Join Early Retirement Today

Thanksgiving meal plans
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Administrator

Thanksgiving meal plans

Just wondering how folks are planning their Thanksgiving meals this year. We decided to have a different menu – a whole beef tenderloin on the grill with game sausages, roasted potatoes, green beans and some pies for dessert. I get to cook this year and we’ll have friends and family joining us. We’ll also be partying before and after (other family celebrations) so next week will be nutritionally challenging and likely to add, at least temporarily, to the nation's obesity.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This year, DW and I will celebrate Thanksgiving by ourselves for a change. We are looking forward to it. No complicated menu and hours of prep work this time around. I am thinking honey baked ham, roasted potatoes, green beans, and pumpkin pie.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whatever my sister is having...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Exactly. We will probably have to have Thanksgiving dinner with Frank's very large extended family down at the family fishing camp. That means a huge spread including fried turkey with oyster stuffing, seafood fresh caught by his brothers-in-law, and many other choices.

In the unlikely event that we can get out of that get-together, we would probably go to a Chinese restaurant instead since they are usually open on Thanksgiving and not too crowded.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just wondering how folks are planning their Thanksgiving meals this year.
Same as we do on any other "Hallmark Holiday". Go out and grab a meal, somewhere...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
we would probably go to a Chinese restaurant instead since they are usually open on Thanksgiving and not too crowded.
A common plan, and one that always makes me smile.

My favorite Chinese restaurant is closed on just two days a year: Independence Day and Thanksgiving Day.

The owner, who came here from Hong Kong as a young man, bringing his family a couple of years later when he could afford to do so, decided on this plan when he opened his own place.

He said these are the two uniquely American holidays, so they would be the days he shuts the place and celebrates them at home with his family.

He has actually taken a lot of gas for that over the years, since he has loads of customers who would love to eat there on those holidays, but he has stuck to his guns. I admire him and appreciate his sentiment.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A common plan, and one that always makes me smile.
Me too, if you remember this classic (note: embedded link disabled; click on link in green box to view):

Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Mr B and I are cooking turkey here, all by ourselves. I have not cooked a turkey here in my own home for over 7 years. My guess is Mr B is going to be the turkey-meister and do the seasoning, timing and carving. No problem. I'm happy to step aside and let him do his thing.

He scored a 10 lb turkey for 0.49 per lb the other day. He thought he was going to have to pay 0.69 per lb, but he came across an advertisement flyer from a competing store showing a 0.49 per lb price. So he brought the flyer to the store he originally intended to go to and got the price match.

My great white hunter proudly brought home the bird and told me the whole story. I do believe he is even cheaper than I am.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I tried out my low-carb stuffing last night. Not much different from regular bread stuffing, but I'm going to modify it to make it a little less "flaxy."

1 loaf low carb stuffing bread (see below) or low carb bread, crumbled or cut into cubes
1 large onion, chopped
6-7 cups chopped celery - about 2 small bunches
1 green Bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch parsley, chopped (about 2 cups)
4 teaspoons poultry seasoning, such as Bells
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Salt - start with 1/2 teaspoon, or 1 T chicken or turkey soup base (see below)
1 cup water or broth, plus more according to moisture needed
1 - 3 eggs if baking stuffing, and if desired (nutritional info includes 1 egg)
1 cup Roasted Pecans
1 T cooking oil

1) Make low carb bread. Different types of bread will bring different results, so you may have to adjust the amount of liquid, seasonings, etc. I based the nutritional information below on using my homemade stuffing bread. In any case, allow the bread to dry out for awhile, either on the counter on in a low oven. It doesn't have to be totally dry, just kind of stale-level dry.
2) Saute onion, celery, and pepper until soft. Add parsley and cook for a minute or so, until wilted. Add seasonings. I include about a tablespoon ofBetter Than Bouillon Soup Base at this point.
3) Mix together the vegetables and the bread. Add a cup of broth or water, stir, and taste. Adjust seasoning and moisture. If you're going to stuff poultry with it, leave it on the dry side because it will absorb a lot of juices during cooking. You can eat it just as it is, but if you bake it, the flavors will come together better. Adding egg will make it come together in more of a melded-together form. I usually add one egg, but don't like it too melded. You can add 2, or even three eggs. Mix well and bake at 350 F. for about half an hour, or until browned on top.
Nutritional Information: This makes quite a lot of stuffing. Divided into 12 generous servings, each has 5 gramseffective carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber, 9 grams protein, and 244 calories.

The Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups flax seed meal
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
.5 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1 Tablespoons erythritol
5 beaten eggs
3 drops splenda
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanksgiving is simple for me:

My house
My menu
My favorite dessert
Shut up and eat!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My house
My menu
My favorite dessert
Shut up and eat!
This is why noone wants to come over to your place for Thanksgiving...

Uups, forgot to ask, What time do we eat?
noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Is that you, Peter?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post

Uups, forgot to ask, What time do we eat?
3:00pm, bring all the noones you want.........

Old 11-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whatever Carnival Cruise line is choosing to serve us that day.

DH and I have a tradition of taking a cruise Thanksgiving week. It's our time together before the extended family descends on us for Christmas.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #15

Bah!! Humbug!! I'm down on the holidays this year. Just in a funk. My son and his new wife are having their problems and we have been invited to their house for Thanksgiving. No thanks! I don't want to be in middle of that. We have begged off going there. Daughter usually has Thanksgiving dinner but this year, Daniel Boone (her husband) decided to go hunting up in Georgia. So she and another friend have decided to go to the missions downtown and help feed the homeless. She said to come over to her house later for desert. No thanks!

So DW and I are going to find the most expensive place in town to have Thanksgiving dinner and just enjoy ourselves. AND, I think we might keep Christmas to ourselves this year also. Wouldn't that be fun? Do what we want to do and to hell with everyone else. No gifts this year, no cards, no presents except for our neighbors and the puppies. Bah!! Humbug!!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Bah!! Humbug!! I'm down on the holidays this year. Just in a funk. My son and his new wife are having their problems and we have been invited to their house for Thanksgiving. No thanks! I don't want to be in middle of that. We have begged off going there. Daughter usually has Thanksgiving dinner but this year, Daniel Boone (her husband) decided to go hunting up in Georgia. So she and another friend have decided to go to the missions downtown and help feed the homeless. She said to come over to her house later for desert. No thanks!

So DW and I are going to find the most expensive place in town to have Thanksgiving dinner and just enjoy ourselves. AND, I think we might keep Christmas to ourselves this year also. Wouldn't that be fun? Do what we want to do and to hell with everyone else. No gifts this year, no cards, no presents except for our neighbors and the puppies. Bah!! Humbug!!
Maybe looking for a visit from the ghosts of Christmans past, present, and future?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'll be Martha Stewart this year. There will be 22 of us, both sides of the family. I rented tables and chairs and we move out the living room furniture and all eat in there. Main meat is turkey, turducken and ham, plus I do appetizers, cocktails, soup, tons of side dishes, desserts - everyone brings something. I set quite the festive table.

I love Thanksgiving. Love the family all being together. We have a pool table and ping pong table and will be doing a ladder type match for the champion.

I've already lined out the menu, made the grocery list and started shopping for what I could. I'll start cooking/prepping next week so I don't spend all Thanksgiving cooking.

The major downside is all the sleepover guests - 11 extra sleeping over.
marylandcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Bah!! Humbug!!.........
I hear ya. One of the best Thanksgivings I even spent was at Tikal. Needless to say, not a holiday there, but very quiet.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #19

Gonna go eat at my oldest daughter's (29) house with her hubby, their son, his mom, my wife, our son & myself. At least, that's the current plan. Since she's expecting her first baby, and it's due on Dec 2nd...anything could happen. SIL is deep-frying a turkey, and between my daughter, my wife & the SIL's mom, the rest of the fixin's will be prepared, and we'll all eat till we pop. Of course, if daughter goes into early labor, might be a turkey sammich from Subway.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Whatever my son's family is having. They know better than to stake their Thanksgiving on me managing to prepare food, clean my apt, and still have the energy to be standing upright.

I'm like the old Italian Grandpa in movies. I just quietly eat, notice any new females in attendance, and drink the aperitifs, wine and after dinner Cognac with relish.

No comments beyond "What a lovely party", "How charming your friends are," and "por favor, hay una otra copita?"

In the 70s there was a British serial comedy named The Fall and Rise of J. Reginald Perrin." It was great, and most models of how not to be a good Holiday dinner guest were very well shown. I make it my bible.

Ha