Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I confess that a false memories I have is I swear that I heard of the death of Clarence Clemons from the E Street Band about a year before he actually died. When I heard the actual news (well, for me a year later) that definitely gave me that deja vu feeling.

My explanation is perhaps I had heard that he had a stroke, but my mind registered that he had died. Then later when he died, I thought that was the second time I heard the news. Tricks played on my tired mind.

I'm sure police officers who interview victims of crimes encounter a lot of false memories as they describe the events that happened.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
As a side note, I find it interesting at the short shelf life of these 'hot' items.

"Deflate-gate" was hot for a few days,
replaced by the blizzards in the NE,
replaced by the Super Bowl,
replaced by ISIS,
replaced by Brian Williams,
(now) replaced by Bruce Jenner,
replaced by (next)

Even if you're at the center of the worst news, it seems all you have to do is hold your breath for a few minutes and the media is on to the next new thing.
I'm thinking the next next will be poor Bobbi Kristina.

I was interested to learn that actress Allison Williams, who played Peter Pan this past December on NBC's live musical broadcast, is the daughter of Brian Williams, who plays an anchorman on NBC's live news broadcast. At least he says she's his daughter

Old 02-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazing these people can't just REPORT the news ... they need to BE the news ... MAKE (UP) the news.

No wonder they are so easily seen as biased and viewers are dropping them as a news source.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
False memories are more common than you might think...

Motley Fool: Everyone is a liar - Herald-Zeitung Online: Business
For the sake of conversation, let's give Williams all benefit of the doubt. This was a false memory, of an event from years ago.
The unavoidable truth is that other people who were in the same situation didn't report any such memories.

As a news person he's peddling his credibility. If you were paying his salary would you feel you were getting your money's worth?
Old 02-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
For the sake of conversation, let's give Williams all benefit of the doubt. This was a false memory, of an event from years ago.
The unavoidable truth is that other people who were in the same situation didn't report any such memories.

As a news person he's peddling his credibility. If you were paying his salary would you feel you were getting your money's worth?
I do think Williams has false memories.

In that same link, there are examples of faulty memories about 9/11:

Quote:
Psychologist Lawrence Patihis of the University of California, Irvine, discussed the Sept. 11 attacks with a group of research subjects and found that, when prompted, several could vividly describe seeing video of Flight 93 crashing into a field in Pennsylvania (this video, of course, doesn’t exist). “It just seemed like something was falling out of the sky,” one participant said. “I was just, you know, kind of stunned by watching it go down.”
That said, I do agree that his credibility is definitely on the line and Lester Holt should get some very nice suits from the tailor as he may be sitting in the Nightly News chair for some time .
Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Brian Williams got 6 months suspension without pay:

Quote:
Brian Williams, the embattled NBC news anchor whose credibility plummeted after he acknowledged exaggerating his role in a helicopter incident in Iraq, was suspended for six months without pay, the network said Tuesday night.

Lester Holt will continue to substitute for Mr. Williams now, the network said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/bu...ix-months.html

Sure hope Lester Holt will get some of that lost salary
Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #27

Quote:
False memories are more common than you might think...
It wasn't likely for Brian's case. He kept adding to the story as time goes by, like a typical fish story. The funny thing was ... on a Fox channel show two days ago, the host(ess) and one of her guests tried to defend Brian by saying something to the effect of "it happens to anyone," "we all did this sort of thing." Really? Occasional false memory is one thing. Keep adding on to a lie is another. BTW, Brian already came out with his story and he didn't hide behind false memory excuse. I gave him a small credit for that.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
It wasn't likely for Brian's case. He kept adding to the story as time goes by, like a typical fish story. The funny thing was ... on a Fox channel show two days ago, the host(ess) and one of her guests tried to defend Brian by saying something to the effect of "it happens to anyone," "we all did this sort of thing." Really? Occasional false memory is one thing. Keep adding on to a lie is another. BTW, Brian already came out with his story and he didn't hide behind false memory excuse. I gave him a small credit for that.
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out after the suspension. Will NBC cut ties with Williams and go a different way or not. They could have replaced him with David Gregory, but oh yeah, Gregory kinda mysteriously went MIA and got booted off Meet The Press without explanation.

To replace him or not could be another Leno vs Conan thing for NBC

Good to hold news anchors to a higher standard. If we someday find that Charlie Rose or Bob Schieffer are telling tall tales, then the world is coming to an end
Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
He is, however, in the entertainment business, so rather than puffing to make his reputation, he may have just been trying to make the story sound better. Maybe that's whats wrong with entertainment news.
Sadly, this is true, and he just did his bit to help make network "news" even more irrelevant.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I think Brian Willams is out with NBC. He's lawyered up.

Quote:
The anchor was said to be in a bad place, under self-imposed house arrest in the gilded suburb of New Canaan, Connecticut, conferring with his Washington-based agent/attorney, Williams & Connolly senior partner Robert Barnett, and taking phone calls from a few sympathetic colleagues offering advice as well as from the news division’s PR department. Besides negotiating on behalf of Williams, the ubiquitous Barnett also has represented Turness, possibly creating a thorny situation should talks about the anchor’s future become contentious.
I think the next 6 months is the Lester Holt audition. The bigwigs at Comcast will have to decide if he is lead anchor material or give him the Ann Curry treatment.

Quote:
“The Comcast people have a track record of marching out all these million-dollar figures to buy their way through their problems,” says an NBC News veteran, referring to the Philadelphia-headquartered cable television and broadcasting behemoth, the news division’s parent company. “[Fired Today cohost] Ann Curry cost them a bundle. [Fired Meet the Press moderator] David Gregory cost them a bundle. [Former news president] Steve Capus cost them a bundle. But Brian Williams is different—he’s a $50 million problem. If it was a lot less than that, you’d have to wonder whether they’d keep him.”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ng-at-nbc.html
Old 02-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Just out of curiosity, and not trying to be more of a smartass than I usually am, does anyone really care who is reading the news? I only really know who Brian Williams is from this story, and probably wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a line-up. If asked about him by name, I would probably have thought he was the leader of the Beach Boys. I haven't assigned any integrity to news readers probably since Walter Cronkite, and I'm too young to really know anything about him. I know it's fun when the hypocrisy behind the machine gets exposed, but some of the comments seem to be about who will take his place. Is this something the general public cares about?

I prefer my news readers to be attractive females, but that's a personal preference. Other than that I don't really care who's head is on the screen. I don't believe most of what they say, so it's not like a personality gives credence to the reports. Or am I just off on one of my paranoid conspiracy theories again, and this is something most people care about?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #32

Quote:
I think the next 6 months is the Lester Holt audition. The bigwigs at Comcast will have to decide if he is lead anchor material or give him the Ann Curry treatment.
Funny. If the "evening news" really was a sober analysis of important news from the US and around the world, this might be more meaningful. As it stands, though, the evening programming is more melodrama than news, and critical thinking is conspicuous only for its absence.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

One article said Brian Williams, who loved being a guest on all the late night shows, wanted to be considered for Jay Leno's job, which of course went to Jimmy Fallon. Now Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show. I think I see a solution--just swap the two, as more young people got their news from Stewart and Williams needs a job where people won't have to take him seriously.

PS I adore Lester Holt.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Funny. If the "evening news" really was a sober analysis of important news from the US and around the world, this might be more meaningful. As it stands, though, the evening programming is more melodrama than news, and critical thinking is conspicuous only for its absence.
I don't watch cable and glad I don't as so much of that "news" is just folks yelling at each other trying to get the last word in. I don't watch CBS with Scott Pelly as though he's credible (at least as far as I know ), watching him makes me feel like I'm sitting in a dull history class. I don't watch ABC news with David Muir as he looks like someone with a bad imitation of Brian Williams.

For me with Williams suspended, now it's a choice between Lester or history class
Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just out of curiosity, and not trying to be more of a smartass than I usually am, does anyone really care who is reading the news? I only really know who Brian Williams is from this story, and probably wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a line-up. If asked about him by name, I would probably have thought he was the leader of the Beach Boys....
Well, more like B-Dubs than the Beach Boys
Old 02-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #36

Quote:
I don't watch cable and glad I don't as so much of that "news" is just folks yelling at each other trying to get the last word in. I don't watch CBS with Scott Pelly as though he's credible (at least as far as I know ), watching him makes me feel like I'm sitting in a dull history class. I don't watch ABC news with David Muir as he looks like someone with a bad imitation of Brian Williams.

For me with Williams suspended, now it's a choice between Lester or history class
The evening news program I prefer is The PBS Newshour. DW prefers another, she's the boss, so that's that.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Brian Williams has the best eyebrows and sad puppy eyes on tv - nothing has changed there and he is a story teller by trade - guess I just don't see the fuss. I'm sure not expecting him to be other than human. Humans have warts.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Brian Williams has the best eyebrows and sad puppy eyes on tv - nothing has changed there and he is a story teller by trade - guess I just don't see the fuss. I'm sure not expecting him to be other than human. Humans have warts.
Would be ironic if 6 months from now he's back in the anchor chair reporting on the findings of deflategate

I think the question is can his image recover. The range is probably from folks who think "What? He was off the air?" to "Liar, liar, pants of fire" and everything in between.

If after 6 months, NBC decides he's too much a liability and go separate ways (payout like Conan?) and NBC decides to give someone else the anchor chair not named Lester Holt (who paid his dues), I don't see why Lester would want to stick around either.

Or maybe Williams and his lawyers feel the 6 months suspension is too harsh and prefer to part ways?

I've even read a rumor that Brokaw wants his old chair back.

Only time will tell.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The evening news program I prefer is The PBS Newshour.
Don't watch regularly, but for most stories they cover they provide a talking head from each side of the issue. And not the frothing-at-the-mouth talking heads often featured on other outlets...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Jon Lovitz ‏@realjonlovitz Feb 8
I just misremembered. I wasn't on the helicopter that got hit. No... I was the helicopter! Yeah, that's it.