Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

That show on tv: "Hoarders"
Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That show on tv: "Hoarders"

Is it just me? Must be cause the show is still going, so someone is watching it; but I find that tv show Horders so repugnant that I have the same reaction to it that I do when those sad, pathetic ads for the SPCA come on. (Who can look at those innocent and abused animals and not get upset?) I have to just turn away or leave the room.
Same with this show Horders for me. I just have to turn away but for a different reason. Just too repulsive to think people really live that way.
Can someone tell me what the fascination is with looking at the filth people live in? I must be missing the thrill of it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO, looking at train wrecks enables some people to feel good about themselves...seeing this type of thing makes their lives look less crappy.

....for others it's like road kill...they just can't look away.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

What bothers me is that the team of psychologists and organizers come in and the whole process is such torture and then many times they don't have enough time to finish. So few episodes show success. They make progress but it feels incomplete.

I've watched some of these and I'm struck with the "mental illness" component of this. It's not laziness or bad habits or someone who is too busy. It's truly a mental illness that they cannot see what they are living in and are so stuck in inaction that they will just keep accumulating stuff.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Is it just me or has reality TV sunk to new lows. Hoarding is truly awful but the commercials for "Sister wives " makes me want to smack the TV. Except for HGTV they can eliminate the rest of the garbage that is filling the airs .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Is it just me or has reality TV sunk to new lows.
No, it's not only you.

Look at the series that show folks that abuse alcohol/drugs, and the damage done to themselves and their families.

It's cheap entertainment (e.g. inexpensive to produce) and there are plenty of people looking to "express themselves" in a manner that I certainly would not.

Reality TV = Cheap TV, or more correctly, quantity over quality...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm guessing reality shows will now be going through the book of human disorders - OCD, ADD, sexual addictions, phobias etc.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
IMO, looking at train wrecks enables some people to feel good about themselves...seeing this type of thing makes their lives look less crappy.

....for others it's like road kill...they just can't look away.
Exactly. That's why we love linked articles that show people spending their money foolishly or w*rking until they drop.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Having no TV, this is the phrase that comes to mind about nearly all mass entertainment available these days: Defining Deviancy Down

From an article by J. Dirske:
“Defining deviancy down” is a commonly known phrase coined by the late New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan. In 1993, Moynihan wrote a report entitled, "How We've Become Accustomed to Alarming Levels of Crime and Destructive Behavior," in response to the sharp increase of violent deaths apart of the so-called “culture of crime” in the early 1990s.

The report’s subtitle stated above explains the result of the concept of “defining deviancy down.” Moynihan argues that American culture and politics, with an increase in deviant behavior, redefines deviance and lowers the “normal” level of deviancy warranted by the increase in such behavior. In layman’s terms, with an increase in violent behavior, some crimes become normal and only extraordinary crimes are of interest to us.

I think this is easily applied to such forms of entertainment and again am grateful I've never seen this show or the equally annoying concept called Dancing with the stars. Ugh!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
What bothers me is that the team of psychologists and organizers come in and the whole process is such torture and then many times they don't have enough time to finish. So few episodes show success. They make progress but it feels incomplete.
I've watched some of these and I'm struck with the "mental illness" component of this. It's not laziness or bad habits or someone who is too busy. It's truly a mental illness that they cannot see what they are living in and are so stuck in inaction that they will just keep accumulating stuff.
Spouse has been watching the show since its inception with a combination of schadenfreude and "there but for the grace of God". There are actually two of them-- A&E's "Hoarders" and TLC's poignantly-eponymous "Buried Alive".

From occasional followups and talk-show commentary, it's not only a mental illness but one with a nearly 0% cure rate. (One of the psychologists claims to have been raised by a hoarder.) Just about every person featured on the show has headed right back down the slippery slope.

Frankly, my passing glimpses of those shows inspire me to go clean a closet (see the "Simplifying Saturday" thread). Spouse no longer worries about her habit of occasionally scooping up tchotchkes at garage sales.

The families are traumatized too. IIRC, Peter Walsh was making the talk-show rounds a few years ago with his "Too Much Stuff" books. One of his stories was a woman whose brain-cancer surgery left her with a hoarding compulsion. When she died, her family called him in for help in coping with their loss, the horror of the experience, and the overwhelming task of cleaning it all out.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #10

Maybe these shows open the eyes of those who actually don't realize there are folks that live like this or those with addictions so heavy they ruin theirs and other lives, but I'm aware of it...and don't need to boost my own self-esteem by watching others that are sick. I'm at the point regarding these shows to saying: What the hell is wrong with the American people to even watch this sh@t?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse has been watching the show since its inception with a combination of schadenfreude and "there but for the grace of God". There are actually two of them-- A&E's "Hoarders" and TLC's poignantly-eponymous "Buried Alive".

From occasional followups and talk-show commentary, it's not only a mental illness but one with a nearly 0% cure rate. (One of the psychologists claims to have been raised by a hoarder.) Just about every person featured on the show has headed right back down the slippery slope.

Frankly, my passing glimpses of those shows inspire me to go clean a closet (see the "Simplifying Saturday" thread). Spouse no longer worries about her habit of occasionally scooping up tchotchkes at garage sales.

The families are traumatized too. IIRC, Peter Walsh was making the talk-show rounds a few years ago with his "Too Much Stuff" books. One of his stories was a woman whose brain-cancer surgery left her with a hoarding compulsion. When she died, her family called him in for help in coping with their loss, the horror of the experience, and the overwhelming task of cleaning it all out.

For the ones that are so bad they are on the TV.... I agree that cure rate is 0%.... but for all hoarders I think it is not...

My mother was one... it was always a struggle to get her to throw away all the old crap that she collected... I think a lot of her problem was growing up during the depression... we finally got her moved to a small 1BR condo and threw away a LOT of crap.. she was OK with it and has not gone down the path again...

Now, I have that gene... my wife calls me a hampster that wants to save everything.... but I have started to throw away a lot of stuff that I would not have a long time ago... and I do not miss any of it at all... fortunately for me it is not an obsession....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Maybe these shows open the eyes of those who actually don't realize there are folks that live like this or those with addictions so heavy they ruin theirs and other lives, but I'm aware of it...and don't need to boost my own self-esteem by watching others that are sick. I'm at the point regarding these shows to saying: What the hell is wrong with the American people to even watch this sh@t?
+1
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I just watched the first few minutes of the episode below. Oh man!

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/?...d=615470187001
Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My mother was one... it was always a struggle to get her to throw away all the old crap that she collected... I think a lot of her problem was growing up during the depression... we finally got her moved to a small 1BR condo and threw away a LOT of crap.. she was OK with it and has not gone down the path again...
Now, I have that gene... my wife calls me a hampster that wants to save everything.... but I have started to throw away a lot of stuff that I would not have a long time ago... and I do not miss any of it at all... fortunately for me it is not an obsession....
Well, the diagnosis could be a chicken/egg proposition. It may be written to standards that ensure only a lifelong hardwired hoarder would be able to make good TV drama reach its criteria, practically guaranteeing a failure to cure.

According to the TV doctors, there's a genetic predisposition toward obsessive/compulsive behavior that's triggered by some sort of trauma-- and then the hoarding behavior more or less permanently changes the brain chemistry. The only "successful" cure mentioned on the shows involved a 21-year-old who may have still been young enough to climb out of the pit and stay out. But his trauma was persecution for being gay, and I suspect that he has a lifetime of trauma ahead of him.

As for your mother, I have a MIL like that. I suspect it comes from being a child of the Depression, not from any particular hardwiring or trauma. In fact most of the trauma around her life has been inflicted by her, much as I might wish for some to be inflicted on her.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, the diagnosis could be a chicken/egg proposition. It may be written to standards that ensure only a lifelong hardwired hoarder would be able to make good TV drama reach its criteria, practically guaranteeing a failure to cure.

According to the TV doctors, there's a genetic predisposition toward obsessive/compulsive behavior that's triggered by some sort of trauma-- and then the hoarding behavior more or less permanently changes the brain chemistry. The only "successful" cure mentioned on the shows involved a 21-year-old who may have still been young enough to climb out of the pit and stay out. But his trauma was persecution for being gay, and I suspect that he has a lifetime of trauma ahead of him.

As for your mother, I have a MIL like that. I suspect it comes from being a child of the Depression, not from any particular hardwiring or trauma. In fact most of the trauma around her life has been inflicted by her, much as I might wish for some to be inflicted on her.

True... but I think like most problems there are degrees... I think that my mother is hardwired for this.... because I can tell that I am a bit hardwired for it myself...

Now, my dad did hoard, but I think all of his was growing up during the depression... he kept stuff that you might use one day, and kept it in neat order in the garage... we had cans of almost any kind of nail or screw or nut and bolt you could think of.... the cans were painted yellow with the important info lettered in black... we kept scraps of pipe, wood, etc. etc... and if we needed something, we ususally found it.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My dad (who'd be 100 if he was alive) did the same as yours, TexasProud. He was also organized about it. And my mom did the same with her sewing/embroidery/crafts stuff (though less neat and tidy than dad...threads, pins, and scraps do have a way of wandering around the house), and so do I. Unlike the poor demented hoarders, though, we do not have stuff sitting in the hallways, on the furniture, etc. That would have horrified my parents.

Although years often go by without using a particular item, I can find whatever I need to mend anything made of fabric. When the strap on my leather purse broke, I already had the leather needle and sail-maker's thread to fix it for another 3 years of use.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Now, my dad did hoard, but I think all of his was growing up during the depression... he kept stuff that you might use one day, and kept it in neat order in the garage... we had cans of almost any kind of nail or screw or nut and bolt you could think of.... the cans were painted yellow with the important info lettered in black... we kept scraps of pipe, wood, etc. etc... and if we needed something, we ususally found it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think the show is disturbing, and almost always (can't watch it any more but the ones I saw) is an unhappy ending. I wonder how someone can live like that but then I think most have a bit of "hoarder" in us. I've been emptying the house of all unused items in preparation for FIRE in another country, and, sometmes it's hard to chuck something that's been sitting in the storage room for 20 years and never been used.
freedom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Having no TV, this is the phrase that comes to mind about nearly all mass entertainment available these days: Defining Deviancy Down

From an article by J. Dirske:
“Defining deviancy down” is a commonly known phrase coined by the late New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan. In 1993, Moynihan wrote a report entitled, "How We've Become Accustomed to Alarming Levels of Crime and Destructive Behavior," in response to the sharp increase of violent deaths apart of the so-called “culture of crime” in the early 1990s.
I think that Moynihan would today be unable to publically say 2/3 of what he said in the 60s. Welcome to the refuse heap.

Ha
Old 10-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've never seen the show. Doesn't sound like one I want to see.

I saw a new one the other night that caught my interest. The truck drivers on the show 'Ice Road Truckers' are on a new show. I know, what your thinking but you might take a look before turning up your nose. Some interesting roads in India, through the Himalayas.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'd be interested in an episode on a hoarder who is not as extreme as the one I saw. That is, instead of someone with 16 dead cats in the house, someone with a very cluttered but sanitary house. There was a woman down the street who was always adding lawn ornaments. I'd be curious to know what makes her tick.