Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Our side dishes this year are mashed potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, grilled carrots and green beans, crescent rolls, stuffing (both in and out of the turkey), mac & cheese, and creamed onions. We aren't having squash this year but we have in the past and I've never thought it was strange. Butternut squash is perfect fall food.

Plus the turkey, four pies, ice cream, caramel corn, and assorted appetizers.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mashed potatoes, stuffing (done in the bird, no matter how many times the experts warn me I risk poisoning the family), sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, and crescent rolls. We normally have squash but I forgot this year. Pumpkin pie for dessert.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fascinating to see how strongly people feel about their Thanksgiving side dishes. I did not grow in the US but married into an American family of German descent. On my first Thanksgiving dinner, the side dishes spanned from candied yams to pickled red cabbage and potato dumplings. Over the years, I have developed my own tradition when it comes to side dishes for Thanksgiving dinner. Mashed potatoes, green beans, roasted butternut squash, and dinner rolls. Looks like I borrowed ideas from all over the place.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had turkey at a get together on Tuesday, so today we had king salmon.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Growing up here in western PA we had a turkey with wild rice- sausage stuffing (stuffed in the turkey), giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans (steamed, as my first-generation American parents were not fond of casseroles made with mayo or canned soup), and cranberries (made from the whole fruit boiled with some sugar). The wild rice was ordered from somewhere in MN (where my father discovered it during one of his frequent fishing trips). My Dad also made oyster dressing in a separate pan and this was enjoyed by everyone except my sister. If we had dessert, I don't recall it. I don't recall rolls or biscuits either, but the day after Thanksgiving we always enjoyed hot turkey sandwiches with gravy and mashed potatoes.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Interesting. We fit the Midwest with rolls, but also go with the green bean casserole. I like the Southeast with the mac and cheese though.
Drove up to Grant City Mo - talked about how many Green Bean casseroles would show up - NONE! Everybody thought somebody else would bring some for sure. Now - I brought Sicilian style (Rocky and Carlos) Mac and cheese.

Nobody brought salad either.

Heh heh heh - rolls galore. Turkey and ham, pumpkin, pecan pies, mashed potatoes, brown and white gravy, etc.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Rolls, green beans, green bean casserole and mac n cheese here.

Also had spicy papaya salad, rice noodles, egg rolls, spring rolls, and sticky rice.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #28

I love Thanksgiving dinner, and at our house (in Michigan), there are some things that just have to be included every year:

-roasted squash (Blue Hubbard is the best, but they are too big for our small family to eat a whole one, so we usually go with Butternut as a good second choice).

- turkey (usually grilled outside after soaking in brine for a day)
- garlic mashed potatoes w/gravy
- traditional bread stuffing w/celery, parsley, onion, marjoram, thyme, sage
- cranberry sauce w/orange
- pumpkin pike w/ real whipped cream

Beyond that, we usually have a green vegetable of some kind (varies from year to year), and maybe a second kind of pie (blueberry is a favorite of mine).
Old 11-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #29

Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter Dinners are all similar at our house.

Turkey (sometimes add a ham)
Dressing (done in the bird)
Gravy
Cranberry sauce - both real and the jellied stuff
Mashed potatoes
Squash
Corn (off the cob, not creamed)
Peas
Cole slaw (creamy)
Orange jello with mandarin oranges in it (going on 50 years!)
Fruit salad (with marshmallows!)
Rolls

Desert - apple pie, a berry and shortcake concoction, pumpkin pie (not at Easter) and whipped cream
Old 11-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

DW is the chef and here is our MI menu was:

Turkey
Stuffing - in the bird
Corn
Whole cranberry sauce
Roasted Brussels sprouts sautéed with bacon
Mash potatoes, turkey gravy
Rolls

Cheesecake with apple sauce
Pumpkin pie
Pumpkin roll

Omalley
Old 11-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #31

California-

Roast turkey (sometimes we'll smoke a second one)
Mashed potatoes
Gravy from the turkey drippings (usually one batch with and one without giblets)
Stuffing (we stuff the bird and cook the rest on the stovetop)
Peas with pearl onions
Cranberry sauce (berries, sugar, water, heat)
Rolls
Green salad

Pumpkin pie
Berry pie
Old 11-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
California-
Green salad
Is this just a regular salad? Like lettuce, tomato, carrot, salad dressing? I guess it would make a good side dish but I've just never heard of it with a traditional Thanksgiving spread.

Guess it's a western US thing (per the article).
Old 11-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And cornbread & rolls/biscuits are side dishes? Huh? But it's on the internet so it has to be true...
+1
Old 11-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Is this just a regular salad? Like lettuce, tomato, carrot, salad dressing? I guess it would make a good side dish but I've just never heard of it with a traditional Thanksgiving spread.

Guess it's a western US thing (per the article).
Maybe it's west coast or maybe just my family, but we have a salad with almost every dinner of the year.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:23 AM   #35

My mom, who spent her entire life in Louisiana, made a great oyster cornbread dressing. Now living in the southwest, we have regular dressing made from bread crumbs and always have a green salad as we do most meals. I insist on sweet potatoes and prefer the casserole with nuts and brown sugar topping - but forego the pecan pie as it is a little too sweet. But my favorite is the turkey enchiladas the day after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:29 AM   #36

Growing up in California it was always:

Turkey
Bread stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Sweet potatoes or yams made with brown sugar
Peas
Canned cranberry sauce
Rolls
Pumpkin pie and one other pie.

Afterward we'd break out the cards and had a riotously good time.

DH, DS and I aren't fond of stuffing ourselves, nor do we like yams, peas, or cranberry sauce.

So...
For us it was:
Turkey
Bread stuffing my mom's recipe to which I added turnips, and baked separately.
Pan gravy
Green beans made with onion/mushroom/garlic pesto sauce topped with crispy onions-a light version of the green bean casserole
Pumpkin chiffon pie with vanilla wafer crust, all handmade.

DH loves pumpkin pie.

DS learned did most of the work with my supervision and commented how much work it was. He ate extra pie knowing it was homemade and real!

Our after Thankgiving feast activities are usually card games or bowling.

This was the first Thanksgiving in years I wasn't w***king.

Next year I aim to go to California or Washington for Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Roasted turkey stuffed with bell pepper, onions, celery and garlic
cornbread dressing with ground beef and pork
green bean and artichoke casserole
carrot casserole
yam casserole
and for dessert doberge squares
and today will be turkey andouille gumbo made with the leftovers (that's the best way to eat turkey imo)
Old 11-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Roasted turkey stuffed with bell pepper, onions, celery and garlic
cornbread dressing with ground beef and pork
green bean and artichoke casserole
carrot casserole
yam casserole
and for dessert doberge squares
and today will be turkey andouille gumbo made with the leftovers (that's the best way to eat turkey imo)
As soon as I saw artichokes in a casserole I was thinking Louisiana, and the andouille gumbo leftovers confirmed it!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

People cook so much better now. Growing up it wasn't Thanksgiving without this menu (most dishes served only on Thanksgiving): sweet potatoes slid right out of the can into a baking dish and heated up with a dab of margarine and brown sugar sprinkled on top (we were too poor for marshmallows--fortunately)--so awful in terms of taste, texture, and presentation. And always some Brussels sprouts, probably canned too, and then boiled to an unappetizing aroma and consistency, served plain, on a plate next to the jellied canned cranberry sauce. White bread, celery and onion dressing cooked inside the turkey. Mashed potatoes--real and plain and good. Turkey cut up into pieces after roasting to dryness and eaten that way. Amazing real gravy made with turkey drippings, flour and water. A relish tray with little sweet gherkin pickles and green olives from jars. A bowl of nuts. Rolls from the grocery store. Pumpkin pie from the recipe on the can, real crust, for dessert, no whipped cream or ice cream. All cooked by mom (from the midwest) per dad's orders (New England roots).
Old 11-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Our part of the south leans heavily on the carbs. We will have two kinds of dressing (never called stuffing), one with sausage and one without. My personal favorite is oyster dressing, but I got downvoted on that.

Also Mac and cheese, broccoli casserole, sweet potatos with candied pecans on top, and a pecan pie. Plus rolls and cornbread. Is gravy a side dish?

Yep, starch... Broccoli casserole, corn casserole, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes with homemade noodles, traditional and oyster dressings (white bread-based, though, frankly, I prefer cornbread)...

Not sure why, but we've always had a small contingent for oyster dressing, even though we were midwesterners.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote