Join Early Retirement Today

Thanksgiving side dishes by region
Old 11-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here’s What Your Part Of America Eats On Thanksgiving | FiveThirtyEight

This is an interesting article on which parts of the country prefer certain side dishes on Thanksgiving.

I found squash in the upper NE of the country to be rather strange as their main side dish that others don't each as much of. I lived in Pittsburgh until I was about 8 and we never had it. Probably because my father doesnt like hardly any veggies I guess. I also didnt know people in the south ate cornbread as their main non traditional side...until I moved to Texas.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting. We fit the Midwest with rolls, but also go with the green bean casserole. I like the Southeast with the mac and cheese though.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Administrator

We have lots of family from Pittsburgh and surrounding areas going back many generations, and I wouldn't exactly call that "Northeast", at least from a cultural perspective. They wouldn't either. They are all very much in the "biscuits" category.

I love food, and eating, so it all works well for me.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Being a Connecticut Yankee stuck in Texas (with a Midwest wife), cornbread is not on the menu around here. Squash?
Old 11-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It all sounds good, but we have lots of sides, so hard to say where we fit. We have Pumpkin bread and Cranberry bread, not sure those count as 'rolls' though. Mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes (does that count as squash - almost?). The green vegetable varies, green beans this year, but could be broccoli or roasted Brussels Sprouts. Cranberry relish and cranberry sauce, and salad, and 'stuffing' (but cooked separate, not 'stuffed').

Cornbread and/or Mac & Cheese sound good though, never had Mac & Cheese at Thanksgiving, probably have had cornbread muffins in the past?

Have several wines and a champagne chilled and lots of different beers, both home-brew and commercial, plus soft drinks ( a big array of different ginger ales from World Market to taste test). Our favorite accompaniment for Turkey dinner is a Peach Lambic - nice and tart and more almond than peach. Just works with turkey.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Our sides today are salad, glazed carrots, whipped potatoes, meat dressing, stuffing. DW wanted squash and broccoli, but i talked her out of it.

As an a-side (pun intended), I find each Thanksgiving that I love turkey and often wonder why we don't have it more often.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Squash? Really? I think that would just take up WAY too much real estate on my plate and that is NOT acceptable. Mac n' Cheese in the South seems to be a fairly new phenomenon. I am seeing it more and more on menus, particularly as a fancy-dish (made with gouda cheese instead of Cheeze-Wiz). As a matter of fact, I saw that the Honey Baked store had Mac n' Cheese available, but the supply looked short compared to the traditional sides.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Our sides today are salad, glazed carrots, whipped potatoes, meat dressing, stuffing. DW wanted squash and broccoli, but i talked her out of it.

As an a-side (pun intended), I find each Thanksgiving that I love turkey and often wonder why we don't have it more often.
Funny you mention having turkey more than once a year. I think some of it might be the preparation. Since we started cooking our in an infrared fryer (that is very easy and very tasty!) we tend to do turkey 2 or 3 times a year.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having been an AF brat and crisscrossed homes from east to west coast, sides for Thanksgiving in our house include biscuits, cornbread stuffing, and steamed veggies.

Gobble gobble!
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #10

I grew up in NYC (yes, I know that's another planet) and never heard of squash on the menu.

We always had mashed turnips though. Same size bowl as the mashed potatoes.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #11
gone traveling

regular and sweet potatoes, cranberry, sausage stuffing, green beans, followed by pumpkin spice cookies and apple pie for dessert
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

Hey - we're on the west coast and eat salad pretty much every dinner... except Thanksgiving - too many other dishes.

Our menu tonight:
- Turkey
- stuffing with pecans and sausage
- homemade gravy
- Mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, parm, and goat cheese.
- green beans dressed with sesame oil and almond slivers.
- cranberry sauce with orange zest and ginger
- fruit salad (no marshmallow... just diced up fruit - my sister's contribution)
- fresh baked rolls
- pumpkin and pecan pies (just came out of the oven.)

Oh - and wine.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Salad? Squash? And cornbread & rolls/biscuits are side dishes? Huh? But it's on the internet so it has to be true...

I never knew our family tradition was so far off the mark. I grew up with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes w gravy, candied sweet potatoes & cranberry sauce. The sides I grew up with didn't top the list in any region.

I can't remember what we had for dessert, probably lefse or krumkake.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #14

I'm from the mid-Atlantic and can confidently say I've never had cauliflower on Thanksgiving. And DH is a native Texan and we've never had cornbread either (even when we were at his parents' or siblings' homes).

One side I've encountered frequently in Texas that just strikes me as odd is deviled eggs.

We're pretty simple: turkey, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, un-stuffed stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce are the "every year" items. This year the veggie is roasted brussels sprouts and butternut squash with dried cranberries (saw the recipe last week and it sounds very yummy) and the pie is pumpkin (it's most often apple but DH requested pumpkin). Roasted or sautéed green beans is more often the veggie.

I just got the pie out of the oven - almost had a cooking disaster when I had a brain fart and put 2 teaspoons of paprika instead of cinnamon in with the pumpkin. I was able to scrape most of it out and the mix tasted ok so hopefully so will the pie.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Our part of the south leans heavily on the carbs. We will have two kinds of dressing (never called stuffing), one with sausage and one without. My personal favorite is oyster dressing, but I got downvoted on that.

Also Mac and cheese, broccoli casserole, sweet potatos with candied pecans on top, and a pecan pie. Plus rolls and cornbread. Is gravy a side dish?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Is gravy a side dish?
It's the only absolutely essential item on the table IMHO.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We have lived in Alaska for over 30 years. We eat salads regularly... but have never had salad as a side dish for Thanksgiving.

thats just wrong
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

From the northeast here, squash is definitely a staple at thanksgiving. We had squash,mashed potatoes, turnip, carrots, stuffing, candied yams, green beans, cranberry sauce and rolls...

Everyone I know around here minimally has squash, rolls, mashed potatoes, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Im actually surprised that the rest of the U.S. Doesn't have squash... But cornbread seems like a good addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
turbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #19

An easy menu this year.

Roast Turkey with stuffing (in the bird like the government warns not to do.).
Mashed potatoes.
Corn
Lettuce salad.
Baked sweet potatoes.
Squash.
Broccoli with cheese sauce.
Ambrosia.
Rolls.

Family brings dessert, probably cheesecakes and apple pie.

Years when I have more guests I add a small smoked turkey and a few racks of pork ribs.

This is in Central NY.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #20

Fortunately being Italian we always started with hand-made, fresh dough pasta or ravioli before the turkey. Sides were mashed potatoes, stuffing and a salad.

Even though I am from the Northeast I, personally, would not eat anything called "squash."
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote