That 70s Thread

Please add to this thread. I'm looking forward to finding out what happened in the 70s...

The 70's?

On January 6, 1970 I held up my right hand in the presence of a US flag to take anoath of enlistment where I swore to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

The remainder of the decade is a little blurry...

I thought Janis left us in the 60's though I may be wrong.

Janis died October 4, 1970. Her album Pearl was released in 1971 and became the biggest selling album of her career.

Some personal Purron notes about the 70s:

Graduated high school in '73
Married my current hubby and high school sweetheart in '74

I graduated from high school in 1975. My avatar (at the moment) is my senior picture. CFB felt I needed a pancake on my head. I agree.

Please add to this thread. I'm looking forward to finding out what happened in the 70s...

Yeah . . . If you can remember the 70's you weren't really there.

Did a lot of concerts (and one rock festival) in the 70's. Now I wear earplugs when mowing the yard because hearing is the only sense left that completely works and I don't want to lose it.

Amazes me how we survived without Computers,cell phones,credit/debit cards,no cable tv.

We suffered some significant side effects - including strange clothing, excessive hair growth and funky dance music....

Many experience these side effects a second time in retirement.;)

We suffered some significant side effects - including strange clothing, excessive hair growth and funky dance music....
Since the OP was looking for amusing anecdotes here is mine. I graduated from college at the end of the fall semester of 1972 - about 1 1/2 years late :). I was working my way through college as a school janitor and used to talk to the 8th grade science teacher about my interest in teaching science when I graduated and got my teacher's license. Oh yeah -- and I had gray hair down to middle of my back and a fu manchu mustache. In any event, I was moved off to another school right after graduation while I was waiting for my Chicago Schools certificate. One day I get a call from the principal at the old school - the science teacher had a heart attack and was out for the rest of the spring semester, could I come in as the sub? Soon I had a bunch of parents coming to the class room to find out what's up with their kids coming home saying, "our hippy janitor took over as the science teacher." The rest of the surrounding ten years is a blank :)

Amazes me how we survived without Computers,cell phones,credit/debit cards,no cable tv.
(emphasis mine)

We had credit cards in the 1970's. Remember? Instead of sliding the card through an electronic credit card reader, the cashiers would put the card and a three part credit slip in a manual machine with a slider, that would copy the (raised) CC numbers onto the slip, which we would then sign.

Couldn't use those cards for debit, though. For that, we had ATM cards from the bank that could only be used at the ATM.

I was so busy during the 1970's that I really don't have any stories or episodes to recount. I was just out of college, in grad school, then married a sailor, then moving constantly with him and finding teaching jobs wherever we landed, then having a baby.... that part of life. I was pregnant when disco became popular and I never learned to dance that way since I was married and not dating, and was busy with other things. My ex got a cheap looking tan leisure suit from his parents for Christmas and never wore it.

Last edited:
-- and I had gray hair down to middle of my back and a fu manchu mustache. In any event, I was moved off to another school right after graduation while I was waiting for my Chicago Schools certificate. One day I get a call from the principal at the old school - the science teacher had a heart attack and was out for the rest of the spring semester, could I come in as the sub? Soon I had a bunch of parents coming to the class room to find out what's up with their kids coming home saying, "our hippy janitor took over as the science teacher."
Otto, is that you?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I entered the military in early January of 1970. One of my most vivid memories of those first few days is of one of my classmates from Chicago.

Otto, all 5 feet, 4 inches of him (the minimum height for USAF flight school at the time) stepped off the bus at Lackland AFB dressed as a hippy Chicago school janitor ;). Along with shoulder length hair and large "peace" medallion hanging around his neck, Otto was wearing sandals, a tie-died shirt and a pair of red bell-bottom trousers made from a Soviet flag - complete with a bright yellow hammer and sickle on one leg.

The TI's had a feeding frenzy over Otto and [-]abused him mercilessly[/-] teased him repeatedly that first day regarding his appearance. On day two, in an ill-fitting olive drab uniform and after an "I survived Auchwitz" haircut, he blended in to become just another piece of human cannon fodder like the rest of us.

Otto retired after 20 years, much of that as a B52 pilot.

Back
Top Bottom