Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread made me think of all of my "firsts". In 1970 I became a true teenager as I turned 13. I had my first real crush and boyfriend at 15. I got my first job at 16 at an insurance agency while I was a senior in high school. I had my first cigarette, alcohol and taste of drugs. Got my first car and d.l. at 16. Graduated from high school at 17, then two weeks later, got married to a "bad boy" that I thought I loved. Three months later, I divorced him as he became abusive. I was able to vote at 18. At 19 I got married again.

Yeah...a lot of firsts for me in the 70's.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
This thread made me think of all of my "firsts". In 1970 I became a true teenager as I turned 13. I had my first real crush and boyfriend at 15. I got my first job at 16 at an insurance agency while I was a senior in high school. I had my first cigarette, alcohol and taste of drugs. Got my first car and d.l. at 16. Graduated from high school at 17, then two weeks later, got married to a "bad boy" that I thought I loved. Three months later, I divorced him as he became abusive. I was able to vote at 18. At 19 I got married again.

Yeah...a lot of firsts for me in the 70's.
Sounds like you were no hothouse flower. Congratulations on getting busy with living early.

Ha

Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sounds like you were no hothouse flower. Congratulations on getting busy with living early.

Ha
Thanks.. At a young age I was filled with grit and determination. I was able not only to survive, but flourish.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Otto, is that you?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I entered the military in early January of 1970. One of my most vivid memories of those first few days is of one of my classmates from Chicago.

Otto, all 5 feet, 4 inches of him (the minimum height for USAF flight school at the time) stepped off the bus at Lackland AFB dressed as a hippy Chicago school janitor . Along with shoulder length hair and large "peace" medallion hanging around his neck, Otto was wearing sandals, a tie-died shirt and a pair of red bell-bottom trousers made from a Soviet flag - complete with a bright yellow hammer and sickle on one leg.

The TI's had a feeding frenzy over Otto and abused him mercilessly teased him repeatedly that first day regarding his appearance. On day two, in an ill-fitting olive drab uniform and after an "I survived Auchwitz" haircut, he blended in to become just another piece of human cannon fodder like the rest of us.

Otto retired after 20 years, much of that as a B52 pilot.
I was too short (5'3") to be a pilot.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #45

Damn, I was born in 1970. I got nothing on y'all. I learned how to add and subtract and read in that decade. My mom listened to the Rolling Stones. I turned loose an entire sandwich bag full (and I mean full) of big, harmless black ants in the first grade classroom. Got sent home. Also tore the entire seat of my pants out trying to climb over the fence in first grade. Got sent home.
That about sums it up for highlights. I got my first pony Heyward in 1978.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who could resist?
A 70s thread that starts with Janis.
A flood of memories. Nothing specific or noteworthy comes to mind at this instant except for the good music.

Peace,

Free to canoe
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well, we may not have had much in the way of cable (but HBO came on the scene in 1975, I think) - but we had far better TV then than we do now with all the junk that airs today, and most of it was on the main 3 channels and a few independents. Oh well.....but I DO like today's computers!!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

off the top of my head...

70 - 4 dead in O-Hi-O
71 - collapse of bretton woods
72 - dolphins perfect season
73 - yom kippur war
74 - nixon resigns
75 - fall of saigon
76 - bicentennial
77 - elvis dies (or not )
78 - 3 popes
79 - hostage crisis in tehran
Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

A personal recollection...inspired by bbbamI's list
1972 - graduated elementary school
1973 - parents divorce, buried myself into HS studies and pursued the dream to go to college (thanks Mom )
1976 - graduated 3rd in class, won a full scholarship, picked college instead of joining the Coast Guard with OCS offer. I often wonder...
1976 - went to state college, majored in Physics, learned to budget and live on my own
1977-79 - learned to be a small engine/automotive mechanic during summers to pay for books and room and board
1979 - drove solo (with cat) from NY to Florida where Mom had moved, got to know my uncle and aunt and cousins
1979 - returned to NY to finish up degree, met LH in college , got engaged and graduated together in 1980.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Janis, Jimi, and Jim passed away, but this "J" survived the seventies (although I confess never read it myself and don't know anyone who admits to it, it was hugely popular):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnathan_Livingston_Seagull.jpg (28.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Janis, Jimi, and Jim passed away, but this "J" survived the seventies (although I confess never read it myself and don't know anyone who admits to it, it was hugely popular):
I read it (back then) to see what all the fuss was about. It was self-consciously cute, though also really, really stupid. Definitely aimed for the mass audience.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I read it (back then) to see what all the fuss was about. It was self-consciously cute, though also really, really stupid. Definitely aimed for the mass audience.
Read it once, never thought about it again until I saw the photo in this thread.

Nowhere near the impact of "Your Money or Your Life" or "The Millionaire Next Door"!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

This guy made me more than happy to go to school in the 70s.....
Old 08-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Anyone read this book in the 70s? I sure did. It was wicked funny

From Wikipedia: The novel first appeared as a two-part series in Rolling Stone magazine in 1971, was printed as a book in 1972, and was later adapted into a film of the same name in 1998 starring Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas.jpg (34.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #55

I read Jonathan, and several of Richard Bach's other books. I enjoyed most of them, especially his stories about barnstorming across America. The best one was probably Illusions: the adventures of a reluctant messiah.
I was a voracious reader as a child, and read many of these new agey type books without doing too much damage (one hopes) to my intellect.
And yes, Fear and Loathing was awesome, too.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

For me the 70s were like being washed up on a calm beach after surviving a tempest called the 60s. The defining year being 1968. Those of us that made it "over the hump" into the 70s took jobs, had families, and continued into what would now be considered normal life.
Many that I grew up with are still living in the mindset of the 60s. Some chose to stay of their own free will.....others just never found their way out. Friends and family are included.
Although they continue to age along with me it's as if we are traveling in parallel universes....able to pull along side each other for a visit, but never able to cross from one side to the other.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
Many that I grew up with are still living in the mindset of the 60s. Some chose to stay of their own free will.....others just never found their way out. Friends and family are included.
Although they continue to age along with me it's as if we are traveling in parallel universes....able to pull along side each other for a visit, but never able to cross from one side to the other.
Yeah Poundkey, I know a few folks like these myself.

btw...great avatar.....
Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
For me the 70s were like being washed up on a calm beach after surviving a tempest called the 60s. The defining year being 1968.
1968 was a defining year to me too. Some of the things that stick in my mind from '68 include:

- Martin Luther King, Jr. killed
- The Tet offensive and My Lai massacre
- Robert F. Kennedy killed
- The Beatles White Album
- Nixon elected President
- The Movie 2001
- Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company
- Apollo 8
- Wheels of Fire - Cream
- any many things I'm sure are lost in my memory right now...

Yup Poundkey, you're right. After the late 60's, the 70's were like a walk on the beach.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some things from the the era but not strictly from the 70s.
Electric Kool-aid Acid Test The origin of don't drink the Kool-aid? They are making a movie of the book next year.

The Firesign Theater

Zap Comics

Mr. Natural
Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
1968 was a defining year to me too. Some of the things that stick in my mind from '68 include:

- Martin Luther King, Jr. killed
- The Tet offensive and My Lai massacre
- Robert F. Kennedy killed
- The Beatles White Album
- Nixon elected President
- The Movie 2001
- Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company
- Apollo 8
- Wheels of Fire - Cream
- any many things I'm sure are lost in my memory right now...

Yup Poundkey, you're right. After the late 60's, the 70's were like a walk on the beach.

You forgot Woodstock !
Attached Images
File Type: gif woodstock_arch.gif (62.4 KB, 34 views)