That 70s Thread

Janis, Jimi, and Jim passed away, but this "J" survived the seventies (although I confess never read it myself and don't know anyone who admits to it, it was hugely popular):

I read it (back then) to see what all the fuss was about. It was self-consciously cute, though also really, really stupid. Definitely aimed for the mass audience.

I read it (back then) to see what all the fuss was about. It was self-consciously cute, though also really, really stupid. Definitely aimed for the mass audience.
Read it once, never thought about it again until I saw the photo in this thread.

Nowhere near the impact of "Your Money or Your Life" or "The Millionaire Next Door"!

This guy made me more than happy to go to school in the 70s.....:)

Last edited:
Anyone read this book in the 70s? I sure did. It was wicked funny >:D

From Wikipedia: The novel first appeared as a two-part series in Rolling Stone magazine in 1971, was printed as a book in 1972, and was later adapted into a film of the same name in 1998 starring Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro.

Attachments

• Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas.jpg
    Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
I read Jonathan, and several of Richard Bach's other books. I enjoyed most of them, especially his stories about barnstorming across America. The best one was probably Illusions: the adventures of a reluctant messiah.
I was a voracious reader as a child, and read many of these new agey type books without doing too much damage (one hopes) to my intellect.
And yes, Fear and Loathing was awesome, too.

For me the 70s were like being washed up on a calm beach after surviving a tempest called the 60s. The defining year being 1968. Those of us that made it "over the hump" into the 70s took jobs, had families, and continued into what would now be considered normal life.
Many that I grew up with are still living in the mindset of the 60s. Some chose to stay of their own free will.....others just never found their way out. Friends and family are included.
Although they continue to age along with me it's as if we are traveling in parallel universes....able to pull along side each other for a visit, but never able to cross from one side to the other.

Many that I grew up with are still living in the mindset of the 60s. Some chose to stay of their own free will.....others just never found their way out. Friends and family are included.
Although they continue to age along with me it's as if we are traveling in parallel universes....able to pull along side each other for a visit, but never able to cross from one side to the other.
Yeah Poundkey, I know a few folks like these myself.

btw...great avatar.....:cool:

For me the 70s were like being washed up on a calm beach after surviving a tempest called the 60s. The defining year being 1968.

1968 was a defining year to me too. Some of the things that stick in my mind from '68 include:

- Martin Luther King, Jr. killed
- The Tet offensive and My Lai massacre
- Robert F. Kennedy killed
- The Beatles White Album
- Nixon elected President
- The Movie 2001
- Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company
- Apollo 8
- Wheels of Fire - Cream
- any many things I'm sure are lost in my memory right now...

Yup Poundkey, you're right. After the late 60's, the 70's were like a walk on the beach.

Some things from the the era but not strictly from the 70s.
Electric Kool-aid Acid Test The origin of don't drink the Kool-aid? They are making a movie of the book next year.

The Firesign Theater

Zap Comics

Mr. Natural

1968 was a defining year to me too. Some of the things that stick in my mind from '68 include:

- Martin Luther King, Jr. killed
- The Tet offensive and My Lai massacre
- Robert F. Kennedy killed
- The Beatles White Album
- Nixon elected President
- The Movie 2001
- Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company
- Apollo 8
- Wheels of Fire - Cream
- any many things I'm sure are lost in my memory right now...

Yup Poundkey, you're right. After the late 60's, the 70's were like a walk on the beach.

You forgot Woodstock !

Attachments

• woodstock_arch.gif
    woodstock_arch.gif
    62.4 KB · Views: 34
You forgot Woodstock !

Woodstock was in '69. Another pivotol year:

- Led Zepplin I
- Apollo 11 Moon Landing
- Manson Family murders
- Hurricane Camille
- Beatles Abbey Road
- Brady Bunch on TV
- Monty Python on BBC
- Tommy - The Who
- and much more I'm not thinkin' of right now....

Hmmm, time for a 60s thread?:flowers:

Just saw on the news that "Squeaky" Fromme is being release from prison. Manson follower and pointed a gun at Ford in 1975.

That Kool Aid guy always did freak me out.....

Last edited:
Though Woodstock was in August of 1969...

Those of us that made it "over the hump" into the 70s took jobs, had families, and continued into what would now be considered normal life.

Same here, except in the 80s. Some might not agree with the "normal" part...

Anyone read this book in the 70s? I sure did. It was wicked funny >:D

From Wikipedia: The novel first appeared as a two-part series in Rolling Stone magazine in 1971, was printed as a book in 1972, and was later adapted into a film of the same name in 1998 starring Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro.

I read the whole series in Rolling Stone. Gonzo "journalism" was a fun innovation.

Some things from the the era but not strictly from the 70s.
Electric Kool-aid Acid Test The origin of don't drink the Kool-aid? They are making a movie of the book next year.

The Firesign Theater

Zap Comics

Mr. Natural
All of them were great but Firesign was the best. I used to listen to the albums again and again. I saw Firesign in Chicago on a visit about 10 years ago. They are still together although I don't know if they tour. You can see them in LA in October.

For me the 70s were like being washed up on a calm beach after surviving a tempest called the 60s. The defining year being 1968. Those of us that made it "over the hump" into the 70s took jobs, had families, and continued into what would now be considered normal life.
My age at the time (10 in 1968) sounds young, but I remember the tumultuous events of the tail end of the 1960s very clearly. The influence of the mass media near NYC is probably why my awareness was higher than a 10 year old should have had.
I remember adults being very stressed about a lot of things.
No wonder...:(

Waiting for the electrician or someone like him?

We've listened to Firesign Theatre ("Boom Dot Bust" was available from the library) on driving trips--amazingly, it is just as funny and thought provoking without the influence of any funny stuff, sort of like rereading classics in high school and then twenty years later.

the Reverend Jim Jones and the Guyana massacre is why we shouldn't drink the Kool Aid....

I didn't think you had a choice with Jim as to whether or not to drink.

Are you proposing that we drink Kool-Aid from a Merry Prankster?
I would be careful not to drink in either case. Either way, you are never the same.

donheff,

Thanks for the tip on the live Firesign Theater shows. Nick Danger is 40!

Free to canoe

Back
Top Bottom