-grilled turkey (after brining for 48 hours), garlic mashed potatoes w/ giblet gravy, baked winter squash with butter/real maple syrup, cranberry/orange/walnut chutney, pan-roasted green beans with slivered almonds, traditional bread stuffing. For dessert, we have traditional pumpkin pie and an apple/pear/cranberry/walnut tarte tatin (with real whipped cream).

I'm getting hungry just thinking about this meal, yum. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year.

RAE
+1 but fewer people. It seems that every year when we have turkey at Thanksgiving that I find it really, really good and wonder why we don't have it more often (other than it is hard to find small birds at a reasonable price).
Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #36

Being single and having no family in the US I will be spending Thanksgiving riding my bike, having a long shower and then drinking a few beers. I'll probably make a pumpkin pie as my nod to American tradition. My friends often say it's sad for me to spend Thanksgiving on my own, but the whole holiday is just a long weekend for me, it just doesn't have the same resonance as it does for people born in the USA.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Being single and having no family in the US I will be spending Thanksgiving riding my bike, having a long shower and then drinking a few beers. I'll probably make a pumpkin pie as my nod to American tradition. My friends often say it's sad for me to spend Thanksgiving on my own, but the whole holiday is just a long weekend for me, it just doesn't have the same resonance as it does for people born in the USA.
This reminds me of the time I was on business in the USA with my boss from the UK. While chatting with the waitress she asked where we were from and then how long we had been here.

My boss: "I arrived Sunday and am leaving Wednesday".

Waitress: "You must be very important to come all this way for 3 days"

My boss: "America shuts down on Thursday".

Waitress: "Of course, you are going home for Thanksgiving".

My boss: "We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in England"

Waitress: "You don't?"

My boss: "We have nothing to be thankful about"
Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This reminds me of the time I was on business in the USA with my boss from the UK. While chatting with the waitress she asked where we were from and then how long we had been here.

My boss: "I arrived Sunday and am leaving Wednesday".

Waitress: "You must be very important to come all this way for 3 days"

My boss: "America shuts down on Thursday".

Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I'm the "centrally located sister" I host Thanksgiving and Easter every year. I'll be making the turkey, potatoes and cranberries and everyone coming brings something else. The group ranges in age from 2 months to 80+ yrs. Since we all get along really well it's always a hoot. And there are always at least 3 people in the kitchen at any given time washing, drying and putting dishes away. (they know my kitchen almost as well as I do) Now I just have to figure out how many people are actually going to make it this yr so I know how much seating I need.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
...a whole beef tenderloin on the grill with game sausages, roasted potatoes, green beans and some pies for dessert.
That's sounds much like our Christmas dinner menu this year. My grilled tenderloin with an herb-garlic coating is simple to make and is popular with the family and guests.

Thanksgiving will be a repeat performance of deep-fried Cajun Turkey. It's a lot of work, involves being outdoors for hours, but I put it to a vote and that was the unanimous choice. Well, almost unanimous. I was hoping that this year I would get away with brining a bird and roasting indoors like normal people.

The rest of the menu is a spicy green-bean casserole, deviled eggs, potatoes, rolls and my favorite since childhood - canberry sauce Urban Dictionary: canberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Same as we do on any other "Hallmark Holiday". Go out and grab a meal, somewhere...
That's a different opinion. I've always thought of Thanksgiving as being the exact opposite of a Hallmark Holiday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This reminds me of the time I was on business in the USA with my boss from the UK.

How strange, but then I'm still trying to make sense of the way that the brits celebrate the 4th. of July.